Poo Problem...

Guest Lgyure85

Guest Lgyure85

So here is our problem- Maddie eats when we get up to go to work in the morning, then goes out right before we leave. There is about half an hour in between the two. Inevitably, she poops while we're gone. It's always near a door, as if she wanted to go outside but couldn't. As long as we watch her closely, is it OK to feed her the whole amount of food once a day, instead of splitting it up? We've had her for 7 months now and almost every time we are gone in the morning she poops.

Also, if it's unsafe to feed her only once a day, what other options do we have?? DH shot-down the diaper idea...

I know of other people who's dogs thrive eating only once a day. I wouldn't usually recommend it, but under the circumstances I would give it a try. The other option is feeding her half right when you get home and the other half a few hours later. Either way, make sure she gets a treat or 2 in the morning, because they can sometimes throw up some bile if the stomach is to empty.

Guest awvase

We feed our 3 at night, they are not morning hounds so feeding before 10am is not going to happen. We tried to do the twice a day, but our found that once a day works for them.

I know of other people who's dogs thrive eating only once a day. I wouldn't usually recommend it, but under the circumstances I would give it a try. The other option is feeding her half right when you get home and the other half a few hours later. Either way, make sure she gets a treat or 2 in the morning, because they can sometimes throw up some bile if the stomach is to empty.

This was my thought, too. Split it up into an early and late evening meal as long as you don't go to bed right away after the second meal.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

My dogs eat once a day. I think it's not a problem at all as long as you don't let her run hard for a while after eating. What I would do is take her out or for a walk when you get home and then feed her. That way she will have time to potty before bed so you don't trade the current problem for having to get up in the middle of the night. ;)

I'm surprised that she can't hold it through the day though. Are you giving her a lot of fibre or perhaps feeding a bit too much?

Also, I'd make sure you clean the common accident spots with Nature's Miracle or a similar special pet cleaner, if you haven't been already.

Guest Lgyure85

Thanks for the help. We can't crate her (it was really bad the two times we tried) but we will start by trying only feeding once a day. The reason for this topic is that I came home to an exceptionally bad mess today. Not only did Maddie (and our Boston Bruce) poo, but they walked in it A LOT!!! Wish us luck!!

Years ago, everyone fed once a day. I wouldn't do it, personally, but it's not "unsafe." Probably just not much fun to go 24 hours between meals.

Dogs typically will poop if you get them moving; any change you can work a walk in before work?

I get up, take my dog out quickly. Feed him, then have coffee and such, and then we go for a walk. He ALWAYS poops on the walk, sometimes twice.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Paige12

So here is our problem- Maddie eats when we get up to go to work in the morning, then goes out right before we leave. There is about half an hour in between the two. Inevitably, she poops while we're gone. It's always near a door, as if she wanted to go outside but couldn't. As long as we watch her closely, is it OK to feed her the whole amount of food once a day, instead of splitting it up? We've had her for 7 months now and almost every time we are gone in the morning she poops.

Also, if it's unsafe to feed her only once a day, what other options do we have?? DH shot-down the diaper idea...

Yes, it's safe. I've been doing mine like that for several years and it helps regulate their potty schedules. They do get a milkbone or two during the day as well.

They feed once a day on the track, too. Dogs in the wild often go days without eating, and then eat as much as they can when they do get to eat. Bloat is not as common in greyhounds as everyone makes it out to be.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest greytloves

The only revision I would think to all of the above is to maybe start with just cutting her back by 1/2 for a week or so to get her system used to the change. Her stomach is accustomed to getting food in the morning and not getting it may make for an upset stomach.

I don't do once a day mainly because my girl will vomit bile if her stomach goes too long empty. I think that is something you will have to try out. You may find that just decreasing the morning food to a small amount may work.

Sounds like trial and error and maybe look at what you are feeding!

I agree with your DH. Putting a "diaper" on a dog because the dog is unable to open the door and go potty would be cruelty.

Would it be possible to feed her a little earlier and give her just a cup of food. After work give her the greater amount. Although some dogs do fine with only one feeding, it is putting a lot of food in the stomach at once if you feed kibble.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lgyure85

Update:

We've been feeding once a day for a bit over a week now and Maddie is doing GREYT! She hasn't had an accident since, hasn't puked bile, and doesn't seem upset about not eating in the morning. Thanks all!

Guest Swifthounds

I feed my hounds once per day, but I feed raw. With all of the carbs in kibble, I don't think I would want to feed once large meal, given the energy and water needed to digest the kibble. You could, as some have suggested, break it up into a meal right after work and another meal later at night or you could just make the morning meal smaller.

Also, you mentioned that she eats when you get up to go to work in the morning and then goes out right before you leave. Does this mean that she only gets one potty opportunity in the morning? If so, this is the likley culprit for the poop accidents. After sleeping overnight and "holding it" a dog's bladder and bowels are full (at least to some extent) from that time period. Once they rise and eat and drink, more food and water are available to be processed by the body. To be blunt, there's only so much room at the inn. By giving a dog an opportunity to empty her bladder and bowels upon rising, you provide someplace for the new waste to go, and the second potty trip allows the dog to empty of that waste as well.

Most instances where there are fewer than 2 opportunities to empty or where there's less than an hour between meals and the last opportunity to empty, you'll see elimination issues while the dog is left alone. I know it's not fun to come home to a mess, but it's not any fun to try to hold it either.

I'd probably try 2 evening meals. Immedialy when you get home - and just before bed and walk.

Once a day is certainly ok.

You could also try a small morning meal - maybe you're feeding too much - and a walk to make sure she has a BM before work.

Good luck. Coming home to poop every day is NOT cool.

Side note- are they runny poops? Maybe the food isn't agreeing with her and you may want to change brands?