Blood Blister On Hind Leg....anyone Seen This Before

Guest Roxiegirl

Guest Roxiegirl

I am new to this site and have found it very useful so far. I am a new greyhound owner as of last year. My roxie has a blood filled blister on her hind leg and it seems to be getting bigger. It has started to form a crust over it as well. She is white and black and her skin looks pretty pink also. Maybe its just me as but sometimes her skin looks pinker then other times. Has anyone on here had the experience of the blood blister and does this warrant a run to the vet? I probably should get her to the vet asap. The blister is about the size of a large pea. Any comments would be so much appreciated. Thanks!!

Guest ChasesMum

Chase had a benign hemangioma removed, it was about the size of a half a pea, and it was taken off with a local. It could also be a cyst of some sort...

probably that's what it is (benign and nothing to worry about), Our vet said that with the cancerous type hemangiosarcoma, the owners were seeing new little black spots every day.

I would have them look at it next time you are in, or sooner if you have no reason to be back there, especially if its changing or getting bigger etc its better safe than sorry, let the vet make the call. MOst of the time I think they want to remove anything weird and send it away, but if its worth a general anesthetic just for that? I dunno. If anything else needs to be done (dental, spay, sutures) then get that done too. Otherwise see if they can do it with a local.

Edited by ChasesMum

I would suspect a cutaneous hemangioma as well. I have two white greyhounds and they have both had one each, which I had removed, as although they are benign they can progress to the cancerous form, cutaneous hemangiosarcoma. Definitely worth a vet visit, as there are other things it could be too. I was advised to keep both of mine out of the sun, as these growths, and skin cancers in general, are apparently more common in white dogs.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

definately have ur vet check it out. probably hemangiosarcoma. my wht/blk boy Marx has a few of them but he also had a subcutaneous hemangiosarcoma (cancerous mass) removed. ur vet can aspirate it and test for mast cells. marx's lesion was drained but came back. we had it removed and has not returned.

Praying for all the missing greys!

White dogs do get sunburned, and also white animals in general are more prone to skin cancers. It may well be nothing serious at all, but yes, you need to have it looked at. Don't run to the e-vet, a normal appointment should be fine!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck