Canine Rate Of Digestion

Guest BorzoiMom

Guest BorzoiMom

Google is not helping. What I am looking for is how early to feed a dog before he runs a sport (breakfast before coursing or NOTRA).

I'm thinking 5 AM to get a cup of food for energy for the day if the comp starts at 8:30. OR, have a very late dinner.

Looking to prevent bloat, but have energy for the day.

I normally feed kibble, but I was also thinking satin balls would be better in the AM because it's easier to digest and may move faster out of the stomach.

What are your ideas on this?

Guest Bang_o_rama

It's been about seven months and we are still waiting for the approx. 3" x 12" strip of orange fleece blanket that Bang ripped off and either swallowed or hid in another dimension somewhere. We followed her with scissors for a week....

~D~

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

What you can do is feed "empty" calories before the race to help with energy levels, such as marshmallows or other high sugar items. I will feed a 1/2 breakfast (5am) race day then the races usually start around 9am. I do LGRA with two of my hounds. I freeze marshmallows and bring along bananas (helps to avoid cramping) and even a ding dong. Yes, chocolate. From what I was told by Bart's previous owner, Bart was given a ding dong post race by the race secretary on many occasions. Bart having a roman nose and a very unique personality, he was a favorite among a lot of people at Dubuque. I give a banana before the first race, and marshmallows after the race. If they race more than twice, they get a ding dong after their 2nd race. They will only race 3 times in one day, that is my limit for them.