Wanting To Adopt With Kids And Cat

mrsmcd7

Hi, I'm Kathy. I have a husband, a 6 1/2 yr old boy (human heh heh) and a 3 year old girl. We rescued a cat 10 years ago that doesn't mind dogs. The agency I am working with is ok adopting to families with kids, but we are required to take a 2 hr class with our kids. I think that sounds like a great idea. Any other advice out there? My husband was never allowed pets growing up, so is understandably cautious, and I haven't had a dog since I was 4, but have always loved them and as long as I can remember, I have admired greyhounds. Thanks!

There's a really good book out there called "Living with Kids and Dogs without losing your mind" by Colleen Pelar. Our group requires that folks with kids read it. It's got lots of great information. I guess the very best piece of advice concerning kids and dogs is to never, ever leave them unattended, even for a second.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Mollysmom10

I got my first grey, Molly when I was single with two rescued lab cats. Over a few years, I got married, had two kids. After six years, Molly passed away last summer and we got a new family member, Fort a month ago. My boys are 3 and 5 and they love Fort. They also know not to disturb him when he is sleeping, eating, in his space or sneak up on him. Molly used to growl when they would play too close, so my boys have been trained well to respect a dog's space. The boys and Fort get along, and he and the cat also are becoming friends. Given that, I would not trust him with the cat alone yet and I am always around when the three "boys" are outside.

The only dogs that my boys have lived with are greyhounds. Some times when their friends come over that have cuddly dogs that they man handle, we have had some issues. (Molly and Fort can be cuddly, but not w/ kids that they just met.) Molly used to get nervous when we had play dates w/ other kids. She would usually get up and leave when it got too loud, but some times she would be followed or touched from behind and spooked - I had to be pretty vigiliant and make sure she had a place to go. Fort came to us right off the tracks. He was a little nervous at first w/ the new noises, the random crying/yelling that comes w/ having small children, but he has adjusted well. He seems to enjoy the chaos that is our home, almost too much...but he does reach a point where he goes and hides.

It's great that there is a class offered about kids and greys, some times it's better for them to hear it from someone other than the parents. :colgate Best of luck to you!!

Guest MichelleRenee

Take the class! It is there for a reason. Sounds like you are affiliated with an awesome adoption agency.

Just making sure the children are respectful of space is the important thing, and supervision supervision supervision!.. The adoption agency will try to match you with the best dog possible with your cats and kids.

Good luck! and look forward to seeing your new hound soon!

Thanks to you all. Fortunately, my kids already know not to bother dogs when eating b/c my mom has a dog that we are around 1-2x/wk, but they definitely need to learn not to bother him/her when sleeping/resting/chewing toys, etc. I agree that the class should be great, esp for them to hear these things from another adult. Thanks for the great advice! I will post a picture of our hound when we get him/her. It will be at least a few weeks, as we have the class in 2 weeks, then they will match us with a dog and probably foster him/her with a family with cats and kids first. I like that the agency people seem to try to do whatever they can to help this transition be easier for the dog and for us!

-Kathy

There's a really good book out there called "Living with Kids and Dogs without losing your mind" by Colleen Pelar. Our group requires that folks with kids read it. It's got lots of great information. I guess the very best piece of advice concerning kids and dogs is to never, ever leave them unattended, even for a second.

Thanks, I got the book today and will read it before our class. I appreciate the advice!

-Kathy

Hi :wave

We have a kid and a dog and we used to have a cat :(. No issues. I think the class is a great idea. Good luck! Can't wait to see pictures of your new houndie!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Sounds like you have a great group. Our girls were 3 and 5 when we adopted our boys and we had 3 cats (2 now sad.gif) and have never had any issues / concerns. Teaching children what is acceptable/not is the most important thing, obviously. I don't know of any magic secrets, but our girls can take items from the dogs (like shoes / mitts / dolls, etc) by trading up and giving them a dog toy, they occasionally feed them, give them treats, even hold the leash while walking. Once you get to know your pup, you will find what works for you / your family as things are never the same among different dogs. But we, as well as our group, I think, are very happy with the relationship our girls have developed with the dogs. We still watch / supervise them (just because we are comfortable doesn't mean we can be complacent) to make sure all continues positive - after all, they are dogs and kids.

