Newly Developed Car Anxiety

Guest DunksMom

Guest DunksMom

Hi all! So here's the story..... From the day we brought him home, Dunkin' has been fine in the car. Lays down and falls asleep or just watches the scenery. Recently Dunkin' has progressively been getting more anxious in the car over the past few months. He's standing up and panting. Weird thing is that he still acts excited to get in the car. Same car, new behaviour.

We are looking at getting a new car, something larger (we currently have a Scion XA) like an Element or Pilot. With this new behaviour we are concerned about Dunkin' getting bounced around in the back of one of these roomier cars and are thinking about crating in the car. Right now Dunkin' is tethered between the oh s*** handles in the back with a doggy seat belt system. Any opinions or insight you can offer would be appreciated!

THanks for looking!

-Emily & Dunkin' (the backseat driver)

Any chance he's just excited and anticipating a fun place to go?

Many of the larger vehicles also have "oh spit" handles that you could use with a Kurgo or similar tether system.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest DunksMom

I feel like this new behaviour is anxiety because my husband says that he's tucking his tail sometimes too. While he's standing and panting he's also drooling over my shoulder and blocking my over the shoulder view for changing lanes etc. So I was thinking that a crate would at least keep him in the back and out of my line of view.... and safe in case of short stop or sudden swerve.

Hi all! So here's the story..... From the day we brought him home, Dunkin' has been fine in the car. Lays down and falls asleep or just watches the scenery. Recently Dunkin' has progressively been getting more anxious in the car over the past few months. He's standing up and panting. Weird thing is that he still acts excited to get in the car. Same car, new behaviour.

We are looking at getting a new car, something larger (we currently have a Scion XA) like an Element or Pilot. With this new behaviour we are concerned about Dunkin' getting bounced around in the back of one of these roomier cars and are thinking about crating in the car. Right now Dunkin' is tethered between the oh s*** handles in the back with a doggy seat belt system. Any opinions or insight you can offer would be appreciated!

THanks for looking!

-Emily & Dunkin' (the backseat driver)

It's probably not the car you're interested in, but I recently purchased a Nissan Cube, and my one female grey fits PERFECTLY in the back cargo area. It's large enough for her to lie down in but small enough that she can't flop around during sudden stops or be hanging over my shoulder blocking my rear view. You can move the back seat forward to add about 6-8 inches in the cargo area, too. This car might be smaller than what you want, but it's perfect for me and Sheba. I read recently that the Kia Soul, similar to the Cube, was listed as the number one car for riding with pets, so the cargo area must be similar to what I have and like.

Hmmm, I wonder if some how Dunkin has started associating the car ride with something stressful. One thing you could try doing is to try and recondition him to associating the car rides with really good things. Take him on a lot of short drives that always end up somewhere he really likes, the park, or a hike, or a fast food place for a french fry treat. This was actually the advice someone gave me when I was dealing with a foster who was always getting car sick. The thought was that a lot of the car sickness was from the dog getting stressed out in the car. When he started learning that the car ride always ended up somewhere awesome, he started getting much more relaxed when we got in the car (and he stopped getting sick :)).

Is this Dunkin', the former greyhound welfare dog? Don't know if you remember me and Lima Bean, but we remember you :). Hope all is going well besides the car stuff.

Rally

Lima Bean (formerly Cold B Hi Fi) and her enabler, Rally. ☜We're moving West!

gallery_14681_2997_4088.jpg

I feel like this new behaviour is anxiety because my husband says that he's tucking his tail sometimes too. While he's standing and panting he's also drooling over my shoulder and blocking my over the shoulder view for changing lanes etc. So I was thinking that a crate would at least keep him in the back and out of my line of view.... and safe in case of short stop or sudden swerve.

Hmmmmm. George and I watch his god daughter race all the time, and she clamps her tail between her legs during the post parade--and trust me, it's pure excitement, although it does look like anxiety! That girlie LOVES to run!

Sounds like excitement to me too.

My last dog LOVED the car because we always ended up somewhere that he got lots of loving from someone besides me. It got to the point where he whined in this horrible high pitched tone that made me absolutely NUTS. Nothing could keep him out of the car!

In fact he had major orthopedic surgery, and when I picked him up from the hospital, with 27 staples running down his leg that was surgically cut in two and pinned back together, I had purchased a ramp for him to get into the SUV. As I was setting the thing up, he had already flown into the back on his three legs!

Now I have George, and he's great in the car. I have a pretty big SUV now. I keep all the back seats folded flat, and a layer of memory foam over them, then a blanket, and on top of that a dog bed. I figure if he falls over (he likes to ride standing up) at least it'll be cushiony.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

i've been thru dogs loving the car- my scottie used to jump into any open car door and hunker down....my parents took him to trader joe's not knowing that he was in there, but smelled a foul odor(he had bad teeth) to dogs pooping, peeing and vomiting before we got out to the main road. my newest girl annie is finally getting used to the car. this is 7 months of surgically inserting her into our 2 door honda civic or hoysitng her into the jump seat of the toyota pick-up and she always follows our other grey who is very enthaustic. some days she is o.k., others it's a joke. i just get them in and drive. i make sure they have enough air and keep on driving, eventually they figure it out. the pup who expelled bodily fluids got it together after 6 hrs non-stop to vermont sitting on my daughter's lap. our car(98 mazda 323) was packed w/ 2 dogs, 2 adults, 1 kid, camping gear, trunk& duffle bags for summer camp and a viola and violin. they learn, just don't panic, be positive and this too will pass. DON'T give in!

just a thought..would he feel more secure crated? if i had a large enough car i would ALWAYS crate, meanwhile i squeeze 140lbs of dogs onto the back seat of my 2 door civic. remember to tether the crate so it doesn't roll over...keep on trucking....

Guest DunksMom

Hmmm, I wonder if some how Dunkin has started associating the car ride with something stressful. One thing you could try doing is to try and recondition him to associating the car rides with really good things. Take him on a lot of short drives that always end up somewhere he really likes, the park, or a hike, or a fast food place for a french fry treat. This was actually the advice someone gave me when I was dealing with a foster who was always getting car sick. The thought was that a lot of the car sickness was from the dog getting stressed out in the car. When he started learning that the car ride always ended up somewhere awesome, he started getting much more relaxed when we got in the car (and he stopped getting sick :)).

Is this Dunkin', the former greyhound welfare dog? Don't know if you remember me and Lima Bean, but we remember you :). Hope all is going well besides the car stuff.

Rally

Yes! Hi Rally and Lima Bean! We heard through the grapevine that you were heading west. I hope you're settling in and enjoying awesome SF. Would like to see pictures of the Lima (city dog) Bean.