Greyhound Playday - Someone Joined Our Group W/ Ig?

Guest leash

I hope that the IG's are ok today but I am surprised that no one stopped her in the beginning from entering the field when she arrived? I can see fault on both sides of that one. Her for not noticing that there were no other small dogs and allowing hers to run with the big dogs and also the group of greys and owners who were already there and allowing them to run after the IG's and not say anything to her?

:nod :nod

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that the IG's are ok today but I am surprised that no one stopped her in the beginning from entering the field when she arrived? I can see fault on both sides of that one. Her for not noticing that there were no other small dogs and allowing hers to run with the big dogs and also the group of greys and owners who were already there and allowing them to run after the IG's and not say anything to her?

:nod :nod

I agree with this, too. And, I feel that the leader of this group should contact the IG owner, to try to smooth things over. Mostly to let the IG owner know that not all dogs automatically get along with other dogs (this misunderstanding that so many people seem to have is a HUGE pet peeve of mine!), and to let her know that racing Greyhounds are trained and conditioned to chase small moving objects, so in the future, she should be aware of that.

Yes, there were misunderstandings on both sides, but this should have been prevented.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest KennelMom

:mum <-- I better do this, lest Jeff, Trudy or Wendy have to give me another time out.

People never cease to amaze me. I'm glad no little doggy was killed by poor judgment by all. Oops...did I say that?

Guest Swifthounds

:mum <-- I better do this, lest Jeff, Trudy or Wendy have to give me another time out.

People never cease to amaze me. I'm glad no little doggy was killed by poor judgment by all. Oops...did I say that?

You did. And I concur. I'll gladly take a time out for that one.

Maybe not quite all --> OP called the group leader to inform her of the situation and appropriately waited on the sidelines at the event until it was 'appropriate' to go in. Kudos to her....

As for the others, in total agreement.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest Swifthounds

Maybe not quite all --> OP called the group leader to inform her of the situation and appropriately waited on the sidelines at the event until it was 'appropriate' to go in. Kudos to her....

I'm not sure I could have stood on the sideline and waited for that IG to get hurt and for there to be one more incident that leads the public at large to believe greyhounds are vicious hunters (as opposed to that they have owners who are either naive or in denial or just plain don't feel responsible to manage their hounds and their instincts).

OK, I know I couldn't.

I'm not sure I could have stood on the sideline and waited for that IG to get hurt and for there to be one more incident that leads the public at large to believe greyhounds are vicious hunters (as opposed to that they have owners who are either naive or in denial or just plain don't feel responsible to manage their hounds and their instincts).

OK, I know I couldn't.

I hear ya - judgement call. I don't think I would have been quiet either, but we are all different and have different levels of experience (general comment, not towards OP).

Derek

Guest KennelMom

As a new greyhound owner, I probably wouldn't have felt comfortable challenging the (supposedly) more experienced people organizing/running the group. Now, however, I would definitely have spoken up if for no other reason than a dog could have been killed. It was definitely some bad PR for greyhounds, even though no dog was injured.

Goes to show that just because someone organizes a playgroup, they can still have no flippin' clue what they're doing. :mum (still holding back what I *really* want to say)

So I got some bad news today. The poor IG Dexter broke his leg. :( I feel so bad that I did not say anything when I got to the dog park. :angryfire I thought after expressing my points to the organizer that she would have taken care of it. The person in charge of our group has asked everyone to pitch in money to help with the vet costs. I feel kind of obligated to put in money even though Magnum was not apart of it. Well huge lesson learned. Speak up or it will cost you!! :angryfire

So I got some bad news today. The poor IG Dexter broke his leg. :( I feel so bad that I did not say anything when I got to the dog park. :angryfire I thought after expressing my points to the organizer that she would have taken care of it. The person in charge of our group has asked everyone to pitch in money to help with the vet costs. I feel kind of obligated to put in money even though Magnum was not apart of it. Well huge lesson learned. Speak up or it will cost you!! :angryfire

Personally I don't see why you have to chip in. Your dog wasn't involved. You told the group leader your concerns. The IG was within the play area before you got there. If you really have to donate, I'd give $5 and an "I told you so".

