Survival Time After Osteo Dx

Guest ktarantino

Guest ktarantino

Hi All,

We are two months post dx with osteo in front leg. Just looking to see where others are at that are or have taken the pain management route. Our Freddy is hanging in there, but the tumor gets bigger everyday and I wonder if things will turn slowly or dramatically...just want others stories that have taken or are taking the pain management route.

No info...but lots of prayers!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest SueG201

5 wks with my first, 3 days with the second, ( he broke his leg while b eing x-rayed)

with both dogs the tumor had gone into the lungs, I am so sorry you are going thru this

Cancer sucks

Guest Energy11

Our Max had almost three months post diagnosis. He started out on light pain management, but as time went by, he needed more tha more pain killers, Then, he stopped eating. I had to get Science Diet Prescription AD for him, which he loved, mixed with Chicken Soup for the Senior Dogs Soul/senior. He spent most of his time lying down. When he started hopping on three legs ... we knew it was time.

Yes, cancer is HORRIBLE, but I am glad we had Max for 1.5 years, and he got a chance to move out of Florida with us!

Sending lots of prayers your way!

Guest ktarantino

Freddy is pretty much on three legs, he bears little to no weight on the front leg. He does still love his dinner (chicken and rice or beef and rice since the dx) and he still greets us at the door..but seeing him unable to put his leg down and seeing it blister due to him licking it is rough.. its hard to tell if he is being stoic or just fighting for more time. Cancer sucks...he is only 7

Edited by ktarantino

Guest kelli123

First off I'm so sorry that Freddy has this. Its awful and devastating.

I'm glad you are on here for support. The wonderful people on here have experience first hand and will help you through the way. I had no one but my family and vet. My family had no experience with this and i couldn't call my vet at the spur of the moment every time i was scared. I wasn't on grey talk at that time. I so wish i was now. Just for early morning late night talks or for panic moments some one will always be here for you in your time of need.

For Geno I would have gotten my boys leg amputated but the cancer had already went to his lungs :angryfire Geno lived for 6months just as the doc said. He went from mild pain med to the strongest amounts there where. His leg got huge and finally it broke, some how prob just by laying down. I hope that Freddy can be comfortable in the time he has left and he will tell you when he is ready . I'm sorry I just hate this , I also bought Geno a air bed full size for people and he seemed to be more comfortable on that. We spent allot of time just laying together and i would read the bible out loud every night to him it was so comforting and helped me cope with the inevitable. God bless i will pray for all of you Kelli

2 weeks for Argus. He went downhill pretty fast. :(

ETA: Be generous with the pain management meds, and on the spoiling. At this point you're more concerned with quality of life than the long-term effects of the meds or whether a certain treat is good for him. Take tons of photos. They'll mean a lot to you.

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I only had 6 weeks, practically to the day with 3 of my hounds with osteo. :cry1 This disease is truly a monster. :angry: Apparently there's an aggressive form, and a less aggressive type. :blink: We were not fortunate. Hoping you have MUCH more quality time with your precious Freddy. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Cora: one day. By the time we found it, only the plate inserted to repair her broken leg was holding it together.

Tally: 16 weeks exactly. Then she was suddenly very lame despite maximum pain meds. She could have gone on longer with help on stairs etc., but I knew from Cora's experience how she was likely to suffer, and called a halt.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

We had one day short of 5 months WITH amp/chemo treatments.

I hope your baby breaks every recor and is painfree..

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Hi All,

We are two months post dx with osteo in front leg. Just looking to see where others are at that are or have taken the pain management route. Our Freddy is hanging in there, but the tumor gets bigger everyday and I wonder if things will turn slowly or dramatically...just want others stories that have taken or are taking the pain management route.

Have you considered contacting other GTers such as Neylasmom who have been having some success with pain management and using different treatments to slow the progression of OS. I'm not 100% sure what she has been doing, but I know if I was in your situation, she'd be one of the first people I would talk to because it sounds like Neyla has been doing pretty good these last few months. My first grey died of cancer, not OS though.

There's another thread in health and medical...you may get some good info there too. Again, I haven't read it, but it might be worth a look.

I am so sorry to hear about Freddy, but I hope he has many more good days.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

With my Pretty it was just shy of 3 months with just meds. She had a couple of good weeks just before it went downhill fast. :(

Guest greytfulhounds

My Danny will be 2 weeks tomorrow. We are doing pain meds & Artemisinin. Thankful for every additional day.

Keeping you & your baby in my prayers. :hope

In 10 days Sutra will be 6 months post diagnosis. For pain management he takes Deramaxx. On occasion he takes tramadol as well, but, we haven't used it very often.

I don't know if all of a sudden things will take a turn for the worse, or if we will just have a slow decline. For now, he's doing great. He does have a limp but it really doesn't slow him down at all. The biggest problem we're having is the loss of muscle he's experiencing in that shoulder. I wish there was a facility around here for animal aquatic therapy <_<

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Tuesday will be 5 months for Neyla. She continues to be pain/limp free. :yay

FYI, I started a similar thread a few months ago. Linkif you want to read the responses.

Glad to hear that Freddy is hanging in there. :goodluck that you have a lot more good time with him.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest ktarantino

Thanks All for your support. i am also interested in knowing the ages of your hounds affected. It seems Freddy is so young (7). Anyway, I just hope we are doing the right thing by not letting him go yet..again he still eats and roaches in his sleep, but he is bearing no weight on his leg now and it is the size of a tennis ball... If only he coud talk to me and tell me what to do:)

Neyla is 11, she'll be 12 in March. I have heard osteo is much more aggressive in younger hounds and I don't think it's a coincidence that both Sutra and Neyla are seniors.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Sutra is 12, will be 13 on December 2nd. It is my greatest hope that he will still be with us for his 13th birthday and that he will still be doing well :nod:goodluck

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Jack was with me for 6 months post Dx. I would watch carefully at this stage. Jack didn't start licking at his tumour site until very shortly before I had to let him go. I suspect it is an indication of pain. But otherwise your boy seems to be telling you he has more in him! It is a hard journey I know. You'll have tons of support here!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

My Whizzer was diagnosed a month and 2 days ago. We do what we can. We have good days and bad days. We give as much pain medicine as needed and do what pleases her.

Thanks All for your support. i am also interested in knowing the ages of your hounds affected. It seems Freddy is so young (7). Anyway, I just hope we are doing the right thing by not letting him go yet..again he still eats and roaches in his sleep, but he is bearing no weight on his leg now and it is the size of a tennis ball... If only he coud talk to me and tell me what to do:)

I could have written this post.

Scoop is 5 weeks post diagnosis. He is only 6 1/2 :(

He still eats well, roaches, loves going for an "R-I-D-E" and still loves his daily walk.

He is bearing no weight at all on his left hind leg (his OS is at the knee), and his tumor is the size of a baseball. He has perfected the three-legged hop.

We are treating with pain management only; Tramadol 3x/day, Codeine 2 or 3x/ day and Novox 2x/day.

Some days are better than others. The light is starting to go out of his eyes and I am afraid he will let me know sooner rather than later that he is tired of this horrible monster.

Give Freddy everything and anything he wants. Scoop is partial to DQ vanilla ice cream and chin skritches.

I'm saying prayers for Freddy and for you.