Am I Losing My Mind? It Can't Be Osteo, Of Course, Right?

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I was bathing my VERY full coated and magnificent Sarov (Borzoi) and when soaking wet so his hair is flat, there's a fairly obvious lump on the butt bone on the left side of his tail (know what I mean, the two boney bumps on either side of where the tail comes out of the body?). It's on the left. He's dry now and it's much harder to notice, impossible by sight, but I can feel it. I've stacked him four square, held the tail out, and felt and felt; it's there. It could just be a fat pad or something, right? He's not fat at all, but he was fat in his prior home. I mean really, there's no way another of my dogs could have osteo, right? I am being a paranoid idiot. Clearly, I wouldn't amputate his pelvis anyway, even if it WAS osteo, and he is not in any pain, though he did whine some when I was messing with it repeatedly. I am going to have my "lump pro" friend check it out tomorrow and tell me if I am being ridiculous. Of course it could just be lump, even a swelling cos he's HUGE and insists on laying on the Pergo and it's a pressure point? But the coat is perfect, lush, and the skin 100% normal. I need to go to bed before I lose my mind. He's almost seven. He's fine, right?

13sep10027.jpg

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Yes, he still has a lump, I wasn't imagining it, so we'll be keeping a very close eye. I did a lot of reading though, and it seems osteo virtually never occurs on that bone.

You are certifiable. :wacko: It's just a cebaceous cyst. :grouphug

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

He's fine. your crazy. the way it should be.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest PhillyPups

Yep you're nutz. I have lost two to osteo, three to cancer, and in my experience, I have never heard of osteo of the butt.

If I were that concerned, I would take my pup to a vet rather than a message board or "lump pro", but I am over cautious when it comes to cancer in my hounds. It is nothing to joke about.

My osteo hounds first developed a limp and once that limp was confirmed osteo, I limited their activity to leash walks rather than running, as the worst pain they can have is for an osteo bone to break, and the pain meds do ease the pain. That is just me. :dunno

Yes, he still has a lump, I wasn't imagining it, so we'll be keeping a very close eye. I did a lot of reading though, and it seems osteo virtually never occurs on that bone.

Someone in our group just lost one last month to Osteo in the pelvic bone. He was diagnosed 10mos ago, so she was lucky to have him as long as she did.

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement, Louisville, KY

Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass -July 19-21, 2013

Holiday Inn/Hurstbourne, Louisville KY

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

For your information I was at the vet today to the tune of half a grand, and he was fully examined, checked, blood tested, lump aspirated, etc. I really wasn't going to rush to the ER vet at 2AM over it. And no, it's not Osteo. And where the hell did I say cancer was a joke? I have a dog dying of it. Also I missed where I said I would run a dog with osteosarcoma and not provide pain meds :rolleyes:

To the kind responders, thank you :) I'm just crazy/paranoid.

Edited by FastDogsOwnMe

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Unusually hard fat.

I over reacted, but I worry about my dogs a lot. My osteo dog (who is on leash restriction and on $200/month pain meds, at a minimum and has been since diagnosis) is hanging in there, but now every lump or limp makes me freak out.

Guest GryffinSong

I hear ya on that. Gryffin lasted two months with pain meds, and every little thing made me worried that it was his last moment. I haven't totally panicked about my other dogs yet, but the next time one of them limps for any reason, I'm going to lose it I'm sure. Gryffin never developed a lump with his osteo (in the shoulder) so lumps may or may not trigger my "freak out" button. But limping is most definately going to start the tears and fears going.

Guest GryffinSong

Yes, its quite uncommon. In fact I can't remember ever hearing of an IG with osteo.

They're prone to luxating patellas, seizures, alopecia, broken legs, and eye problems (I forget the name of the eye issue).

Willow had a luxating patella, which I had repaired immediately after adopting her. Luna has alopecia. Merlin has broken both front legs. Luna, Rosie and Merlin have all had seizures, though none of them get them frequently enough to be on meds for it.

I think osteo is supposedly most common in the big-boned guys: Greyhounds, Deerhounds, Wolfhounds, Borzoi (so sorry about Rose, but thrilled about Sarov)--the other tall sighthounds. Also in Great Danes.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)