Issue With Lexi

Guest twhitehouse

Guest twhitehouse

So Lexi has always been our dog with issues. From separation anxiety, to fear agression with other breeds, to numerous other little quirks. Well luckily one of her issues has NEVER been space aggression....until last night.

We've had Lexi for 2.5 years and never once has she had any issues at all with people or animals coming into her space. She is a big cuddler and has always loved it when someone would join her on the couch or bed for some loving pats.

Well last night, we were finishing up a movie and Lexi was on her bed on the floor. The movie ended and we started to get up and Lexi started to get up as well...wagging her tail because we might pay attention to her now. DBF joined her on the floor, gave her one pat on the side and she snapped and bit his head. :eek He now has three small, bloody cuts on his head. Granted, I know this is our fault, but she has NEVER had any issues with this before.

I guess mostly, I wish it had been me that she did this to. She's closer to me and I could forgive her. DBF has always had a hard time bonding with Lexi, first because of her issues and then because she seemed like "my dog" and Tess is "his dog." I just feel like he probably will have a hard time trusting her again which is very understandable but I don't want to feel like he has a dog around that he doesn't even like or want.

I guess I'm just wondering how others have dealt with something like this? We obviously won't be cuddling with Lexi anymore, but is there anything more I can do or we can do to prevent this? WHY did it happened? Does the trust ever come back after something like this? :(

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I would be upset too. :(

Do you think he unintentionally scared her? It seems more likely than resource guarding, which I don't think comes on that suddenly. Did you have the lights off during the movie?

Any other different behavior that might suggest something medical is going on, or that she is in pain?

Guest twhitehouse

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I would be upset too. :(

Do you think he unintentionally scared her? It seems more likely than resource guarding, which I don't think comes on that suddenly. Did you have the lights off during the movie?

Any other different behavior that might suggest something medical is going on, or that she is in pain?

The lights were off during the movie, but I don't think he scared her. Like I said, she was looking at him and wagging her tail as he sat down with her. I checked her all over for anything that might be hurting her and found nothing and she was running zoomies in the yard this morning, no problems.

:dunno

Any chance she did it in play? If she was looking at him, wagging, sounds like she was in a good mood. Were her ears back in playfulness? Did she get accidentally stepped / rolled on? Any hurt or illness recently?

This is my personal view based on your description - sounds like a freak accident. Personally, it wouldn't stop me from getting close to her again given she has been a cuddler for 2.5 years. Most would disagree, but I would still 'test the waters' and keep building closeness and bonding. If you watch and feel closely, you can tell if maybe she just doesn't want cuddles anymore or if there is another reason. I wouldn't give up, though, personally. Yes, she is a 'dog' with inherent 'dog' behaviors, but still...I'd keep trying to figure it out, but be vigilant. Use the muzzle if you're more comfortable.

I'll be interested in hearing the wisdom of GT on this one though.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Nick will roll quickly with his mouth open, but in a playful position. I could see my head getting in the way if I wasn't expecting it. Sorry you have to go through anything upseting.

Guest Jubilee251

Any chance she did it in play? If she was looking at him, wagging, sounds like she was in a good mood. Were her ears back in playfulness?

I was going to ask this as well. Jet does an intense air snap when you are petting him and then get up to leave. He will roll around, snapping around your legs and it's quite scary if you're unaware of what he's doing. I imagine it would also bruise or do some damage if he caught us. He's just big and klutzy and doesn't know how much damage he could do. Maybe Lexi was doing this? Did she growl at all?

Any chance she did it in play? If she was looking at him, wagging, sounds like she was in a good mood. Were her ears back in playfulness?

That was my first thought. I know when we're on the couch with Ellie she'll sometimes get suddenly playful, lean over/ lunge forward and do a big air-snap towards us. Someone who never saw it before might misinterpret it as aggression, but it's an invitation to play. It's usually followed by her rolling over and roaching for some belly rubs. I've been bonked in the face before with her nose when she's done it, and I'm sure if she caught me with her teeth it would bleed.

I wouldn't stop the snuggling just yet. Take more precautions if you'd like, maybe don't put your face right near hers for a bit until you're comfortable, but I don't see a reason right now to stop it. Sounds like an accident.

