Apple Seeds

Guest Cara_Lea

Guest caiteag

So I screwed up. I had an apple last night.. got distracted by something and didn't throw the core out right away. Show found it a few minutes ago and started chomping on it. I got it off of him, and it still had pits in it.. but I know apple seeds can be toxic.. and I don't know for sure if he got any. If it did, it was likely only one or two... but still.. should I be calling the vet or is it one of those things like chocolate that he would need to ingest a LOT of for it to be a problem?

I think they are only toxic in large numbers. The ASPCA does have a poison line, too, if you want to ask questions.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest WhenIGiveIn

Same as chocolate

hotpinkbullet.jpg Apple seeds, cherry pits, peach pits, pear pips, plums pits, and apricot pits contain cyanide, which is poisonous. While a few apple seeds may not cause a problem, the effects can accumulate over time if they are given to dogs regularly. Dogs should not be allowed to chew on a peach pit, cherry pit, apricot pit, or plum pit. Chewing can allow ingestion of cyanide. Chewing could also result in the pit being swallowed, causing continuous exposure to cyanide, or could cause the dog to choke.

Guest caiteag

I called my vet and she said that because we weren't sure what he got... that it was probably best to induce vomiting... poor Show isn't a happy boy right now.. but I guarantee there aren't any apple seeds in that tummy.

I don't think it was anything to worry about. My previous non-greys have eaten lots of apples and apple cores over their lives with no ill effects. Not every day or anything, of course.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Ugh. I worry about that all the time too - I'm such a klutz and I drop apple seeds sometimes. I end up scouring the kitchen to look for them because Sagan is a vacuum-cleaner dawg :rolleyes:

Sorry you had to induce vomiting. Poor Show Show! I'm sure he'll feel better soon!

:bighug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Normally, if your dog is swallowing the apple seeds rather than chewing them, I think you've got less to worry about. You'll probably be seeing the seeds again.

Now, chewed seeds are definitely riskier...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I gave an apple core with seeds every day to my first grey, Eve. She made it to age 13.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter