Crappy Food = Smelly Dog?

Guest giraffe

Guest giraffe

Can certain foods make a dog stink? I came home to a very stinky Zee and I'm wondering if the stuff I gave her this morning has contributed to her odor.

We ran out of dry food this morning (long story) and I opted to give her a sample of this dehydrated dog food that I received at a pet expo-type place a few weeks back. Honestly, the sample looked odd, like dog food soup, so I mixed in a stem each of broccoli and cauliflower and a piece of carrot to make it heartier. She ate the concoction just fine, but WOW does she smell horrible tonight!

FWIW, she'll be back on her usual diet (TOTW in the morning and night, with a slice of Fresh Pet in the mornings) from now on. I'm curious though, has anyone experienced a stinky dog after he/she ate certain foods?

In short, yes. Years ago we had a standard poodle. For whatever reason we switched him to a special diet. Somehow, lost in translation, we weren't supposed to feed him ANYTHING else. He had a stomach of steel and was very well behaved, so he often got leftovers in his dish after we were done cleaning after meals. He started to really stink. After talking to the vet we realized what happened and switched foods.

Guest sirsmom

Ours smell fishy on certain foods; you can actually smell it in their fur. Also, I had one dog that smelled awful while eating a lamb based food.(that was much worse than the fishy smell) :lol

Yes, crappy food can do that. So can non-crappy food with an ingredient that your dog is sensitive to. I agree about the broccoli and cauliflower - those are normally pretty gassy veggies. Does she often eat them with no smelly effects?

Edited by Ola

Others have stated it but I will too... broccoli and cauliflower can make ME stink! I feed a salmon based food and one of my boys smells a little fishy :rolleyes: Oh well.

Guest giraffe

Thanks for the replies. I actually forgot that I posted this thread! :blush.

Zee is back on her normal diet and no longer is stinky. She also got a bath, so that helped too.

About the broccoli and cauliflower mix, she has done fine with that before, and actually had NO gas at all after eating them! So I would be surprised if those veggies made her stink, but who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't say crappy food - any food that just doesn't agree right can make a dog stink! I "upgraded" my first grey to EVO - and he had HORRIBLE gas.

Another time - we were at a group picnic - and someone had my other dog - Diana - try this homemade totally - organic...blah blah blah - stew. OH MY GOSH!!! :eek We drove home 2 hours with all the windows open! And she was a dog that could eat ANYTHING!