Help Wrapping A Foot

Guest racergirl435

Guest racergirl435

Okay, so as some of you know, our lab split a toe nail Saturday night. The vet said to keep it wrapped for a few days but I cannot seem to find a way to do it without some part of the bandage not sticking out or something. Where is the best point to start? The foot or higher up in the leg?

Guest RocketDog

If I'm wrapping the whole foot, and not just bracing it (lots of experience with dislocations here) I start the VetWrap at the big pad, pull it forward over the toes, then fold it 90 degrees and wrap around the foot and up to just below the stop pad. I never apply much tension to the wrap, since you want it to allow the foot to flex normally and splay a bit when they put weight on it. Wrapping will keep it clean, but you may want to put a bag over it if you get dewy grass or walk near water, since you want the foot to stay dry too.

just remember not to wrap it too tight. i always make sure i stick a finger in while wraping. have her stand while you do it, the extra pressure and weight on the paw will help you make sure it's loose enough. i use an old mitten with the thumb pushed in as a cover for the bandage, then i gently wrap that in duct tape. it turns into a duct tape bootie. i use a strip of tape to secure the top, the bandage is usually higher than the mitten.

better to check and make sure it's not too tight. rewind the gauze, it's easier to put on when it's rolled. practice makes perfect.i love that vet wrap! just be loose.

if the paw looks swollen, the bandage is too tight. soak it in ice water and walk the dog, it recovers quickly.

Not sure about a lab's toes, but a GH will get secondary wounds if there is nothing to keep the toes separated and the wrap is too tight (swelling already mentioned above). The skin can rub raw pretty easily on the toe knuckles.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Cotton between the toes. Please. Toes on a bandaged foot will rub each other, and the nails will rub pressure sores on the neighboring toe. I've known of bandaged feet that were substantially worse after the bandaging.

Here's a blog post with lots of helpful photos for bandaging a foot: http://neversaynevergreyhounds.blogspot.com/2009/06/bandaging-for-greyhounds.html

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest racergirl435

Thanks gang! I actually got some baby socks and those seem to be working well. I did put some cotton ball between each of her toes as I remember how Seymour's toes used to rub together. Hers don't seem to do that as lab toes aren't as knuckly as a greyhound's but I figured it was better to be safe than sorry. I took the wrapping off yesterday to get a look at her nail and she immediately starting licking it. It was still bleeding a little so I put some KwikStop on it and wrapped it up again. I'd really like to clip the nail but I don't want to hurt her so I figured I would just keep it wrapped for a few days and hope it heals enough for me to clip it. For some reason this nail is longer than the other 3 on that foot though I clipped them all at the same time. :shrug: I also got some of that self-adhesive wrap so I can wrap and re-wrap without the need for pins or tons of tape.

This is very timely advice. Thank you! My little Gracie scratched the back of her leg and tore a small piece out of the big pad on one of her feet. I bandaged very carefully, making sure it was loose enough, but it just wasn't right to me. I was thinking about that while reading H&M, and right in front of me is the help I needed! I re-wrapped it and Gracie is back to bouncing around again.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG