How To Poop On A Leash?

Guest johnlovesgreys

Guest johnlovesgreys

So we're travelling with our two hounds and I can not get them to poop on the leash. We're moving to a new house but have a couple days before we can move in, so no backyard. I can take them to the dog park, but it's a ways away and I would prefer to just walk them.

Any suggestions to get a shy hound to poop while on a leash?

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

If your hound is shy to eliminate on leash try clipping two leashed together so your hound can get further away from you, as well as do not look at your hound when he/she is sniffing the ground (think of stage-fright). With two, it may be a bit difficult if they choose different directions, but usually this works for me. I foster so I am constantly dealing this type of thing.

Chad

Just be patient. What goes in, must eventually come out.

:nod

John, Laika and Vivie both will be nervous nellies in the beginning. Take them for long walks, they will go. Everyone always does eventually. I have my dogs in a routine of eating and then immediately we go outside, either a walk or the back yard so that they get used to eating at a certain time and then eliminating right after. Sometimes those walks can take a while, just give yourself enough time as well :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest johnlovesgreys

That's a sure thing! I would just like to have some say in where that happens. :)

I had a grey who hated pooping on leash (peeing/marking/leaving p-mail, whole other story!) In fact she was bounced from her first home because of it, they had no yard. She was very timid and shy. I took her on a trip to California, and was able to take her out very early in the morning and late at night when there were few other people or dogs around. She (eventually) did go. I'd try taking them at quiet times, and keep walking :)

Guest AmazinGreyz

At first, it seemed that Ivan was a shy pooper. After we got used to each other, I realized that he needs a two block warm up...then he's good to go! (pardon the pun)

Guest johnlovesgreys

Well. Just returned from the 3rd two hour walk of the day. I mean. 2 hours.

They will eventually poop. I believe you. I just know it'll be the first time I leave them alone to make that one trip I need to make at Target. Ya know?

Sigh.

eta: this is actually lanielovesgreys. john is my DH. I'm drunk posting, so this is my excuse.

Edited by johnlovesgreys

i read"poop on a leash...cracked up and had to see why some one wanted their dog's leash soiled! :eek ......but seriously, just walk them back and forth in a small area and say..."do it" or what ever you want to say. eventually they get the idea. if you are really worried, reward then w/ a treat after. they get it together. kennelmom said it all!

oh, i think the term is poop on lead, :rolleyes:

Guest BorzoiMom

Mirage refuses to eliminate while leashed. She will hold both for days, then do it finally if I also refuse to go to the dog park. She has pooped once in the house and peed once in the house (after having 4 chances to go outside those days). Now she will pee so long as we go to her spot, but if she goes all day without going she gets put in the crate. I'm more stubborn than she is! (and this IS stubbornness, she can "go" while on lead and even do her poop/pee zoomies on the lead)

I'm not supposed to know about this, according to my dog, but apparently if you're a dog you just can't help pooping in areas where other dogs have peed and pooped. It's like playing a card game with trumps as far as I can tell. :-)

Did they do it yet?

If not, try walking up and down the same 1-3 block distance. Don't take them continually new places or they'll just get distracted by new sights and smells.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest tphillips

I found a couple things to help us get to pooping on lead

a buddy who can do it (ours watched our lab and discovered wow cool let me try) along with we started with a 15 ft training lead in our fenced yard with him attached and kept shortening it (this way if we had to drop or anything he was safely confined) till we got to leash. Also used words as both go e.g. go poopy or go potty. So as we went out they both knew what to do. Plus short walks about the block with heaps and heaps of praise. It takes time though nothing was overnight. Time was 4 or 5 months. Now our boy is a seasoned pro and we are back in the house after 5-10 min (weather depending).

Good luck!!! It will come

Guest lanielovesgreys

They have both since pooped. Vivie is a champion pooper and Laika is still nervous. Laika pooped at least 4 times at the dog park when we went on Saturday. And tomorrow we move in. So the adventure is almost over.