Does your playgroup have participants sign a waiver of any kind?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Wasserbuffel

I agree with Macoduck.

I wouldn't feel the slightest inclination to donate, especially after haven given warning. The incident was entirely preventable by those involved, especially Dexter's owner.

I took Jayne to a GH playgroup once, but she stayed leashed while I watched the other dogs and got a feel for the group. As a NGA greyhound, she can hold her own FAR better than a little IG ever could with other greys.

Whoaaaa. Personally, if I were you, I would not chip in - it's not a question of being unkind, it's a question of fairness. First of all, you weren't even there, and secondly, you were the one who pointed out to the organizer that an IG had signed up in the first place! :huh Once she realized her mistake in allowing the new diminutive member to become a member, she should have told the IG's human that the playgroup was for ex-racers only and NOT allowed the IG into the field AT ALL. If I were the organizer I would be kicking myself at this point, and offering to pay something out of my own pocket - I certainly wouldn't be asking other members to chip in.

We have a waiver that every new member has to sign before s/he is even admitted to the group as a member. Once we had someone with a greyhound mix try to join the group - I had to explain that it was for ex-racers only.

Sounds like your playgroup members need to have a talk about liability, waivers, and safety procedures.

On a separate note, what was the IG's human thinking, bringing her dog to a play date with ex-racers? :huh2 I hope the dog heals quickly :(

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

If I were you, I would not chip in and I would also find a new group. This whole thing sounds completely asinine. :blink:

Guest BorzoiMom

Absolutely do not chip in!! The little dog's owner needs to keep in mind she has a tiny dog with tiny bones. I wouldn't go play in a herd of elephants because they would squash me - same darn thing!! The owner of the small dog has the responsibility to watch the safety of HER dog. If she is too ignorant to figure out an IG has no business in with large dogs then your group leader had the responsibility to not allow it. There was plenty of warning this was going to be an issue and she should have been the first one there just in case.

There is NO FLIPPING WAY you would get me to pay up in that situation!

Edited by BorzoiMom

Guest KennelMom

No way would I chip in. What borzoimom said.

I can't believe the group leader would have the gall to ask everyone to chip in. Oh wait, this is the person who allowed IGs to run with the big dogs. Sheesh.

I wouldn't chip in either. It's not like the greyhounds were in costumes disguised as small dogs, that small dog owner no doubt has them on retractable leashes all the time that are never retracted. My pet peeve of SOME small dog owners, they are on another planet and their little dogs suffer for it.

Wow - I'm totally shocked. Let's get this out of the way - I wouldn't pay either and I agree with all above posts.

I can't believe the playgroup organizer is asking for "chip ins" when she was specifically warned about this EXACT situation and then STILL decided to go ahead and allow the IG in. She is, and must feel, like a very incompetent leader.

You were smart about the whole preventable situation and should not have even been asked.

Derek

Guest mcsheltie

I don't think you should chip in either. You were the lone voice of reason.

I do not blame the IG owner either. A lot of people own dogs, especially toy dogs, and do not know the first thing about DOGS. They have no knowledge about prey drive, pack mentality and do not have an inkling that dogs think differently than humans do. None of us are born knowing this stuff. We have learned it through experience.

The people who should chip in are the organizer(s) of the play group and the experienced hound owners that allowed their dogs off leash with the IGs. They have the knowledge, but are severely lacking in common sense.

Guest PhillyPups

My last time at a "greyhound" playgroup one person had a non grey (pit) and one person kept saying her grey was not good with other breeds and had her grey on a leash (inside the fence WITH her baby in its stroller. She was convoinced to ler her dog off leash by the pit owner. The grey took off after the pit, pack instinct kicked in. I got 6 dogs off, and screamed to those standing in shock to grab a dog (not that nicely). In holding the dogs I had back, I broke my finger.

No one offered to help with my deductible - I darn sure would not pay for the leg repair. Broken legs are fairly common in iggys from what I have been told. I never had one and most likely never will - and I darn sure would not run one with the big dogs.

