If This Crate Is Rockin' Come A Knockin'

Guest avadogner

Guest avadogner

Hi everyone,

Augie has been home just 24 hours and he is already going bonkers in the crate. I have spent the first 24 hours giving constant supervsion with only a couple brief naps. i put him in the crate today and went to an area of the house he doesn't have access to and WOW! High pitched screaching and banging against the sides of his crate. I toughed it out in the bedroom listening to him and trying to figure out what was anger and what was danger. In about 20 minutes and then I heard the crate rocking. Ava came running down the stairs to the room and nosed me saying " Help him, help him". I let him out and we all went out in the yard. He had to relieve himself but he can hold it for hours and been out a couple hours ago. He needs to learn to spend time in the crate for when we are away (I am home all the time and DH works long hours). He won't be in there much but I don't want him to hurt himself. He is 85 lbs and solid as a rock. I dont want to reward bad behavior either. Any suggestions?

-augie and ava's mom

Why crate him at all then? I rented a crate just before I got Summer, in case she really wanted one. But I returned it after the first week because she didn't have any attachment or desire to be crated, she was quite happy on the couch or the bed. If he doesn't like the crate... why crate him?

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest kelli123

Why crate him at all then? I rented a crate just before I got Summer, in case she really wanted one. But I returned it after the first week because she didn't have any attachment or desire to be crated, she was quite happy on the couch or the bed. If he doesn't like the crate... why crate him?

Totaly agree with above. Why crate him if hes fine any other time?

I agree. Some greys LOVE their crate, some tolerate it and do OK, some HATE it. Sounds like Augie is the latter. Give him a go outside the crate - muzzle him if he might chew - and see how he does. Baby gate him into a dog-proofed space, or baby gate him OUT of places you don't want him to go. Greys can seriously hurt themselves trying to get out of crates, so it's best to be flexible. It's just not necessary in every case.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Welllll....I understand your desire to creat. Grace was indifferent until she'd been home about 6 months...then she told me "I don't like and don't need it" (except it came in the form of barking and screaming when I left her in the apartment in it.)

Are YOU uncomforatble with him out of the crate, unsupervised? It's okay if you are, it's just the first question you need to answer.

And also remember that a tired dog is a good dog...if he's sleeping he certainly can't bark! :)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Ditto! George HATED the crate.

There's another thread going on about this exact same issue in this forum.

I realize your adoption group probably told you it was important--but some dogs just don't deal with it well at all.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I am of the camp that says if a dog hates his crate do NOT crate him.

Baby gates, muzzles and belly bands can take care of most problems.

There is no rule they have to be crated and the statement "they are used to it at the track" does not fly with me. A crate in your house is not the same as a kennel.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Cardiffcouple

There is no rule they have to be crated and the statement "they are used to it at the track" does not fly with me. A crate in your house is not the same as a kennel.

what do you mean when you say "belly bands?"

Thanks!

Guest 4dogscrazy

I'll answer since it's been a while, a belly band is a band you put around the boy dogs, pretty sure it has a pad inside that holds liquid. They are for dogs that enjoy marking in the house, usually new dogs, or dogs with major bladder control problems. I've never used one, but I think you can type belly band in any search and many web-sites will come up. It's a universal name. If you need that, I'd suggest a new topic, for recommendations from the group. Many people on here foster a large number of dogs, and belly bands are par for the course for bringing new boy dogs home to foster, right from the track.

As for the crate, I'd try keeping him out too. One of my dogs had major anxiety in the crate which escalated to panic attacks. They will hurt themselves trying to get out. Use gates to keep him out of the rooms you don't want him in, mine also do not like to be gated into a room. Never close the door to keep him in a room, most greyhounds will lose it if closed in a room. Use your muzzles. I have four, and they are all muzzled when I leave. You will have to muzzle everyone though. My old lab does not find it amusing, but she gets one too! :) Good luck!

Being home most of the time can make those few trips away difficult for some dogs to deal with. I agree with everyone else on the crate issue and I think it'll all work out much better if start his alone training as well.

He sounds like a rascal. :)

Jenn

Edited by jenn8
gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Guest avadogner

Hi everyone,

I took your advice and have stopped using the crate. Today is Augie's 3rd day home. DH bought 3 baby gates and set them up. Augie and Ava slept in their beds in our bedroom and did great. We have decided to baby gate Augie and Ava in the kitchen since our pantry is a seperate area we can lock. I am going to try gating them in the kitchen and go down the mailbox and stay outside for a few minutes and see how it goes. Thanks for the tips. Our first grey Ava refussed to get of the crate the first 4 days and Augie refused going in after 12 hours. Ava has embrased her role as teacher and buddy and he basically jsut does whatever she is doing.

Thanks again!

ava and augie's mom

Guest sheila

Hi everyone,

I took your advice and have stopped using the crate. Today is Augie's 3rd day home. DH bought 3 baby gates and set them up. Augie and Ava slept in their beds in our bedroom and did great. We have decided to baby gate Augie and Ava in the kitchen since our pantry is a seperate area we can lock. I am going to try gating them in the kitchen and go down the mailbox and stay outside for a few minutes and see how it goes. Thanks for the tips. Our first grey Ava refussed to get of the crate the first 4 days and Augie refused going in after 12 hours. Ava has embrased her role as teacher and buddy and he basically jsut does whatever she is doing.

Thanks again!

ava and augie's mom

good job! When I brought home my first greyhound I did the research and I had a crate all set up and ready and I think I used it for all of 2 hrs the first night. I ended up dismantling it the next day and returning it for store credit which I used to buy dog beds instead. Since then I've have 5 greyhounds total and not a single one has needed or wanted a crate.