Dermatitis And Sprays

Guest Diadado

Are there any sprays/ingredients that cannot be used on greyhounds for dermatitis? Our new foster is very itchy and I wanted to check before purchasing anything.

Thanks!

I don't know much about topicals. I did have a dog once that developed seasonal allergies around this time every fall and I would take her in to the vet for an allergy shot and she would be good to go. After the initial exam to diagnose that it was an allergy all I had to do was bring her in and a vet tech would administer the shot right in the lobby and I only paid for the shot and not an office visit.

The shot was just benadryl so perhaps you could try an oral dose of that and see if it helps.

Guest Diadado

My thought is that I would want to know what was causing the dermatitis before I started

I'd be paranoid that whatever I chose might make it worse.

I was told she had a flea infestation which is now resolved. DH picked up some "Vet's Best" hot spot spray that's all natural and she seemed to enjoy being sprayed tonight. Haven't seen her scratch yet :thumbs-up:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

Have you applied Frontline or Advantix? In my experience it was usually a flea allergy (even if you haven't seen one some dogs are just more allergic than others). I am assuming the new foster came from some kind of larger group, kennel or otherwise, and if possible you could use an oral like Capstar which kills fleas for 24 hours and gives immediate relief then use a topical like frontline. If you have used a flea product then I must sound repetitive (sorry) but as far as a good all around topical? Betagin - usually by RX but maybe on-line? Good luck.

Guest Diadado

Have you applied Frontline or Advantix? In my experience it was usually a flea allergy (even if you haven't seen one some dogs are just more allergic than others). I am assuming the new foster came from some kind of larger group, kennel or otherwise, and if possible you could use an oral like Capstar which kills fleas for 24 hours and gives immediate relief then use a topical like frontline. If you have used a flea product then I must sound repetitive (sorry) but as far as a good all around topical? Betagin - usually by RX but maybe on-line? Good luck.

She was given a flea bath before I picked her up yesterday. I was given Frontline to apply today (24 hours after her bath) which I did. I haven't seen any fleas on her. It's mainly around her rear end.

Guest sheila

She was given a flea bath before I picked her up yesterday. I was given Frontline to apply today (24 hours after her bath) which I did. I haven't seen any fleas on her. It's mainly around her rear end.

If she is chewing or digging around her rear end it could also be an anal gland problem and not a skin problem at all. I had a dog that had occasional issues with this and she would begin to 'worry at' the area on her back right above her tail when she needed her anal glands expressed. She would also begin to scoot her butt on the ground when this happened.