I Obviously Need Some New Training Techniques...

Guest greyt_learner

Guest greyt_learner

We've had our new girl for just over 3 weeks now, and she's settling in wonderfully. she's given our older girl a new lease on life after living with a boy who would never play with her.

Anyway, she learned pretty quickly (after the first time!) not to leap out of the car the instant the door is opened and to wait until I say she can jump out, but I just can't get her to shake a paw... I know that it's not important that she know how to do it, it's just that all my other dogs, hounds and non-hounds have picked it up after a few tries. I've been doing it for ages with her and I think she's just decided that "shake" means "wait for momma to pick up your foot and you'll get a yummy treat" or she's just seeing how much she can get away with:) Or it's just too soon for the silly tricks thing:)

Well, just curious if anyone has any great ideas to help her learn some silly stuff... :):blink:

You are exactly right. She's got you trained. Don't pick up her foot or tell her to shake. Just carry some treats around with you and wait until she lifts her paw on her own (for whatever reason). Then give her the treat. You can add the command in then or after a few times if she doesn't quite get it yet.

I hope that made sense. :blink: Someone help me here.

Jenn

Edited by jenn8
gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Guest greyt_learner

Thanks, it made perfect sense. It's the way I've done other commands, like lie down, so I don't know why I didn't try this one like that :unsure it's just that I've always done "shake" the way I described before, but I guess it's time for this old dog to learn some new tricks :lol

Guest sophiesmum

when I took Sophie to obedience classes the dog trainer taught me how to do this.

Get the dog to sit then hold the treat over to one side (opposing side to the paw you want them to lift), this puts them slightly off balance which will make them raise their paw. When they raise their paw, pay with treat.

It was really fun teaching Sophie this trick and it also helped with putting on her harness. Now, though, if she wants something she will sit and raise her paw and wait for us to notice. So cute!

I like to capture behaviour, and using the clicker, you can reward the very slightest lift of a paw at the very moment she lifts it and go from there, but remember that giving a paw is a natural, submissive, move on a dog's part and she may not be quite ready to trust you that far yet. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Get the dog to sit then hold the treat over to one side (opposing side to the paw you want them to lift), this puts them slightly off balance which will make them raise their paw. When they raise their paw, pay with treat.

That's a great idea! Only none of my girls are balanced enough in a sit to lean to one side. They would just lay down and give the pitiful eyes for the treat! :lol Rainy has little interest in treats and tricks, but this winter I'm hoping to teach Sunshine to jump through a hula hoop! B)

------

Jessica

Guest greyt_learner

I like to capture behaviour, and using the clicker, you can reward the very slightest lift of a paw at the very moment she lifts it and go from there, but remember that giving a paw is a natural, submissive, move on a dog's part and she may not be quite ready to trust you that far yet. :)

Actually, I didn't know that was a submissive behaviour - you learn something new every day. I know that when we picked her, she seemed submissive to out older girl, Ariel (who can be a little snarky) and we considered that a good thing. Lately though, she likes to stand over Ariel, and I am floored that Ariel lets her! But maybe she's testing her limits and that's why she's reluctant to do the submissive paw thing...

They certainly can surprise you, can't they? How funny that Ariel looks as if she's going to be second in command after all! Don't worry, they really don't mind which order they come in as long as they know what it is - and they may surprise you yet again and reverse the roles a few times before they settle to their true order.

As to testing her limits .. well, you could be right, but three weeks is hardly any time at all. I'd guess she's still settling in.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

this might be a dumb question, but have you ever worked with your other dogs on the 'shake' thing in front of her? Maybe if she saw other dogs reactions to the commands and the getting of the treat she will have a *lightbulb* moment.

Guest greyt_learner

I have been doing it with Ariel in front of her - I think she's too focused on the treat in my hand. I need to hide the treat so she can focus on what I'm doing with her:) Maybe I'll give it a little more time, her personality is still emerging.... we're in trouble... :lol:wub: