Our New Grey Settling In Great But Having "paint Peeling" Gas

Guest avadogner

Guest avadogner

Hi everyone,

Augie is settling in beautifully. He has only been home for 5 days and he's a dream except one very stinky problem. He has horrible gas. Our other grey occasionally rips a "paint peeler" but Augie is letting em' loose every 30 minutes and they are so bad. I've been a RN for 15 years and for me to say it's horrible it's highly toxic. We gave our greyhound adoption group a small bag of our food to introduce to his diet so he has been on our food Pro Plan Senstive Stomach mixed with Authority Senior. I've been giving his 3 tablespoons of yogurt with each meal but the poor guy is still having diarhea and passing toxic gas. He doesn't seem to be stressed but I know he is still getting acclimated to our home. How long should I wait to see if it stops or should we see the vet right away? He just had a full check up with his neuter and teeth cleaning two weeks ago. Any tips would be appreciated. We went through terrible food alleriges with our first grey and ended up on the Pro Plan sensitive GI. We were hoping to be able to have him on only the Authority since it's a little less pricey. He;s 85 lbs and the Pro Plans Sensitive is over $40 for 30 lbs. Please help!

-ava and augie's mum wearing a gas mask

Ha, I know what you mean! Summer had terrible gas when she was settling in. In her case, we just (barely) lived through it and it stopped after a while. I found it improved once we treated her hookworm, I assume Augie is worm free? And you're lucky you can get a 30 lb. bag for $40 :eek I'd love to be able to pay that little, kibble is pricier up here.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Has he been checked for worms? If not, that is your first step. If he has been checked I really don't think a week or 2 is long enough for him to adjust to a new food. I usually take from 3-4 weeks to switch foods. Plus, even if he's not showing it other ways, this could be stress related from just moving in with you. Right now I'd wait a few more weeks before I'd do anything. Good luck and it may be worth investing in a gas mask. Hopefully your boy isn't like mine, because mine had the gas and diarrhea for a year.

Congratulations on bringing home your new friend! FWIW, with my Segugio, yogurt was the cause of his PPG (paint peelin' gas). It doesn't agree with all of them ;) It could also be the kibble, he's too new to know what is ultimately going to work for him. Maybe first try leaving out the yogurt and seeing how he does with the kibble, and go from there. The key is not to change too many things at once so that you'll know what is working and what isn't. Good luck!!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Swifthounds

Ditch the yogurt. A fair number of dogs have some level of lactose intolerance ranging from a bit of gas to the Big D and cramping. Despite the popularity of adding yogurt to a dog's food based on the notion that the cultures with help the gut, there's a near zero possibility that any of those cultures in an unstable format and such low quantity actually survive their encounter with a dog's stomach acid and do any good.

To calm a GI tract in a nervous dog, try slipper elm bark (in capsule or powder), just to settle things a bit. Be mindful that the SEB is just for the dog's comfort and is a band-aid for the problem. IF he's still having problems after the settling in period, you probably will need to change the food.

Authority is pretty high grain and low meat. Any one of those grains (or the combined effect) could be irritating his gut. It could also be the change over combined with the new digs, or just all the settling in.

I would feed him what he was used to for now, and give some SEB to get you through.

The only thing that finally did the trick for Wendy was a very low/to no grain diet and adding Fortifora once a day to her meals. I get it from Entirely pets -

http://www.entirelypets.com/fortifloradog.html

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

When our dogs had PPG, we added these Enzymes to their food. Cleared things up within a day. We know it worked when a few months later we ran out and the PPG was back within 24 hours. We've since switched them to raw and that eliminated the problem at the source (we tried 5-6 kibbles over many months at first....never figured out what was causing the issue).

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

FWIW: DesiRay just went through a spell of nasty diarrhea & even nastier gas. On the way to the vet, I threatened to make him run alongside, it was so bad.

Anyway, when your guy had his physical, he probably had a fecal; did they do a gram stain? That's how we found DesiRay's problem,

clostridium...first symptons, diarrhea & VERY stinky gas. :eek

Good Luck....

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest TBSFlame

It took Flame 4 months to get over his stinky problem. He never has bad smelling farts now. Most of them take a couple of months. I kept a can of air freshener on the table and by the bed. He was so bad it would wake me up. I would reach over and pick up the can and spray the air. lol. Thank goodness it does get better. :rolleyes:

Guest ctgreylover

I agree with ditch the yogurt. if you have rawhide treats, stop those too. It helped with Tony's gas and runny poops. try some pumpkin to firm things up. Its part of settling in too.

Nothing new to add, but I can echo that Asta's gas situation (though not a huge problem) corrected itself once we stopped regularly giving yogurt.

Lisa

Dog mama to angel-boy Ewan (racing name Atascocita Ewan), 3/26/10 to 8/23/20, and angel-girl Asta (racing name Pazzo Asta), 6/16/01 to 9/7/13.