I'm New Here!

Guest reneemarie

Guest reneemarie

I just signed up a few days ago, and I thought I'd introduce myself! My name's Renee, I live near Baltimore, MD, and I'm getting my very first grey this coming month. I couldn't be more excited! When I was a kid, I told my dad I was going to grow up and have a ranch and raise "the dogs that look like mummies", so my love of greys has always been there!

My fiance and I have been researching greyhounds for the past 6 months, extensively. We want to know as MUCH as possible before getting one, just so we aren't caught with our pants down. He isn't a dog lover, by any means. However, he loves my little girl, Isobelle, a beagle/pointer mix. She's 6 years old, and I got her when she was 6 weeks old as the runt of a litter of puppies that had been abandoned in my town behind a strip mall. She was so sick, was infested with fleas, had worms coming out of her mouth and rear, and couldn't stand for more than a few seconds. I attempted to bring her with me when I moved out of my parents' home a year ago, however, the transition between 4.5 acres in the country where she comes and goes as she pleases to a rowhome with a small, fenced in yard just seemed to depress her, so I go visit her at least 3 times a week, and sometimes she comes for sleepovers. She's a very emotional, sensitive dog, and took instantly to our family dog, Lucky. My mother found Lucky on a back road when he was around 8 weeks old, and we found out later he was also the runt of a litter of pups at the local "pound" (it was really the town dump/landfill, and there were a few kennels in the basement, and almost always the dogs were euthanized. It was a horrible place.) I guess somehow he squeezed out of the kennel, because when my mother spoke with the gentleman there, he recognized Lucky, but said his mother and litter had been put to sleep (hence why we named him Lucky)

We found Lucky when I was 9 years old. I'll be 25 in two weeks. Three weeks ago today, Lucky darted under my brother's truck as he was backing out, and we lost him. His 15 1/2 birthday was this month, and I'll never, EVER meet a more wonderful gentleman. I had prepared myself for his passing, as I knew he was old, and was on his last legs, but it was very sudden and we were all very shocked, as Lucky was not one to dart or run around cars. However, my family feels Lucky was a guardian angel that night, as my brother abandoned plans to go to a party he was en route to when Lucky ran under the truck. That night, there was a horrific car accident that occurred right where he would have been driving, right when he would have been driving there.

And she has lost her little companion, Isobelle is VERY depressed. I feel as if a retired racer would be a great buddy for her, as she's a sensitive little girl. She gets along with more "delicate" breed dogs...that is to say, she loves to play, but she loves to run and chase, not bite and wrestle (unless she's wrestling her humans' feet, then, she makes noises that makes you think there's a bear eating your legs :D) I hope I'm lucky enough that the grey I'm blessed with (I'm adopting through an agency and haven't met anyone just yet, but we have a meeting next week!) will be able to be her new pack, and ease her into a new life with my fiance and I.

I'm sure that I'll be posting more here after I actually get my grey, as I'm going to need somewhere to post the 98450934505 million pictures I know I'll take, and ask for advice when I need it!

Welcome Renee! If you would like to meet a few ;) greyhounds you should take a drive over to Dewey Delaware on Oct 15-17. There will be several hundred greyhounds and their owners enjoying the beach from all over the country.

Correction: see post #10 for the correct dates. :rolleyes:

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Welcome from Montgomery County! There are several good groups near you! Oh, and we LOVE pictures!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Welcome Renee! If you would like to meet a few ;) greyhounds you should take a drive over to Dewey Delaware on Oct 15-17. There will be several hundred greyhounds and their owners enjoying the beach from all over the country.

If you want to see a lot of Greyhounds, you should drive over to Dewey Beach on Oct. 8 - 10th. The event is Greyhounds Reach the Beach and you will see a lot of greys and their owners in both Dewey and Rehoboth.

I suspect Ducky is referring to this event...you'll have to excuse her though, sometimes she has problems with days of the week and now we can add dates to the list. :lol

btw...welcome from Waterloo, ON.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

If you want to see a lot of Greyhounds, you should drive over to Dewey Beach on Oct. 8 - 10th. The event is Greyhounds Reach the Beach and you will see a lot of greys and their owners in both Dewey and Rehoboth.

I suspect Ducky is referring to this event...you'll have to excuse her though, sometimes she has problems with days of the week and now we can add dates to the list. :lol

btw...welcome from Waterloo, ON.

OOPS!!! I did get the dates wrong. You know the only time I gets dates wrong is when it's some place that I'm going to. :lol Yes, I"m going to Dewey that weekend, the correct weekend that is. :lol

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Another welcome from Montgomery County Maryland! Try to come to Dewey if you can on the weekend of October 8th. Lots of us will be there!

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Guest reneemarie

Welcome from your neighbor in BEL AIR/CHURCHVILLE area!! Good Luck with your selection (have you already chosen your houndie??)! :colgate

aaaahhhh, hello, neighbor! We haven't chosen yet, but we do have two in mind!

Thank you for all the welcome comments! I'm going to make an attempt to come out to Dewey, but I can't make any promises. It's 4 weeks until my wedding, and it's crunchtime! I feel bad for my friends and family...I can feel myself turning into King Kong, but I can't seem to control it! XD

Edited by reneemarie

Guest mom2hounds

Welcome from Ohio. We just adopted our first greyhound in April. I found the book Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies to be very helpful.

• 3 weeks later...