The Big D

Have been up all night. Last evening on big walk, Desi had firm, then soft stool.

Didn't think too much of it, it happens sometimes. Out for quickie pee before bed. Nothing unusual.

Every 2 hours, I'd get a bark in my ear. This from a grey who really doesn't "say" much ever. So when he barks at me, I know it's

serious. EVERY TWO HOURS, out for spurts of liquidy choc "pudding."

He hasn't gotten into anything (or have seen no evidence of such) diet has not changed......

I work at a vet hospital, so will take him to work with me this morning (if this pot of coffee kicks in pretty soon).

Complete fecal first...see where it goes from there.

Wish me luck. This is going to be one bummer of a day. Kathy

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

I just went through this with both of my boys, they are fine now with firm poo's. Hoping for you and Desi this is just a stomach thingy. What better job then a vets office when you have a sick pup.

Finally home from work.......Clostridium....why am I not surprised.

My last grey had problems with stomach & bowels, always clostridium. My beagle/lab mix never, ever, ever, has problems with soft

stool, & he sticks his nose in the same places Desi does. His fecals never show any overgrowth of clostridium, either. He's just

one of those super-healthy mutts.

Are greys just more sensitive to this particular bacteria? Any thoughts?

Brought home Flagyl & a couple of Lomotil to stop him up some so I could get some sleep tonight, hopefully.

Think I'm also going to put him on a probiotic & leave him on it forever. Maybe that will help thwart the dreaded bug.

Finally home from work.......Clostridium....why am I not surprised.

My last grey had problems with stomach & bowels, always clostridium. My beagle/lab mix never, ever, ever, has problems with soft

stool, & he sticks his nose in the same places Desi does. His fecals never show any overgrowth of clostridium, either. He's just

one of those super-healthy mutts.

Are greys just more sensitive to this particular bacteria? Any thoughts?

Brought home Flagyl & a couple of Lomotil to stop him up some so I could get some sleep tonight, hopefully.

Think I'm also going to put him on a probiotic & leave him on it forever. Maybe that will help thwart the dreaded bug.

Yours is the first grey I've specifically heard of other than our own Spencer who's had clostridium. We had perfringens, not difficile. Our vet said they only expected to see it in GSD's, which my Internet researches revealed to be an out-of-date opinion. I had to insist that a culture and sensitivity be performed on his poop, and I had to specify Clostridium; sure enough, that's what it was. It took three antibiotics to shake it. This all happened in late '08 and the first half of '09, followed by his having serious IBD. Nobody here on GT mentioned during all of that that any of their greys had had SIBO based in Clostridium. In a strange way I'm consoled at the thought that Spencer isn't the only one! :blush

Our other grey didn't get it, and we don't know why Spencer did. The only difference was that Spencer was taking a powdered Chinese-medicine formula from his acupuncture vet for his lumbosacral stenosis. It was a BIG jar, and I've wondered if the stuff got contaminated. Now I won't give anything that's not in pill form! There was also some thought that since this happened immediately after a dental, which had been followed by an antibiotic, that his intestinal flora may have become imbalanced and allowed this overgrowth to occur. In fact, Clostridium is supposed to occur naturally in the intestinal tract; as I understand it, it's only a problem when it becomes excessive and starts secreting a toxin. But it's also present in soil and other places where it could be picked up.

Poor Spencer got poor me up about four times a night until we got it figured out. You and Desi have my sympathy. BTW, feeding raw seemed to help Spencer where probiotics just messed him up more. It just depends on the dog, it seems.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

We slept all night....yea! Still spewing this morning, but this evening much improved, thank goodness.

I'm going to try the probiotics for a while & see what happens. Thanks all.

Kathy