Since we've had the hounds (almost 2 yrs), a 'stand out' item for me has been that the girls were always involved with the hounds, but never too much so as to annoy them or anything. We are a big happy family and everyone has and knows their place. I think you can only get there by having everyone engaged, kids, hounds, cats, adults, etc in everyday activities. Sharing responsibility truly build the relationship. Good luck, have fun!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Once again, thanks so much to all of you for encouragement and advice. Bruciedad, that is encouraging to hear your family of cats and kids transitioned well with the greyhounds. Another piece of advice I need is that I would like to build a dog run (mainly for potty purposes) because we have 1 acre that is too expensive to fence. I plan on walking the dog a few times a day (I do that anyway by myself!), but would like to have a safe potty area. Any advice? Anyone build your own?

Thanks,

Kathy

You can get inexpensive steel post and wire fencing at your local home improvement store and fence in a small area. A roll of 200ft of wire fence runs about $50, irrc, and the posts are about $4 each. Make sure you get fencing that is at least 4' tall :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Best of luck - and welcome to the wonderful world of Greys!!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Please get "Greyhounds for Dummies" I still use it after 4 1/2 years and go to it for training/health/etc. Good luck and it sounds like your agency wants to set you up to succeed.

All the advice given above is great. Your situation is similar to mine when I adopted my first boy nearly two years ago. My kids were 7 and 11 then, we had two cats and a husband who was NOT a dog person. We also had an unfenced acre lot (my adoption group insisted on having a fenced area since my 11-year old son, who is small for his age, was going to be first person home and responsible for that turn out. They were concerned that under the "right" circumstances, a greyhound could pull him over if very determined to chase something during a leash walk.

Since about half my backyard is wooded and the other half grass (that I can get to grow under the shade, that is) with a "woodland border about 5-8 feet wide that creates a buffer between grass and woods. I decided to run the fence at the back edge of the woodland border. I did split rail with wire mesh (fits in with our neighborhood.) It was definately more costly than putting up a small run, but I'm really glad I did it. It looks really nice (almost blending in with the woods) but the best part is how much fun my boys have playing out there. Here's a

I made of them running around. You can see what I'm trying to describe there.

Also, one more book suggestion: The Best Finish: Adopting the Ritired Racing Greyhound by Carol Raeke. Finally, it sounds like you found a really good adoption group to work with. Work closely with them and they will find the right dog for your family and help you adjust to your lives together.

Best of luck. I look forward to your post when you have a new ddition to your family to introduce.

Mom to:

Littermates Ringo (Pak Sgt Pepper)at the bridge, Paul (Pak Penny Lane) and John (Pak Let it Be). The three reunited Beatle Brothers.

All the advice given above is great. Your situation is similar to mine when I adopted my first boy nearly two years ago. My kids were 7 and 11 then, we had two cats and a husband who was NOT a dog person. We also had an unfenced acre lot (my adoption group insisted on having a fenced area since my 11-year old son, who is small for his age, was going to be first person home and responsible for that turn out. They were concerned that under the "right" circumstances, a greyhound could pull him over if very determined to chase something during a leash walk.

Since about half my backyard is wooded and the other half grass (that I can get to grow under the shade, that is) with a "woodland border about 5-8 feet wide that creates a buffer between grass and woods. I decided to run the fence at the back edge of the woodland border. I did split rail with wire mesh (fits in with our neighborhood.) It was definately more costly than putting up a small run, but I'm really glad I did it. It looks really nice (almost blending in with the woods) but the best part is how much fun my boys have playing out there. Here's a

I made of them running around. You can see what I'm trying to describe there.

Also, one more book suggestion: The Best Finish: Adopting the Ritired Racing Greyhound by Carol Raeke. Finally, it sounds like you found a really good adoption group to work with. Work closely with them and they will find the right dog for your family and help you adjust to your lives together.

Best of luck. I look forward to your post when you have a new ddition to your family to introduce.

Great video!! (But I was a bit disappointed it wasn't set to Helter Skelter or something Beatles that's equally frantic!!) Met you at Dewey last week!

Sorry to hijack your thread...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest Lovemyhound

I was reading the nutritional info listed, and I have a rather dumb question. How many (40lb.)bags of food does one greyhound typically eat in a month? Thanks! (Trying to budget for new hound)

ummm... one? :dunno

Depends on how much they eat/day. I don't usually watch the calendar in relation to my dog food purchases, but I think it's somewhere around one bag/month. My girl eats just less than 2 cups/meal, maybe 3 & 1/2 cups/day, and again my 40lb bag of food (Verus Menhaden fish and potato :) ) lasts about a month. I think I'm gonna mark a calendar next time, to satisfy my own curiosity! ;):nod

oh, and eta: I have 2 teenagers, an 8 yr old, 2 cats and a Pomeranian at home with my 2 greyhounds - 1 of my own and 1 foster. It CAN be done, easily. (See my siggie?) :D Good Luck!