Reading this just reminds me why I do not go to playgroups. Even with greys only all should be muzzled (they must be muzzled if mine are going in or mine do not go in). People should be spread out over the field watching the dogs at all times, they can stand around and chit chat later - and the numbers in the field should be limited. Anything can happen quickly, and most playgroup/playdate injuries can be prevented with vigilant owners.

Sorry you had this experience. You did the right thing and no way should you pay.

Why oh why would the other greyhounds owners allow their greys to run with the IG in the first place???

There are lots of groups that have a list of "rules". Your group needs to borrow them or come up with some of your own. More importantly, you need someone with knowledge about greys to organize play groups.

Perhaps I missed this, but the first question that came to mind when the greys were playing and the IG was also with this pack of greys was "what were they thinking??"I still can't understand this part.

Thanks for posting though...we can all learn to speak up, even when it's uncomfortable, just in case...

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

The greyhound owners who allowed their dogs to trample the IG should feel compelled to chip in -- if out of guilt at their stupidlity if nothing else. You were not involved so you should not feel obligated. No way in heck I'd pay.

IMHO the person "in charge" (sort of an oxymorn in retrospect) of the group that allowed that horrible event to happen should pay 1/2 the vet costs out of his/her pocket, then ask for donations from the other GH owners that were there to donate to ease the IG owners 1/2. The bulk of the blame in my mind lies with him/her. If you are going to run a rescue and/or playgroup you should be somewhat dog savvy and they obviously are not.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

My last time at a "greyhound" playgroup one person had a non grey (pit) and one person kept saying her grey was not good with other breeds and had her grey on a leash (inside the fence WITH her baby in its stroller. She was convoinced to ler her dog off leash by the pit owner. The grey took off after the pit, pack instinct kicked in. I got 6 dogs off, and screamed to those standing in shock to grab a dog (not that nicely). In holding the dogs I had back, I broke my finger.

No one offered to help with my deductible - I darn sure would not pay for the leg repair. Broken legs are fairly common in iggys from what I have been told. I never had one and most likely never will - and I darn sure would not run one with the big dogs.

Good for you for jumping in where others did not. I'm sorry you got hurt. :( The least those who did nothing at the moment could have done was pay your deductible and treat you to a nice dinner as a thank you.

Reading this just reminds me why I do not go to playgroups. Even with greys only all should be muzzled (they must be muzzled if mine are going in or mine do not go in). People should be spread out over the field watching the dogs at all times, they can stand around and chit chat later - and the numbers in the field should be limited. Anything can happen quickly, and most playgroup/playdate injuries can be prevented with vigilant owners.

: nod Me too. The only thing dog parks do it reinforce in my mind why they're such a disaster. All greyhound play groups do (every time I've gone and watched, at least) is reinforce why they really are doing more harm than good.

That greyhounds may not be good with small furries is a given. That small dogs should not run and play with large dogs is common sense. Folks saying, as they too often do, that the play in the playgroup is too rough and tumble for other breeds to be included is not only bad PR for the breed, it's complete and total abdication of the responsibility that comes from having hounds. Greyhounds, as sighthounds tend to chase and they tend to pack. That means hounds should be muzzled, closely supervised, and run in small groups. Those who get overly excited, pack, or instigate need to be removed. The only way that greyhounds learn manners is if they are taught. Muzzling isn't a cure all. Supervising and pulling dogs out of the group for rough play is essential. Unfortunately, too many people are more concerned with giving unsafe hounds an "opportunity" to run or are afraid of alienating folks whose hounds act out. I would never find either of those things worth the risk of harm to another hound, and couldn't in good conscience allow it to continue - even if it was my own hound.

The funny thing (funny as in odd, not ha ha funny) is how many of these groups don't take the safety steps that they should and yet have memebrs sign waivers and think they're safe. When an incident occurs you're going to be one of three things: a named party, a witness for the plaintiff, or a witness for the defendant/respondent.

To the OP, I would tell the organizer that you did "chip in" - you warned the group that this was a bad idea.