Roger Needs Surgery

Guest Rogersmom

Roger seems to be doing better today. He is getting really spoiled. I take his cone off and walk him to go potty instead of letting him in the back yard as I am afraid he will jump in the garden pond which is something he loved to do. He is lying on my bed now, wearing his cone, and being somewhat sedated from his Rimadyl. I had to hold his food dish today while he laid on the floor, cone off, and beg him to eat. Such a prince!

At least he is not crying, shaking, or panting anymore. I did get Rescue Remedy for him. I am not sure how often to use it. It is also difficult to tell if anything sprays out of the container or not. If I were to cut the cone down, we could have gotten a smaller one. The vet said it had to cover his nose.

You can use it as often as you think he needs it. It is completely safe. Its effectiveness is based on energy not chemical strength. I would give him at least 2 doses a day. The liquid kind you can just put a few drops in his water and then not even have to worry about giving it. Maybe you can just squirt some in his water and then you'll know he got it if you see it go in and he drinks the water. I do believe it will help him. Everything is energy! Get well kisses to Roger!

Guest Rogersmom

Roger seems to be doing better today. He is getting really spoiled. I take his cone off and walk him to go potty instead of letting him in the back yard as I am afraid he will jump in the garden pond which is something he loved to do. He is lying on my bed now, wearing his cone, and being somewhat sedated from his Rimadyl. I had to hold his food dish today while he laid on the floor, cone off, and beg him to eat. Such a prince!

At least he is not crying, shaking, or panting anymore. I did get Rescue Remedy for him. I am not sure how often to use it. It is also difficult to tell if anything sprays out of the container or not. If I were to cut the cone down, we could have gotten a smaller one. The vet said it had to cover his nose.

You can use it as often as you think he needs it. It is completely safe. Its effectiveness is based on energy not chemical strength. I would give him at least 2 doses a day. The liquid kind you can just put a few drops in his water and then not even have to worry about giving it. Maybe you can just squirt some in his water and then you'll know he got it if you see it go in and he drinks the water. I do believe it will help him. Everything is energy! Get well kisses to Roger!

Thanks. With the cone on Roger is not drinking as much water as he used to. When I take the cone off for him to drink, he is hesitant. A friend bought Rescue Remedy in the spray form for him. Now I know I can use it more often. It is hard to tell if the spray get on his tongue or not. That cone has to be a pain to wear. When Roger drulls, the drull has no place to go.

You can also get a plastic turn out muzzle and a stool guard. The stool guard fits on it with two plastic tie-wraps. Be sure to cover the ends of the tie wraps with soft tape or file them round so they can't scratch the area. You can also put some duct tape on a muzzle, be sure to leave some holes so he can drink.

However, if he is a big-time licker, they can still get some saliva through the holes. If you are there monitoring him, you can cover the whole end of the muzzle (not the edges) with tape. You will need to remove the muzzle for drinking and for anytime you are not in sight.

I don't like to leave mine with the muzzle/lick guard on. I worry about him vomiting and the vomit not having anywhere to go and suffocating or him aspirating -- but I am a first class worrier.

In any case, it would give him a bit of a break from the cone.

You might also put a small tshirt on him. Use rubber bands at the back of the neck and at the back to snug it up. You would still need to keep him from licking though with a muzzle or e-collar but it would provide a second layer of defense.

There are also some soft collars that might work. Search on-line (Bite Not collar is one of them.

Jane

Guest Rogersmom

A Bite Not Collar was suggested. I do not know how to measure Roger for one. His neck is 16.5 inches around. The small collar is 14-17 inches but it is only 3.5 inches. That is not much bigger than his Martingale Collar. The collar that seems like it would be wide enough to prevent Roger licking his incision would be much larger than he would need. Oh well. I think that even when the drains are removed he will still need to be prevented from licking his wound.

Liz, I just heard this news about Roger. Sorry to hear of the injury, but he appears to be doing well. It doesn't look too bad. Good wishes to you and Roger for a speedy recovery. R.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rogersmom

Rogr had his two week post op visit to the vet's. The two drains were taken out on September 26. He had his stitches removed

and was such a good boy. He did not make a peep (but you know I mean whine). There was still one scab which was a little bloody.

Roger has to wear the cone for another 5 days. He has already knocked the scab off on one of the times I took the cone off for him

to eat. Now that his incision is healing, he is starting to lick his back feet. It looks like inspite of removing foods he is allergic to,

he still gets "hot spots".

Thanks to all for their concern. I certainly hope I never have to go through this again. My son thinks I should not take Roger anywhere as this is the second time he was bit this year. I was lucky the first time as the person whose dog bit Roger paid the vet bill. This time, I do not know whose dog bit him and I had to cover the entire bill myself. Roger is going to end up having a scar about the size of a silver dollar on his left side.

So, my little puppy boy survived.

Best wishes,

Liz and Roger (aka boo boo boy)

Guest Rogersmom

I'm just seeing this. Poor, poor Roger. I'm so glad that he's doing better.

He looks so much like my Teddy!

He does look like Teddy except he has a little white line across his muzzle. His sister Dingo has one also. I call it his Harry Potter mark.

I have been walking Roger on the lease to go potty instead of letting him run free in the backyard. I give him a treat when he goes potty. He is so into treats that he takes care of business not far from our house. He races like the wind to find a good spot, dragging me behind. After he takes care of business and gets his cookie, he walks like a gentleman. I can't wait until he can run free in the backyard again. He does so love it.

I am glad everything has healed well for Roger. Hoping he will be able to run free in the backyard soon.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.