Edited by Lovemyhound

Guest mom2hounds

We just adopted our first grey in April. Our son was 6at the time. We have had nongreys his whole life so he has been raised with proper dog rules. Our grey Forti has been wonderful with him from the 1st day we met her. Our adoption group recommend 3 different dogs to walk and visit based on our family (including dogs). She was the first dog we walked. We walked her for about 5 minutes and my son said "let's take her home". She also was great when we introduced her to our other 2 dogs. The best advice I can give is to trust your adoption group to help you find the right hound. I also found the book Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies very helpful. Our adoption group also recommends the book Childproofing Your Dog. With having 3dogs we decided to fence in part of our yard. We have a 5 foot chain link fence off the back of the house. It is about 20 by 50 feet and works well for potty breaks.

Best of luck with finding your new family member.

I was reading the nutritional info listed, and I have a rather dumb question. How many (40lb.)bags of food does one greyhound typically eat in a month? Thanks! (Trying to budget for new hound)

Welcome. I have 1 greyhound named Maddie. I buy her 44 pounds of food at Sam's Club and it can last us about 6 weeks. That is her eating about 1 1/2-2 cups 2 times a day with some water in it. The reason I know that is I pay with my credit card and it is about every 6 weeks that I am in there buying a new bag. I also put it in a plastic container in the house that holds a little under 8 pounds and we go through that in a little over a week.

Ok I need to find something to do besides count when my dog's food runs out LOL.

Again Welcome to Greytalk and enjoy getting your new family member.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Totally depends on the dog and the food.

My dog seems to eat less than most dogs on Greytalk--he gets one cup twice a day. I don't use a bag of food a month. His food also doesn't COME in 40 pound bags...

Don't forget to budget for heartworm treatment, flea/tick treatment, vet care, and of course the hound's wardrobe of clothing and collars! colgate.gif

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest isntitgreyt

Welcome!! I have 5 GH's, 1 Boston Terrier, 2 Cats, my husband, and 2 kids. My kids were 6 and 3 when I got my first GH. The most important thing to teach your kids is respect for dogs. My house is like a zoo at times but it works for us. My DH is not a dog person at all but he is a cat person. I'm not the cat person so we equal out!!

I go through a 40 pound bag of dog food every week but I also feed 6 dogs with it. I have never only had 1 dog so I couldn't tell you but I would think it would last a month depending on how much you feed.

Take the class!! That's a wonderful idea your group has with doing a trainging class with kids.

Good Luck!!

Went to kennel Saturday. We chose a dog (or rather, he chose us). He is 80#!!!! I'm assuming he may even get bigger, since he is recently off the track in September. He is a big bundle of sweet. Can't wait to get him (foster lady has to deliver him to us) Don't know how to post a picture here.....

Congrats!! Depending on his current versus his racing weight, he may need less than you think. He won't get "bigger", but he should probably gain about 5 pounds more than his racing weight. His last couple ribs should still be visible, though some people prefer a bit more weight on their dogs. As long as you are in that ballpark, everything will be fine! Good luck!

Derek

• 1 year later...

Was looking through my old threads on here and saw your blog about the ironman. Great job! You are inspiring. Especially the pic of your greyhound on his back in your chair.....how in the world? J/k.

Congrats!! Depending on his current versus his racing weight, he may need less than you think. He won't get "bigger", but he should probably gain about 5 pounds more than his racing weight. His last couple ribs should still be visible, though some people prefer a bit more weight on their dogs. As long as you are in that ballpark, everything will be fine! Good luck!

Was looking through my old threads on here and saw your blog about the ironman. Great job! You are inspiring. Especially the pic of your greyhound on his back in your chair.....how in the world? J/k.

HA! Thank you Kathy - that is really nice of you!!

Brucie is a complete goofball and will do anything for nothing. We can rough house, run/chase, air snap, lie on top of him, etc etc....basically whatever. He is quite a mellow hound and will roach if we start playing with him in his bed (or ours), hoping for some good belly rubbing! He's just a very happy go lucky dog, not burdened by a single thing in life!

How come we haven't seen much of your pup over, oh, the last YEAR! There are rules, dontcha know!! camera.gif

Derek