And Now For Some Good News!

Guest BlueCrab

Guest BlueCrab

To replay, Trixie's been limping on her front right since June. Inspction seemed to point to the formation of corns on both front feet, with obviouss lameness on the right. Every night (religiously) did epsom salts soaks followed by Kerasolv and socks. Purchased and used TheraPaws for walks. Went to a grey-savvy vet and had them hulled. Have been dremmeling them regularly. No change. Did x-rays to make sure we weren't missing something. Nada.

As of early Sept, the Vet wanted to do laser surgery on the offending pad to look for a foreign body. We went to Wisconsin for the past week for DH to race in the SCCA National Championships, so I didn't want to operate before we traveled and then face possible problems recovering on the road.

So I tried the much-recommended duct tape as a last resort before surgery. Started up probably right around the 8th of September? Magic, people, magic I'm tellin' you. I know I should have tried it earlier, as simple a fix as it is, and considering how much duct tape we have in the car trailer. I just kept forgetting to get it out of the trailer and bring it in the house. So about two solid weeks of duct tape, changing it out every couple days, after which I pulled and tugged at the corn which was clearly coming out. Another couple days of duct tape and voila, out it came. We continued to use her Thera Paws while in Wisconsin (lots of pavement and rocks - doesn't hurt to be cautious). But in the last 4 or 5 days we've noticed she's not limping anymore. At all. Looking at her feet, I still notice the one more on the left (non-lame) foot, but the one on the right appears to be gone.

So one more convert to the duct-tape cure. Thanks, all! I know the corns will probably come back sooner rather than later, but I'm so, so, SO happy we don't have to do the laser surgery. The whole idea of it kind of left me feeling green :puke

Guest BlueCrab

Duct tape rules! I couldn't live without it in my life. Glad everything came out just right. :)

Hey I see you're from Sayre! I know exactly where that is! I have a good friend who has a cabin in Sayre, and I have (or have had) family in Binghamton, Johnson City and Endicott :wave

WOW. Jack's had his corns hulled (four of them...on all but one foot) THREE times since June, and they are back again. Been using the "special corn cream" without much success....

I will try the duct tape. Do they really leave it alone? How often do you change it?

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

WOW. Jack's had his corns hulled (four of them...on all but one foot) THREE times since June, and they are back again. Been using the "special corn cream" without much success....

I will try the duct tape. Do they really leave it alone? How often do you change it?

Rex never bothered with it. I think the key is to cut the tape just bigger than the corn -- don't cover the whole pad. I think I changed Rex's every 3 or 4 days. Finally you'll just pull it off and the corn will come with it. Be sure and get Nashua or another name brand duct tape -- don't use dollar store stuff.

Rex had surgery and I would never do that again -- laser or not.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest DylanGospel

I have a t-shirt that says...."I can fix ANYTHING.....hand me the duct tape." :lol

I just couldn't resist adding my duct tape 2 cents! :)

1276609407-1.jpg

Duct tape, along with WD-40, could solve almost any problem. IMHO

I've heard about duct tape for warts but not corns....maybe that will do the trick for Hitchie!!!!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest BlueCrab

I'm not currently taping the left: been inundated with work since returning from WI. Need to start up again just as a precaution since the left corn is still visible. I'll watch the right and will start up again as soon as I see it forming.

As far as size, as others have said, I make the piece only a touch larger than the corn. Takes a bit of finesse and some sharp scissors. But I just tear a single strip off the roll, stick that to the fridge so it's handy, and then cut tiny pieces off as I need.

I change them out every two or three days depending on how dewy the grass has been (or rainy) or how worn the pieces looks. I just pull them off. It takes a bit of tugging and I'm sort of wondering if I'm gonna pull Trixie's whole toe off, but she doesn't complain and I try to be super careful so I guess it doesn't hurt.

And as far as "does she bother it", no, she didn't even seem to notice it was there. Physically, I don't think she could actually turn her foot around to get at it if she wanted to, but I was a little concerned at first so kept checking back to make sure she hadn't tried to pretzel herself around and get at it.

Miracle stuff. Thanks, all, for the good advice, and if you haven't tried it, I would advise doing so. I really was at the end of my tether and didn't want to do surgery.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I don't think I have heard of the duct tape thing so I will definitely try it! The special "corn cream" at $60 is too expensive and never worked for me.

I have had great success with duct tape on corns in the past and mentioned it to others but each time they would look at me like I was :wacko: you just need to be a bit patient because it does take a few weeks. So now we all know there are one million and one uses for duct tape ;)

I know this is probably a strange thing to do but I took a picture of the corn that was removed with duct tape, I did this because nobody believed me when I told them about using duct tape,this thing was huge.

Nov2009031.jpg

Edited by MyBoys

Guest greytlady93

I brought home a little 9 yr old this year. She has been limping and both my vet and I were convinced we were dealing with osteo. Then I looked closely at her paws.

I've never had a pup with corns before and I've been doing research for weeks on the best way to treat them.

This is clearly worth a try. The other options are clearly not as simple or as pleasant.

Thanks for posting.

My husband is going to LOVE this one...

Guest LindsaySF

Glad it worked! :yay

I have been hulling Teagan's corn regularly. It looks like most if not all of it is gone, but it eventually comes back.... But for a little while he has some relief when there is just a "hole" in the pad instead of the corn.

Is the duct tape method preferable to hulling or about the same? Does it get more of the corn out, or it is just less invasive?

I have a t-shirt that says...."I can fix ANYTHING.....hand me the duct tape." :lol

I just couldn't resist adding my duct tape 2 cents! :)

1276609407-1.jpg

Duct tape, along with WD-40, could solve almost any problem. IMHO

Love that t-shirt. :lol

I believe you can use a hole punch to get circles of duct tape that are just about the right size. Ideally you only cover the corn itself as I've heard that duct tape can damage the healthy tissue in the pad around it.

Glad you're getting relief using this method for Trixie!! :yay

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."