Dumping The Water Bowl

Guest zoolaine

Guest zoolaine

Zuki's new favorite "thing" is dumping the water bowl all over the floor. Doesn't matter where the bowl is at, if it is plastic or metal, or how full it is, she can dump it. I bought an automatic waterer but Luna, who has kidney issues, is very afraid of the scary bubbles and noise made by it. Luna will not use it and I am afraid her not drinking is going to make her kidney issues worse. (she is already acting kinda daffy - hanging out between the wall and back of the couch, etc - so I do not think she is going to get use to the noise of the automatic waterer. When I only had that out, she would drink but very little and if it ever bubbled forget it , she was done.

Anyone have a water dumper and any advice on her to get Mizuki to leave it alone. I swear I hear her snicker when she does it too :lol

A photo after she helped me paint

Zukipaint2.jpg

omg :lol I had to look twice to see the creativity enjoyed by your "helper" :lol

With a horse who rushes meals, we put rocks in the bottom of their feed tubs; rocks big enough that they can't swallow them or try to eat them, it just takes them a while to work on their grain. You could try something like that with Zuki? There are "weighted" bowls available, not sure if that would do the trick. Good luck! She is a beautiful brindle (no paint required) :)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest BooMooandDoo

can you attach a bowl to a cement block?? :rofl

Good luck. We ended up having to strap our trashcan to the wall using nylon straps. We told friends that we had "earthquake proofed" the house .. you can only imagine the funny looks we got. :lol

Guest mcsheltie

Use a heavy plant stand or make a raised feeder he can't tip it over or paw in. And attach the bowl to the feeder.

Believe it or not I have the same problem with my cats. My Maine Coons make a swamp. I have their water raised so high that they have to stand on their tip-toes to reach it. And I used a stand they can't knock over.

ETA: Put an eye hook in the wall and attached the water dish with a bungee cord. Cement block idea isn't a bad one!

Edited by mcsheltie

lol..i had to really look..i was looking at the floor..lol then i finally saw the green..lol..like looking at those two sided pics..lol

can you attach a bowl to a cement block?? :rofl

Good luck. We ended up having to strap our trashcan to the wall using nylon straps. We told friends that we had "earthquake proofed" the house .. you can only imagine the funny looks we got. :lol

:lol:lol

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Aww, she is so cute! I love brindles.

As to the water bowl - do you have it on a raised feeder? When I volunteered at our local animal shelter, lots of dogs liked to 'dig' in their water bowls and tip them. These bowls were then attached high up by a clip. I think your cutie just likes the action. Try a stainless steel bowl in a raised feeder. It might deter her efforts. Maybe she really wants to tip a paint can... :lol

my terrier used to dig in the self filling waterbowl i had, a small vessel for the water and a good size bottle fit in, he had a blast. it's fun...but seriously,how about the feed buckets w/ handles that can be used in crates aren't that expensive,hang one and put 2 screw eyes into the wall and then use a bungee(hook it into the screw eyes) to secure it so zuki doesn't tip the bucket up and over.

Hector used to pick up his water bowl splooshing water all over the kitchen floor for me to mop up :rolleyes: so now we have those heavy stoneware ones, although I think he's grown out of it now. The one in the main room sits on a small table with its own rug as Hector just slobbers the water all over the floor now.

Edited by moofie

What about using a pail or a coop cup? We have some of each attached to crates in our house. The pails travel well in crates, too.

Pails

Coop Cups

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Aww, she is so cute! I love brindles.

As to the water bowl - do you have it on a raised feeder? When I volunteered at our local animal shelter, lots of dogs liked to 'dig' in their water bowls and tip them. These bowls were then attached high up by a clip. I think your cutie just likes the action. Try a stainless steel bowl in a raised feeder. It might deter her efforts. Maybe she really wants to tip a paint can... :lol

That's what I have to use (for water only). A stainless steel bowl in a raised feeder. Several of my greyts are inclined to cool their jets by standing in the bowl if its on the ground so the only way I can keep their feet out it to raise it. There is a bucket and or pool outside where they can get their dose of foot cooling if necessary.:wub:

Guest fandogs

When we were actively breeding on the farm, we always had at least one (usually more) pups that we called "carryers". They would never leave their water bowl alone.. whether it was inside the kennel (in winter) or outside in warmer weather. We had to use pails and they were hooked to the kennel fence.

There are some good suggestions here for indoor water problems..

I don't have any water problems with my current dogs, but I do have a wading pool outside for "cooling jets", as long as the warmer weather is around.