Learning To Sit

Guest pichick712

Guest pichick712

I know this may sound silly but I heard that racing greyhounds do not know how to sit. They only stood or laid down when they were at the farm.

Can I teach Indy to sit? I know he's a smart boy but will he get the concept of sitting?

My two both sit very well, my last one sat too, and I had three fosters all of whom learned to sit. None of them knew how to sit when I got them, they all learned though, all at different paces and in different ways. I had to coax some of them, others learned by watching other dogs.

All of the dogs i never hold them in a sit position for long since i don't know how it affects thier joints.

Summer sits nicely. I tried all the conventional methods of teaching her but she would not be coaxed. So I put my weight across her hips and firmly and relentlessly (yet gently, paying attention to where her legs and things were going at ALL times) shoved her down. I had to do this only TWICE and she learned. She was so thrilled when she realized that she could do what I was asking and that she'd joined the dots! To teach her to lie down was a snap after that as she knew the command had something to do with her body. :lol

And every greyhound I've met who has parents who have taught them to sit... Oh, they're funny! They sit here and sit there and sit everywhere... all in the hopes of getting a random treat!

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Wasserbuffel

You're right, they don't sit at the farm and racing kennels. They're never asked to and never taught the meaning of the word.

I hadn't planned on teaching mine to sit after hearing that it is uncomfortable for many greys, but then I caught her in a natural sit on the hill in my yard, then in her crate. I was given advice by another member here to teach her on the hill (dog facing downhill) as it is easier because they don't have to lower their butt so far to get into a sit. I did that and it only took about five repetitions before she got it (sit then became the answer for EVERYTHING for a while). Since then she's learned to sit elsewhere when asked, even in the lake.

Edited by Jayne

Guest Swifthounds

Most greyhounds don't know how to sit because it was never a useful skill, so they were never taught. That said, and gryehound who isn't injured can be taught to sit. All of my greyhounds have learned to sit and it has come in handy.

I only teach mine to sit on command if they sit naturally on their own. My current two both sit frequently and happily but my two previous ones never did.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I have three and all three were taught using the "hug and fold" method. One of my hounds was a broken leg hound as well, so in my opinion any greyhound can be taught to sit. My most recent adoption (Jesse) must have been taught to sit by her previous owner (dont know her history as she was found wandering and picked up by AC) as she prefers to sit in the back yard over laying down, go figure. You must realize that when they are racing they are taught very little that doesnt help them either run fast, or remain under control (leash manners) while being moved from one place to another. Why would a greyhound that is in a racing kennel need to sit or come? No real need, generally they are not pets while they are racing. I use the sit command as a behavior tool to calm them down if they get too excited about something. It is very useful in teaching them self-control such as when someone comes to the door.

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

The grey pups at the kennel i worked at i'd often spot sitting in their paddocks which surprised me, but i think only one of the adults would choose to sit, so perhaps it becomes less comfy as they age. Throp would briefy sit on his own and is a smart cookie so picked up how to do it on command very quickly, for a long time Hector just didn't seem to get what was being asked so we'd about given up and accepted it wasn't for him. I think it then clicked that Throp got treats when he sat so Hector copied him, at first it was more of a semi-down but now he usually does a more normal sit. They boys only ever sit briefly, which is all i ask so i find down a much more useful command.

Guest lasharp1209

Blade can sit but I notice his back legs tremble when he does, so I don't make him do it often. I usually ask for a down instead because I know it's more comfortable for him.

Guest NeroAmber

Hug and fold did't work for us- and it spooked Nero (Amber learned sit very quickly, but Nero didn;t learn from her unfortunately!)

We eventually got him to do it by backing him into a corner, by waving a treat in front of his nose- so it wasn't scary that there was suddenly 'no escape' behind him. Then we just stood a little closer until he had to either jump- which didn't get him the treat- or sit- which did. Added to this is he ever sat on his own I clickered at him and he got a treat.

I think that's one of those myths that just won't die! A woman at my old condo, who was from Russia, informed me that "They use cattle prods on them so they won't sit--Greyhounds won't sit!" and I looked at George and said, "Sit," and he did, and she was HONESTLY amazed.

While many hounds may choose not to sit, that doesn't mean they CAN'T sit. And your hound might not give you a perfect sit (big butt muscles and long legs make it a bit funny looking!), but you can teach it.

Goerge is a very stubborn and independent minded guy, and if HE can be taught to sit on command, I think most any dog can! I used the good old tuck and fold method, and since he's highly food motivated, I used treats. Only took three days.

Now when he REALLY REALLY wants something, he sits and looks up at me hopefully!

