Another Food Switching Question

Guest lasharp1209

Guest lasharp1209

I've been transitioning gradually from one food to another and we are up to half and half old/new food. Blade's poops are worse than they were before (pretty runny this morning). Should I go ahead and rule out this food or should I keep going until we are at 100% new food and if so, how long should he stay on it before I know if it agrees with his system or not? I hate to put him through runny poo for longer than I need to :(

I'm going to run a fecal sample by the vet this week too, just to make sure there isn't anything else going on. You never know.

I don't continue if the poops get worse. My dogs never get better on a food with time.

I usually start out giving @ 1/3 new food, 2/3 old food for a couple days until I see some "new food" poops; if better, then 1/2 and 1/2 for a day or two; if still better, then full steam ahead. Poop gets worse at any point? The end.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest lasharp1209

Great! That's exactly what I needed to know. I hated to waste time on something that wasn't going to work, especially at the expense of my boy.

I change mine over a 4 day period and if there's diarrhea by then that's the end of the new food's chance to get 'listed'

Peggy, my current Grey, doesn't tolerate Lamb as it's just too rich for her system. What I do is alternate seasonally a quality turkey & rice and fish & rice kibble.

I've often thought it might be nice to feed Orijen, but having seen that Peggy digests best of all (but with a lot of poop) on a regular Greyhound mix I've never gone there in case it is too rich. It would be double the price of shat she has now too.

I changed mine over 30 days because I have one who is very sensitive. They never got worse on it though. I did attempt a switch with a different food that one got way too firm and the other was too soft - what a bunch of crazy kids!