Cracked Pads & Splitting Nails

Guest grammarules

Guest grammarules

My pup loves to dig. The problem is that is her nails are spintering. My groomer does a wonderful job trimming them but they still seem to get 'hangnails' for lack of a better way to describe it.

I also noticed that her larger pads have cracks in them. I give her flax oil and omega as my vet and groomer recomended. :unsure

Edited by grammarules

Guest Swifthounds

Bag balm is very good for softening.moisturizing, and healing cracked pads.

Ditch the flax and increase the fish oil. The purpose of adding fish oil is for the omega 3s to balance out the surplus of omega 6s in the diet. Flax has omega 6 and omega 9, for which dogs have no dietary need for supplementation and which contribute to inflammation.

In the U.S., you can get it in places like Walgreens (pharmacy). It's around very commonly, often sold with other skin lotions for humans. Or a farm or feed store -- it was originally designed for cows' udders, the "bag" of the name. I'm sure you can get it online, but I doubt you need to.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

what PrairieProf said. Bag Balm is actually an udder cream that is traditionally used on cows teats. Anywhere that sells farm supplies should have the product (though it may be a different brand name).

Guest grammarules

I will check the farm supply stores near here.

I have someting called Healthy Hoof that I use on my own nails. It was originally used for horses and someone decided it was good for people too. Do you think it would be safe? My concern is that if she licks her paws she might injest it and make her sick.

Well, you're not using that much and rubbing it into the pads, so they're not going to get a lot. You could read the ingredients list and compare with Bag Balm.

They have a Canadian website btw: http://www.bagbalm.ca/bagbalm.ca/english/index.asp

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest FullMetalFrank

Try dremeling the nails instead of clipping; you can get a nice rounded edge that will be less likely to split than the sometimes sharp edges clipping can leave.

I will check the farm supply stores near here.

I have someting called Healthy Hoof that I use on my own nails. It was originally used for horses and someone decided it was good for people too. Do you think it would be safe? My concern is that if she licks her paws she might injest it and make her sick.

No; not for her paws. A hoof product would be ok for nails, but I expect you're just not trimming her nails often enough, or maybe short enough. I'd get a Dremel, and work on smoothing them yourself on a weekly basis.

Bag Balm IS available online, but you should be able to find it at a tack shop, a feed store, or another pet store besides the one you already checked. As others have said, at least here in the US you can also get it most regular drugstores.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Swifthounds

Try dremeling the nails instead of clipping; you can get a nice rounded edge that will be less likely to split than the sometimes sharp edges clipping can leave.

: nod Good suggestion. Any weaknesses or brittleness in the nail will be aggravated by the extreme pressure of nail clippers (and they leave sharp edges that can get caught on things).