Listless Puppy

Guest grammarules

Guest grammarules

I'm worried about my greyhound pup. She is 10 months old and has had all her shots. She seems listless and won't eat or drink. She even passes up a treat letting our little Bichon steal it from under her nose. She doesn't seem bloated. She was fine yesterday. Does anyone have any ideas before I take her to the vet and find out she just has a tummy ache or something simple like that?

I'd take her in before she dehydrates.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest mcsheltie

First take her temp. It should be around 101.5

Take in a stool sample. Puppies are notorious for worm loads. You can worm and due to the life cycle they are present again 21 days later. A worm load will put them off their feed.

But with a puppy I would be concerned about her having ingested a foreign body. All kinds of things can cause an impaction or

intussusception. If that is going on you do not want to take a wait and see approach.

Puppies dehydrate quickly.

the thing is that nobody on an Internet board can really diagnose or recommend treatment. If it were me I would be phoning the vet now before the office closes and see if you can get in today. If the pup takes a turn for the worse overnight it could be tragic.

the thing is that nobody on an Internet board can really diagnose or recommend treatment. If it were me I would be phoning the vet now before the office closes and see if you can get in today. If the pup takes a turn for the worse overnight it could be tragic.

Exactly that.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

How do you take a dogs temperature?

With a rectal thermometer coated with some vaseline, like a baby. Or you can use a digital with a probe cover. I think you only need a half-inch or so of penetration.

When this crisis is over, I want to know more about how you chose your username! (Seeing as how I'm a grammar lover.) :)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Easiest is digital thermometer, rectally. Only has to go in @ 1", no need to go overboard there.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest grammarules

I got Shelby to drink a little chicken broth & eat some rice last night. This morning no change so we went to the vet and she's staying there overnight. Her blood platelets are low and she's a little dehydrated. She is on IV and beginning steroid and antibiotic treatments. We're still not sure what caused this sudden change in her health. Apparently greyhounds tend to have a high blood count and are often used when a blood transplant is needed. So the fact that her's is low is a big concern. Some people may say she's just a dog but, it was like leaving one of my kids in the hospital. :unsure

Guest Spencers_Greyt

You won't find anyone on this board that thinks a dog is just a dog! They are our babies! I'm sorry your baby has to stay overnight but hopefully she will get better and come home soon! :hope

When this crisis is over, I want to know more about how you chose your username! (Seeing as how I'm a grammar lover.) :)

When I read the user name I got gramma rules as in Gramma is the ruler of the house.

When I read the user name I got gramma rules as in Gramma is the ruler of the house.

Doh! You're right, I'm sure. Just goes to show how a bias distorts perception! ;)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

You won't find anyone on this board that thinks a dog is just a dog! They are our babies! I'm sorry your baby has to stay overnight but hopefully she will get better and come home soon! :hope

AGREED!!!!! Our hearts are completely controlled by these babies.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I hope your puppy has a speedy and full recovery.

It sounds like you might be new to the greyhound breed. If so, you may not know that these wonderful dogs are quite different from other dogs, especially medically. Dr. Feeman (a vet who is a member of this site and who takes a special interest in greyhounds) has written a wonderful article. You can read this and also take a copy to your vet. It does sound like your vet is knowledgeable about greyhounds (your comment about the blood values being different) but it can never hurt to make sure your doc has all the important information.

So here is the link:

http://www.animalmedicalcentreofmedina.com/files/vet/21/e369c6e9.pdf

Jane

Hopefully she feels better soon! Not normal for a puppy to be ill....I lost lots of sleep over my little one during her puppyhood...hopefully your did not eat anything she shouldn't have...

Guest grammarules

My baby, Shelby, is home. :colgate I was able to pick her up this morning. She still tires easy and is on steriods for a couple of weeks. Doctor still isn't sure what made her get so sick. She needs more blood work in a few weeks to make sure her blood count is up where it's supposed to be. She is on a special Gastro food for a while. Even my Bichon missed her and usually she just barely tollerates her(She's a crabby old lady). Thank you for all your support in my crisis.