Mri -- Have You Done One ?

update in separate post -- she had MRI at 10am this morning :) link to update post: update link

we had not planned on doing it today (which is why I posted looking for other folks' experiences) but we ended up really needing to do it asap.

thanks!!!!

some of you may know Rainey has been having unexplained seizures since (at least) 8/17 -- she's had 5 Grand Mal's and 2 focal (at least) -- the 2 focals and then the 5th grand mal was yesterday. Since she clustered we took her to the Evet and she's been there since yesterday.

after the 3rd one (first was 8/17, then 8/25 then 8/30) we took her to see the neurologist at the same evet -- on 9/2. He wanted to do an MRI and spinal tap then. We were too afraid to, since she has to be put under, and she's 10 (she actually turns 10 today :().

have you or do you know of anyone that has had an MRI done? was it worth it? At this point, when an older dog like Rainey starts having seizures, it's almost always due to a brain tumor/lesion. If that's what it is, the doctor said they MIGHT be able to give meds that would slow down the growth of it. But other than that, I don't see the point in doing it and putting her through it all?? She's on meds (Keppra) for the seizures but it's obviously not working. If they find a tumor and it can't be treated, there's nothing more we can do. If they DON'T find anything, there's nothing more we can do... this is just so hard :( We can't have her just keep having seizures, we have to do something! :(

thanks in advance for any input :(

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Yes, Onyx had one done when she was 8. She stared having odd episodes where she would seem disoriented. Did not know how to go down stairs, where to go outside, but she did recognize her name and my voice. We went to Dr. Glass at Red Bank Vet hosp (NJ) and he did the MRI.

He said she has "an old brain. The brain of a 12 yr old". But nothing else. Since everything else was ruled out, she was having very mild seisures.

Well, she stopped having these episodes after that. I think it was the anesthesia. Anyway, she celebrated her 15th BD 2 weeks ago.

Haven't done one. Have considered it. The question I would have for the neuro vet is, Given her symptoms, are the MRI/spinal tap likely to show us anything that would alter our course of treatment? Example might be meningitis (the guy currently doing some remodeling for us had a dog with it), blood clot?, don't know what else.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Kim, we had an MRI done on Butkus, and yes, it was worth it. It showed that he had a glioma brain tumor, and having an MRI-verified glioma is what made him eligible for the clinical trial at the University of Minnesota that has saved many dogs' lives. While Butkus was too far gone to be cured, it gave us valuable extra time with him. It was SO worth it...Please let me know if you'd like information on the study or just to talk....I've been keeping you and Rainey in my thoughts.

The question I would have for the neuro vet is, Given her symptoms, are the MRI/spinal tap likely to show us anything that would alter our course of treatment?

This is what I would do as well, and depending on the answer, then would make the decision.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

thanks for the advice, guys :(

she's having it done at 10am :( I pray we are doing the right thing.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest greytlady93

I will offer my thoughts and experiences as I have been faced with this decision 2x's.

The first time was with my Chloe. I brought her home as a 14 wk old puppy. Shortly after her 1st birthday, she woke on her bed and couldn't stand up without screaming. Off to the U of P emergency room. We began testing for all kinds of things. They couldn't find anything. Finally suggested an MRI. This was almost a year later, she had just turned 2 and was on massive doses of prednisone, which ultimately caused Cushings. The Neurosurgeon at Penn told me that anything we would find at that point on the MRI would only confirm a diagnosis.

My question to him, "What if she were your dog?". He replied that he wouldn't do the the test, he'd simply keep her as comfortable as possible because no matter what we found at that point, it would be life threatening. It was the first time I worried that I was trying too hard. I was determined to save a pup who could not be saved. More importantly, we could only barely control her pain and those medicines were killing her. The decision was no MRI. We tried one more thing. Massive doses of strong antibiotics in case there was something that wasn't coming up on the tests. This is a brief explanation and an oversimplification. The fight to keep her alive lasted 1 1/2 and involved multiple vets and hospitals.

My second experience was with my Nera. She was a 9 yr old that had become a part of my pack when a friend died. One night while walking in the backyard, she started screaming. There had been no running, falling, etc. We decided to do the MRI after xrays and other tests indicated the probability of a ruptured disc. The MRI enabled a surgery to correct the spinal problem and she lived well into her 13th year.

If the MRI will bring about a diagnosis that will enable you to "fix" or provide quality of life, it's seams only reasonable to proceed. If the options the MRI will provide you ultimately end in a death sentence (I'm sorry if that seems harsh) I would discuss attempting treatment without the MRI. If it is a tumor, would you put her through surgery at 10 if it probably won't be completely successful? Will her other health issues complicate the surgery? Will they attempt the meds without the MRI? If not, why not?

I have seen vets do massive ammounts of costly diagnostic tests and then realized if we even found a diagnosis, we couldn't give the pup a quality life.

This is a very personal decision. Everyone will not necessarily agree with the decision you make. Follow your gut and your heart.

Best wishes

I know you've gone ahead, but FWIW, here's what I did when faced with the decision:

My then 3 yr old cat that had odd neurological symptoms. The neurologist wanted to do an MRI and spinal tap. Unfortunately, there was an equipment issue, and they couldn't do both at once. I opted to do the MRI on the grounds that if it was a tumour, I was not going to prolong her life (she was circling, and had to be confined in a dog crate due to lack of balance). The MRI showed inflammation, but not a tumour. We then reconsidered the spinal tap, but it would have meant a second anesthetic, and probably would not alter the course of treatment. So I refused it. She was put on steroids (first dex, then pred), remains on pred, and is an outwardly happy, healthy 7 yr old.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Waiting for an update on Rainey and thinking of you.

When Rex was so bad the specialty vet told me it was either an inoperable smorle's nodule that had ruptured into his spinal cord or GME and an MRI would tell which it was. Lucky me -- they had an opening right then for $1,200 -- If I didn't take them up on it I might have to wait weeks for another opening. I felt like I was in a used car lot. I said I needed to talk to my primary vet. Rex was in terrible pain that nothing seemed to fix. My vet said why spend $1,200 to find out which of the two bad things it was.

Your situation is a bit different and I am sure the MRI will bring you peace of mind. Thoughts again for you and Rainey.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Yes, Onyx had one done when she was 8. She stared having odd episodes where she would seem disoriented. Did not know how to go down stairs, where to go outside, but she did recognize her name and my voice. We went to Dr. Glass at Red Bank Vet hosp (NJ) and he did the MRI.

He said she has "an old brain. The brain of a 12 yr old". But nothing else. Since everything else was ruled out, she was having very mild seisures.

Well, she stopped having these episodes after that. I think it was the anesthesia. Anyway, she celebrated her 15th BD 2 weeks ago.

wow...I can only HOPE that by some magic just going under does the same thing for Rainey. :)

15, holy cow!!! Happy Belated Bday to your sweetie :)

thanks again to everyone !!!