Trying Not To Freak Out!

Last night, I was sitting next to Phanny on the couch and was petting her. When I started fooling with her right rear leg (the deformed one that was broken when she was a tiny puppy) I found a very hard, bony feeling lump on her hock. It's about one inch across and about 1/2 inch raised. It's very hard and it's painful. I immediately called my friend/coworker/vet and told her I was going into the clinic (I work at a vet clinic) to do xrays. My sister and I drove in and we did a half-a**ed xray (Phantom was cooperative and I didn't want to force her into the strange position that we really needed her in to do the xray). I then took it over to my friend/vet's house. The xray really didn't show much and after she (and her vet husband) examined Phantom, they are inconclusive as to what it might be. I am terrified that it's osteo. They did everything they could to make me think it is something much more benign.

This morning, I'm taking her over to the husband's vet clinic where they have a digital xray machine and we'll take digital xrays. I'll be emailing those xrays to Dr. Couto so that he can look at them. If they have any suspicion that it might be osteo, we'll sedate her this afternoon and do an aspirate. I'll probably drive the slides to OSU and be there bright and early tomorrow morning with them in my hand for Dr. C and his team to look at.

Sorry for the long, rambling post.

Phantom has been through sooooo much and she is such a fighter. This would be hard on her little diabetic body but we'll do everything we can to help her survive as long as she is able to.

PLEASE send good thoughts that whatever this lump is it isn't osteo!!!!

Either I'll update or my sister will after we get the xrays done.

UPDATE:

I dropped the xrays off with the surgeons and I just heard from them... they believe there is evidence of a 4th tarsal collapse and there is bone oscification (basically "calcium build-up... the chants worked!!!) causing swelling, etc. in the area. I am sooooooooo happy. The lump really does look like the swelling you see with osteo... I'm not crazy, really (well, not about this anyhow). BUT I am just sooooooooooooo excited that it's a break. The doctor doesn't recommend surgery or even a splint at this point. She wants rads repeated in 4 weeks unless she starts to show pain before then. If it continues to get worse, they recommend surgery to clean up the area and to make her more comfortable. I don't remember if I mentioned this in my earlier typing but this leg is the leg that was broken when she was a baby puppy so it has always been "deformed" and we just knew it was going to give her trouble and I guess now it is.

THANK YOU, EVERYONE for your good thoughts and well wishes!!!!

Edited by retiredracers

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

We'll be crossing our fingers and paws here that it is not Osteo and something else less serious. Please keep us updated.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

We'll keep everything crossed here for Phantom and pray it's nothing.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

sending many prayers!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

No!! Sending A TON of good thoughts your way. Fingers tightly crossed for Phantom!! :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest moremoney

Sheila just called me with an update on Phantom. They are not thinking Osteo, but a possible break. She is taking the xrays to the the referral surgical team in town. Please keep sending good thougths for our tough little girl.

Sheila just called me with an update on Phantom. They are not thinking Osteo, but a possible break. She is taking the xrays to the the referral surgical team in town. Please keep sending good thougths for our tough little girl.

A break is so much better. It should eventually heal. Hang in there guys. Tell Sheila to yell if I can help her with anything.

Guest moremoney

A break is so much better. It should eventually heal. Hang in there guys. Tell Sheila to yell if I can help her with anything.

Thank you.

Crossing our fingers and paws here for Phantom and Sheila.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Phantom, you're just a baby! We're sending lots of prayers and good thoughts out to you.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Excellent news!!! A big sigh of relief.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I hope Hitchie didn't sit on her when we were over on Friday:o !

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)