Heartz Generic Heartguard

phall

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I use Ivermectin monthly, and frontline plus during the warmer months (Chicago). The Ivermectin basically costs me about $.50 a month and I get frontline in mass quantities when Costco has it in stock (usually $35.00/3 month box).

You wouldn't have found this at Joe's Pet Meds in Australia which you keep insisting ships from Hong Kong would you? :lol

I have a box here for Poodle. It is exactly the same ingredients as the Heartgold Plus I've been using for years from AU. To me 136 mcg of Ivermectin and 114 mg of pyrantel is what it is. Be advised that the box I have IS made in India -- but then so is the generic Flomax my neighors Dad gets from Canada.

You can go all over the place on HW protocol. A very grey savvy vet told me it was better to use straight Ivermectin and occasionally dose with a broard sprectrum wormer that use a combo product. She also told me Heartguard Plus was one of the most overpriced things on the market. There are people on here that say you should never use any type of wormer on your dogs unless you have a problem.

Some people are the type that only buy Heartgard from their vet so they can be covered if the dog does get heartworms (tho I do wonder how you PROVE you gave it every 30 days) and buy extended warrenties on all their appliances and automobiles. some people aren't. Only you can decide what you want to do.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Yup - it is from Joes Pet Meds! The interesting thing is the order is processed through Hong Kong - I verified that with my credit card company, made in India, but it ships from Australia. Interesting.....

I checked the ingredients and as you say, it's exactly the same as Heartguard Plus.

You're so right in you can go all over the place with the protocol. I'm still sifting my way through it, but with the ingredients being exactly the same and hearing that you and a few others use Joes Pet Meds, I think I'll try it.

Thanks!

Pat

You wouldn't have found this at Joe's Pet Meds in Australia which you keep insisting ships from Hong Kong would you? :lol

I have a box here for Poodle. It is exactly the same ingredients as the Heartgold Plus I've been using for years from AU. To me 136 mcg of Ivermectin and 114 mg of pyrantel is what it is. Be advised that the box I have IS made in India -- but then so is the generic Flomax my neighors Dad gets from Canada.

You can go all over the place on HW protocol. A very grey savvy vet told me it was better to use straight Ivermectin and occasionally dose with a broard sprectrum wormer that use a combo product. She also told me Heartguard Plus was one of the most overpriced things on the market. There are people on here that say you should never use any type of wormer on your dogs unless you have a problem.

Some people are the type that only buy Heartgard from their vet so they can be covered if the dog does get heartworms (tho I do wonder how you PROVE you gave it every 30 days) and buy extended warrenties on all their appliances and automobiles. some people aren't. Only you can decide what you want to do.

So not trying to stir up a hornets nest here but.....the owner of the natural pet food store where the kids get their kibble actually said NO heart guard. He raises labs and has never had a problem.

Any thoughts on that?

:unsure

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

I have been using the Heartz ivermectin.I order from Canada along with my scripts. Our group dispenses liquid Ivermectin,but I fear over dosing or under if I don't get it down the first time. I used the expensive tabs from the vet,but too many eager mouths were "looking for a treat"

So not trying to stir up a hornets nest here but.....the owner of the natural pet food store where the kids get their kibble actually said NO heart guard. He raises labs and has never had a problem.

Any thoughts on that?

Is he saying no Heartgard as in name brand or no Heartworm preventive in general? The Idexx map shows 100-250 dogs a year in CT diagnosed with HW. I sure as heck wouldn't want to take the chance it to be one of mine. It happens a lot here and it's not pretty nor inexpensive to treat. It is a real case of an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The amount of Ivermectin is just teeny tiny and you can just give straight Ivermectin pills without the wormer.

Any thoughts on that?

Is he saying no Heartgard as in name brand or no Heartworm preventive in general? The Idexx map shows 100-250 dogs a year in CT diagnosed with HW. I sure as heck wouldn't want to take the chance it to be one of mine. It happens a lot here and it's not pretty nor inexpensive to treat. It is a real case of an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The amount of Ivermectin is just teeny tiny and you can just give straight Ivermectin pills without the wormer.

He said not at all! I'll try to find the print out he gave me and see if there's a link......

Really-no hornets nest. I was really taken aback when he said it!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest Swifthounds

There are actually a lot of people out there who do not do the monthly heartworm "preventaative" (which isn't a preventative at all we know). Many of them raw feed, do low or no vaccs, don't toss out antibiotics needlessly and thus feel that their healthier dog with a healthier immune system is capable of fighting off an infestation. Whether that's absolutely true or not I don't know, but I have yet to see any of them having dogs test positive. It is worth noting that the majority of HW cases are in stray and abandoned dogs, who likely haven't had much of anything in the way of care.

Swifthound may make a case. I feel 100% the same way about kennel cough. To me it seems to largely occur in kennel situations where the dog is not only in a confined area with lots of dogs but also stressed by being away from its owner that in turm wears down its immune sysyem. In my mind the odds for a happy home dog getting kennel cough are not enough to justify a shot that only works on less than half the strains. My vet firmly believes Elvis staph infection in May was caused by an immune system weakened by stress. :blush oh wait....we were talking about HW....

I do have mention that Homer the outdoor lab across the alley who for 8 years has always has a clean yard, food and water and is always UTD on rabies was recently diagnosed with early stage HW and Jesus his owner is very upset. He's been the same seemingly healthy dog in the same yard for 8 years and now he turns up positive. It just takes one bite.

Edited by Hubcitypam

To add to what Swifthounds said, all thoughts about your dogs immunity aside (I am one of those said raw feeders/light medicators), you don't need to give preventative every month for it to be effective. I don't have the links handy, but Ivermectin kills any heartworms that have not reached the adult stage, which takes ~3 months. Also notable that with Ivermectin in particular there is a "reach back" effect. Research showed (and please don't quote4 me on this, but I'm pretty sure I'm remembering correctly) that if given 4 months apart, it was still 95% effective at eliminating heartworms. On top of that (should I go on? :P) once the temp drops below a certain number the life cycle can't continue (outside of the body) so there is no longer a risk of your dog becoming infected. Temp also slipping my mind, but you can find maps that indicate what months you should treat accordingly - the maps are generous - a more reserved approach would be to do it based on actual temperatures.

So, having said all of that, I think giving straight Heartguard every 2 months during only warmer months is a very safe approach. Also look at the dosages, I recently realized that the pill that is the one I would given Neyla is well over hte minimum dosage required for her weight. For Zuri its much closer so I will just give him the whole pill, but for Neyla I am now giving less by cutting pills.

Really, the whole thing is a rip off. Yes, I think you should take precautions and not end up with a heartworm infestation, but you can do it giving a lot less chemical and save yourself a good bit of money in teh meantime.

To the OP, I don't know anything about that particular generic, but I recently ordered a generic from deadfleaz (also in AU) and one thing to note is that the dosages were different. They weren't listed on teh site, but it seemed obvious to me b/c the weight range was different than Heartguard's so I emailed the company and they confirmed the actual dosages, which were still based on the 2.72 mcg/lb of body weight by the way. Those ones actually work out better for us because they still cover Zuri, but don't go over the min dosage for him by as much.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Energy11

I just started using Joes Pet Meds... A LOT of others I know, use their Generic Heartguard. http://www.joespetmeds.com/

Good Luck!

Soneone suggested I order through PetSuppliesNet.com, which I've done, and you might find even cheaper prices through them. (Austrailia I believe.)

Thanks for the website! I will check it out: :-))