Jump to content

Update On Rainey ..


Recommended Posts

I had meant to post an update these past few weeks but was almost afraid to, like I'd jinx it. She had been doing fairly well since she was switched to the Keppra (and off the pheno) but unfortunately, she had another seizure last night at 10pm :(


her last one was 8/30, and we started her on the pheno that night. We then saw the neurologist on 9/2, who started her on the keppra (that night) and we started weaning her off the pheno -- she went from 2 pills to 1 on 9/5, then her last 1 was on 9/10. She seemed to have been doing ok, no seizures -- at least that we know of. She only alone 5.5 hours a day -- and every day I check to see if she's wet (from the excessive drool that is produced during the seizure) and she's been dry -- but with last night's seizure she didn't really drool at all so now I really don't know for sure if she in fact did or did not have any while we weren't home since 8/30.


I put a call into the neurologist but he is out until Monday (and he's the only one there) ... but he was still pushing for the MRI and spinal tap last time I spoke to him (on 9/6), but we are really hesitant to do it still. I guess we need to find out from him, is 1 seizure every 3 weeks or so OK.....and that's hoping it's that infrequent or less.... I told myself if she DID have another we'd do the MRI...but we're still not sure if that's the right thing to do. We just don't know. We had hoped upon hope that the meds would work a miracle and she'd never have another. There’s other signs now something very bad is going on – like she seems to be losing her eyesight :( and is running into things (like the fence outside when trotting at the top) and stumbling a lot.


my biggest fear is that she will start clustering (and worse, happen while we're gone) that will lead to a horrible death. :( I just don't want her to suffer. We really do not know what to do at this point. I'm hoping the doctor will have some ideas when I talk to him (hopefully) on Monday :(


I know so many others are having much worse problems than our little girl :( I feel bad for posting ... but I wanted to give an update...


sending hugs to everyone and their hounds. :hope:grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh no, poor Rainey...is there any way you can set up a webcam when you're not there to see if she is having them while you're gone?

Tons of prayers for your girl :hope :hope :hope



Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Dont feel bad about posting. What you are going through is horrible, and there are many here who understand exactly what you are dealing with. Jen and I send you our best and should you need anything, just call, we live close to the vets and should you guys need a place to relax or crash, our door is always open.


Chad, Jen and zoo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just sending hugs to you and your girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Pandasmom

My Larry boy has seizures about every 3 weeks also. We have had to adjust the phenobarb several times. Thankfully it's not doing bad things to his liver. There is also the possibility of adding potassium bromide to the mix. One side effect of the phenobarb is loss of gracefulness. Our vet told us not to worry if he runs into things or misjudges distance because of this side effect. I know what it's like to worry if they are seizing while you are gone. I'm at work for 8 hours a day and Larry is in his crate the whole time. I fear he will have a big one while in there and break his legs or something worse. So far so good. Prayers to you. I hope your little one gets it all worked out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about Rainey's additional seizures. I really hope that they stay somewhat in control. We'll be crossing our fingers for new from the vet on Monday.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sorry that both you and Rainey are facing these seizures. Try not to lose heart--it can take a quite a but of adjustment and experimentation to get the right medicationss and the optimal dosages of those meds for your particular dog.


In terms of the MRI/Spinal tap, FWIW, in deciding whether to have those tests preformed, I would want to have (1) a really good picture of what diagnostic information the vet is looking for with those test, and (2) then a sense of what exactly what new/different treatment options might be available based on any of those possible diagnoses.


When Piper's seizures started, I too struggled with whether to have an MRI done. Spinal tap was never mentioned so I didn't even think about that one. The question for Piper was whether he had a brain tumor or just plain old idiopathic epilepsy. Interestingly, neither my regular vet nor the neurologist Piper saw at the UGA vet school recommended an MRI. The regular vet had an epileptic dane herself so she had the unique perspective of both a vet and a distressed owner when it came to epilepsy. She had decided not to do an MRI for her dane because, even if they found a brain tumor, the treatment would be about the same--control the symptoms (seizures) with meds. The neurologist said that if Piper had a brain tumor, we'd know soon enough as his symptoms changed and increased. Grim but realistic. Seven years later, the decision not to do an MRI has been supported. Piper clearly has idiopathic epilepsy. His seizures are reasonably well controlled--usually every 7-10 weeks, though sometimes he has a spell where they come more frequently. Treatment options may have changed in those seven years but I'd want a clear idea of what either of those procedures would "buy you" in solid terms of treatment options before opting for them.



Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...