NJGrey and Jubilee - excellent points. I forgot about the air-snapping. My two bozos do it all the time and I can only trust Brucie not to connect. Bumper doesn't quite get that his teeth are sharp (well, they're not really as he has nubs from his canines forward) and he plays a little rough. When Brucie does it, I'm ok as long as I don't move.....think about the Circus and knife throwers....just.....don't......move! lol.gif.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

My two thoughts have been mentioned - either he inadvertantly hurt her (stepping on or putting a knee on a toe or foot), or she was just playing. So much about her intention would have been seen in her body language and posture, any vocaizations, etc.,.

My Toni can be quite scary when she lunges and snaps, plus she growls and makes very outlandish vocalizations. All that could be mistaken for her attacking when she is really playing. If Lexi's been fine before with cuddling, and she seems to not be in pain of any kind, I would urge you to reassure your BF that it was nothing personal and she was most lkely playing with him - although, a little roughly. Given her issues, this could be viewed as a good thing - her playing with a person other than you!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest twhitehouse

I definitely know she was not playing. She does play rough but her reaction was not like that...it was more like her reaction to other breeds when they come near her (she has fear aggression with other breeds as mentioned above).

After having time to cool down and really think about it, DBF thinks he did scare her. Even though she was awake, she had JUST woken up and it was really dark in the room. He thinks he just startled her. He still is angry that she reacted that way but said "he'd let it pass this time."

We'll probably continue to cuddle but just be extra vigilant to make sure she is fully awake and the lights are on!

Thanks for all the advice. :)

Here we mostly don't pet hounds when they're on their beds, especially if they've been settled in for an hour or so. There are exceptions, but they are few (for example, if Gidget is blatantly soliciting tummy rubs). Just too easy to startle a dog (some snooze with eyes open, for example). Could well be that your girl had something on her mind (a drink of water, rearranging in her bed, going out for a pee, whatever) and he did startle her or got between her and her object.

I'm glad your BF is OK but for a few scratches.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest lasharp1209

Blade has gotten to the point of enjoying cuddling with us on his bed, but a month or two ago we had two incidents where he snarled at us and both happened when the lights were off. I think you may be on to something there. Now we just always make sure that he is awake and there is at least a little light so we know he can see us.

I'm sorry this happened, Toni :( It must have felt very shocking, after 2.5 years of cuddling and no space aggression and zero issues on that front.

My first thought was a medical issue, but you say things are fine - then I read about the fact that she had been resting for the duration of the movie and that it was dark in the room. I think you have your explanation there. Merlin has never once snapped at me or bitten me, but he has growled on occasion in the past (not for a couple of years). It's very, very rare for him, but on the 1 or 2 occasions it's happened, it was after I startled him/got close when he was very sleepy or very tired. He sleeps quite deeply after dinner, and when it's time to get up, he visibly hates it if I "nag" him and hurry him along to go for his last pee. I understand because I'm the same way :rolleyes: when I'm really tired, just before I head to bed, I can get pretty grouchy. I just want others to leave me alone and go to bed. I feel this way ESPECIALLY when I wake up after having nodded off on the couch, maybe in front of a movie. I wake up and all I want to go is go to bed.

It's not unreasonable to think that she may have felt the same way. I am sorry that Scott was hurt - I hope he's okay - but I really don't think that you need to draw final conclusions from this one incident. More likely than not, Lexi is still a first-class snuggler and you will be fine. But maybe give her more space when she's been resting or if she's sleepy.

Also - if Scott feels this way about her, she is likely sensing it. I think it would be a great idea if he spent some extra time with her, to build trust on his side again, and to do some bonding. Believe me, it makes a world of difference. I had a hard time bonding with Sagan for a long time, and when I put more energy into spending time with him on a one-to-one basis, and ensured that I kept the lines of communication with him open at all times, talking to him, praising him whenever he did something I liked, encouraged him, etc. -- he sensed it BIG time, and he responded to it. We are best buddies now and I love him to bits. Merlin is and will always be my heart dog but Sagan is my playmate and our bond is SO much stronger now.

Best of luck!

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest LindsaySF

Knowing that she has a history of fear aggression, that would be my guess, that something scared/startled her. If she's always been a cuddler it's unlikely to be space or sleep aggression, that usually doesn't pop up out of nowhere. But having had the lights off recently, having been laying down for a while, etc, I could see how she could be startled. Sorry this happened, it sucks.