Long Overdue Update

Guest hattiepumpkin

Guest hattiepumpkin

Hello,

So, last spring, I had posted in a complete panic that my greyhound Hattie was going crazy. She had severe anxiety issues, she was up all night every night pacing and panting, and she was nervous and trembling all the time. To make a long story short, we ruled out physical problems and mixed a little behavior therapy with meds. The meds seemed to do the trick, and she was much, much calmer. She was, for the most part, acting like herself. Now, here's the weird thing. She did not ever exhibit her symptoms to that great of an extent at my dog-sitter's house, so we figured it might be environmental. That was confirmed this summer. Hattie ended up "summering" (yes, my spoiled greyhound turned summer into a verb!)at my mother's house in Upstate NY--Saratoga Springs(I live in Union County, NJ). She was up there most of the summer because my husband was in Maine for work for July and August, and the place he was staying did not allow dogs. Since I'm a teacher, I went up to Maine with him the majority of the time. She was fine all summer--she was so good, I weaned her off the chlomipramine and simply had my mom give her Valium for thunderstorms/fireworks, which we've been doing for years.

Well, wouldn't you know, as soon as I brought her back to Dirty Jersey (sorry NJ residents--I've never gotten over being homesick for upstate NY!) at the beginning of the school year, she started going nuts again. She's back on the Chlomipramine, but it's not doing a thing for her this time. AND, this time she's anxious all DAY, and she generally settles down at night. They're doing a massive construction project literally 300 yards from my house, so I think that she hears the construction all day. We are moving to Houston in March, so I think I'm simply going to tell my vet that I'd like her to be on Xanax until we move--Xanax worked wonders in the spring. On top of that, my mother might be taking her from Christmas through February--I'm pregnant and due 2/3, and since we live in a townhome with no yard, I have to walk her 6 times a day. They're really bad about salting our driveways/walkways around here, and I'm nervous about falling on ice when I'm that far along. So, my mother will probably take her from Christmas until the baby is born, and then I'll take her back after I come home from having the baby. This way, she'll only be on Xanax for a few months, and my mother can wean her off that when she's up in NY.

Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone ever experienced environmental anxiety to this degree with their hounds?

For most of my pups, it really helps them to see where the noises are coming from -- for example, to stand at a safe distance from the construction and watch awhile when the noises are going on.

"Safe distance" varies depending on the pup, and I'd be sure to have an escape-proof harness on any dog that tends to freak at odd sights/sounds.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest hattiepumpkin

Hi,

She's seen all the construction first hand. We also live right by a rock quarry that blasts at random times/days. Unfortunately, the only thing that is going to work, I think, is the move.

Can she stay with your mom until until you move? It does sound like Hattie cannot handle the environment. I can't imagine her coming back from mom's in February with a newborn baby added to the mix. It just seems like staying with mom would make the whole transition easier on all of you.

If your mom went for it, maybe you could hire someone close by to help her with regular walks, etc.

Is Hattie a shy or fearful dog or does most of her anxiety come from being left alone?

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg