Ear Troubles

macoduck

My non-grey, Ms Pudge le Mutt, will be seeing the vet today. For the past 2 weeks or so she's had goobers in one ear. She really hasn't been shaking her head much and hasn't scratched at it.

When I wiped her ears only one had gobs of goobers, so red they almost looked like blood. The goobers had some thickness to them. There is no odor.

What might we be told at the vet's today?

Should I make sure they check a sample under the microscope for mites?

Wouldn't an ordinary yeast infection be lighter colored and have a smell?

Would oral meds or antibiotics ever be given or is ear stuff treated with topical stuff only?

Why does this affect only one ear?

Gratuitous picture of Ms Pudge:

DSC02001.jpg

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Gee is the one around here who gets the gunky, red/brown stuff in her ears, usually one more than the other but hers are allergy related. Her ears drain more because of her allergies. I have a bottle of ear cleaner that I have to squirt into her ears, usually every 1 to 2 weeks and clean them out or she will end up with an ear infection. She usually gets it more in the right ear than the left because she tends to lay on her right side so that ear drains more.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I just adore Pudge!

It could be something down there--some sort of grass seed or such. Or an infection. I feel CERTAIN they will put a glob under the microscope (it always baffles me how my vet justifies an addition $30 charge for this when it takes her 30 seconds). I expect you'll get some ear drops initially.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Pudge has allergies and her hobby is licking or chewing herself. It's not food related as it comes and goes with the seasons. She was seen at the vet a few weeks ago and since several prescription stuff we tried made her sick, we only use Benedryl. She hasn't licked/chewed much so we've discontinued the Benedryl for now.

Susan, I expect to hear a big cha-ching today. Pricing seems to vary with the vet on duty. One may only charge for a general exam plus meds. Another may charge for the general exam, cleaning, microscoptic viewing, plus meds.

If I'm lucky I'll pay @ $70 today. Feel free to chime in with a guestimate! :lol

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest IrskasMom

I honestly have NO Idea what it could be or $$$$ involved. Hugs and Prayers for Ms. Pudge :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug and the Cookie is for when she gets back from the Vet :dogcookie

Did Ms. Pudge looked at something or did she purposly showed you her Backside :P

Edited by IrskasMom

Well $92 later, Pudge has a yeast infection. I have Epi-Otic Advanced solution to clean it and Micanazole solution to put in afterward. I'll be hearing plenty of head shaking tonight.

Erika, in that photo Pudge was intently focused on a fly. Flies are very tasty, you know, and one should never pass up the opportunity to eat one. :P

tiny hada siggy.png