I have never seen him sit on his own, but he will sit when I tell him to, or when he's in super beg mode. He doesn't stay seated--but he won't stay laying down either when I tell him to!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Most greyhounds don't know how to sit because it was never a useful skill, so they were never taught. That said, and gryehound who isn't injured can be taught to sit. All of my greyhounds have learned to sit and it has come in handy.

Exactly. I used to have a therapy dog book that had a picture of about 20 greyhounds sitting. I was priceless.

Yes they can learn. They have never needed to and some have sighthound stubborness, but thay can sit. I've had some sit like a lot of doxies do with their legs thrown to one side. Buck did the funniest sit ever with his back legs in the air on either side of his front legs -- like a canine rocking chair. Too many times I'd look in the back yard and he'd be sitting there watching the world from sort of an egg shaped position.

Hug and fold did't work for us- and it spooked Nero (Amber learned sit very quickly, but Nero didn;t learn from her unfortunately!)

Hug and fold can spook a lot of greys. I went to a greyhound only obedience class run by a non greyhound person and hug and fold pretty much backfired at least in class.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest pichick712

OMG - I love all your replies. I don't want to make Indy do it if he appears uncomfortable for him but I do see it as a good tool for every dog to know. Maybe the "stay" command will work better? I just hate seeing him stand and stand and stand if I am talking to someone for a long time. Indy would get too spooked if I grabbed him from behind so that may not work right now. In time, I might be able to but definitely not now.

Guest Jubilee251

Molly sits, but I never expect her to do a sit/stay. When I have her stay, she stands or does a down. Her sit not truly a sit - her butt doesn't touch the ground - so it's not super comfortable for her.

Guest sophiesmum

at my first one-on-one lesson with the dog trainer to see if Sophie would be suitable for a group class I told the trainer that "Greyhounds dont sit" because I heard that they can't. The trainer was like "Ok, but lets give it a go anyway".

She taught me a technique of holding the treat right up to Sophie (just above head height, out of reach) then and basically backed her into a corner against something while still holding the treat up above her head so she was natually tilted in attention for the treat. In the first instance the trainer backed her up against by legs and gently told her to "Sit". As soon as she lowered her bottom (due to being backed into me) we paid her. It took a few goes but she did it. Once she figured out what the "Sit" word mean't she didnt need to be "backed in" and would start to squat in sitting position when she heard the word. With some practice she is now awesome at sitting.

I was really grateful to have learned this because its useful in all kinds of situations and Im not sure if forcing her bottom to the ground would have been a very positive way to learn.

It still doesnt look overly comfortable (she kinda squats with her bottom a bit above the ground) but I dont expect her to hold the position long (its just handy in the first few minutes when someone comes to the door or when waiting briefly at traffic lights when out walking). The only time she will voluntarily go into sitting position is in the back of the car so she can see out the window and still maintain her centre of gravity.

Guest pennmorgan

I thought Olivia was untrainable on the sitting front. We'd tried everything--backing her into a corner, waving a treat above her nose, tuck and fold, praising and treating whenever she accidentally sat (e.g., to scratch herself)--but NOTHING worked.

Recently we moved to a new city and I got a job, so we have to have a dog walker a few times a week. She learned immediately from him. I have no idea what they did (maybe I don't want to know?) but she sits like an angel now! I'm so proud of her. :)

I only tried to get DesiRay to "sit" once & he looked so pitiful & uncomfortable, I never did it again. His sire was "Flying Train"

and that's exactly what he looks like....a train. Tiny little head, 85lb of muscle coming behind....He's sooooooo looooong.

Now when we're outside walking, crossing the street, meeting neighbors, etc. I use "by me" & he velcros himself to my leg.

Works for us. :rolleyes:

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest pichick712

I like that "by me" phrase although with Indy,it's pretty much a "given". I guess they rused to standing for long periods of time? I just feel bad for him standing and standing and standing (and standing). lol

i teach sit from a down position. have your pup down in a comfortable place, preferably on a run. i use a cookie to lure then into doing doggie push-ups. doggie push-ups:lure them up into a sit and back into a down and i like to throw in hand signals w/ a morsel of food in each hand, somehow i treat and reward the dog. with enough repetition they feel comfortable doing it then i hold the treat in the sit position and say the word and hand signal. somehow it clicks. felix (never on the track)w/ huge hocks feels uncomfortable, annie (a track) dog pops into a sit 1,2,3. don't count on them holding it for any length of time. once they get it check and make sure the tail in tucked to the left of right under their butt. if it's straight out it's like a kangaroo's tail pushing them up. they learn to tuck the tail to the side very quickly.

have fun :colgate