Elvis Has Ripped Off A Toenail

He evidently did it this morning while I was asleep. I woke up and thought "what is this wet spot in the bed? -- must be drool". It was a puddle of blood. There's a Hansel and Gretel trail of blood all thru my house and thank goodness for waterproof matress protectors.

I really don't think that it is vet worthy -- what can they do? I put some cornstarch on it and put gauze and vet wrapped it. Wondering if I should run to Tractor supply and get some EMT gel.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest mirthlesstroll

Just keep it clean and it should heal fine on it's own. Melody ripped a dewclaw off a while ago. I cleaned it and wrapped it a day or two, then left it alone. Just check for signs of infection, and give Elvis a big kiss.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

When Bart ripped his dew claw off, I put neosporin on the wound then wrapped it for two days to keep him from licking it. Then sprayed EMT spray for a week after that.

Guest Energy11

I hear EMT gel is wonderful! Here is some of the information from my first aid presentation at Mt. Hounds. ... hope it helps!

Good Luck! We have been down this road with Staggerlee!

Torn Pads; Pulled Nails, Corns, and other foot injuries:

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound.*You can stop bleeding from pulled toe nails with Quik Stop. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury. For small objects stuck in the pad like glass, and other debris, soaking in Epsom Salts helps greatly, and sometimes, the objects will come out on their own.

Molly the drama queen has torn three dew claws in two years :rolleyes: I only bandage if the claw is still hanging on by a thread. It usually drops off in a day or two. I like EMT gel, but the new neosporin spray is easy to use (I don't like the EMT spray) Just keep an eye on it for infection.

My only advice would be that Elvis not wear any blue suede shoes until his tootsie is all better. :P

For Elvis: :dogcookie :dogcookie :dogcookie

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I just bandaged it as it was still bleeding on the floor. It has quit now so I just think I and going to spray it with Neo To Go and call it a day. I did give him some Metacam as I figured it had to hurt but think one is enough. Amazingly I was able to promptly get in touch with his Mom in Iraq and she said the vet was not necessary. He has plenty of Cefalexin but I am hesitant to start it without indication that I need to.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest FullMetalFrank

Clean, wrap if still bleeding; Keflex only if it appears to be getting infected. I am glad that you gave him some metacam as it is very painful at first. I agree that one dose is probably enough unless he still shows signs of it being painful. Frankie has torn off a couple of dew claws so we know the routine!

Edited by FullMetalFrank