Day 2 The Skinny On The Skinnies

Guest avadogner

Guest avadogner

Hi everyone,

Augie came home yesterday and we had a good first day. I am amazed at how Ava has taken on the big sis' role. He is doing well with small steps but can't seem to manage the taller stairs yet. He is EXTREMELY vocal and whines for just about every impulse he has. It is getting a little better but I slept 0 hours last night and managed to work in a 90 min nap while they napped. Ava is the teacher and boss. He didn't understand the dog bed so she laid on his, got up and then looked at him like "that's what it's for you big lug". He has already decided the bed is better than the crate. He went nuts screaching for 30 minutes when I put him in the crate and went to an area of the house he hasn't earned access yet. I put in ear plugs and toughed it out but Ava joined in and it was ear splitting. Ava actually came to me in the bedroom and nosed me saying "help him, please". I ended the time out and let them out and wow he really had to go. He hasn't eaten anything except a treat despite being offered food several times. Ava on the other hand is eating better than she has in a year. I kept their food seperate but when he showed no interest and she dropped kibble on his bed (a BIG olive branch) he ignored it. It was beautiful here in Alabama today so we spent a lot of time all out in the yard. I closely surpervised and by lunch, we were muzzles off. I would never let them out unattended without but all went well. Ava sunned herself and napped and Augie explored our yard.. He even stepped on her tail while she was going #1 and she didn't even get snitty. Ava has always had space issues with her non greyhound cousins. I know he will get more brave and test us all but he is doing really well for his first day home. I am so tired though. How do parents do this with human babies? I pray he will let me sleep some tonight.

We'll keep you posted on Augie's progress and regress!

Guest avadogner

I spent 4 hours late last night trying to post pics and had trouble. My DH said he would try to help me tonight. I am able to get pics in my email but need to find a way to give them http addresses. DH said we would try photobucket tonight. He is a gorgeous giant gentleman. 85 lbs of sweetness. His 64 lbs sis is bossing him around and he seems to like the direction. I promise to get some photos up ASAP. I am a medical person and computers are not my thing. Bear with my ignorance. 3 lb baby needs and IV, a baby codes, I'm your girl. Attaching photos here, I feel like a moron.

-ava and augie's mum