Odd Results From X-Ray ~ Pos Osteo

Our vet emailed Dr Couto last night and she did go ahead and sign up and pay for a membership in the hopes it would hurry things along. She sent me a copy of her email and she will be doing a follow-up phone call on Friday if she hasn't heard back from him.

I think the quality of the xray is pretty decent considering all. The vet would not hesitate to send Bay to another local vet if she wasn't comfortable with the situation. She doesn't have a massive "I know it all" ego, so at the moment we're going to wait and see what Dr Couto recommends. I would want an opinion from him regardless of what vet we used.

I always had in the back of my mind that I would never want to put a dog through amputation for osteo because it just didn't prolong their life long enough to warrant all of the expense, discomfort, etc. Now, I've pretty much thrown that idea out the window since this may have been caught early enough that she would have a relatively normal life span. Knowing that she will be 11 in February, we could be maybe have a couple of years at best and it makes it all worthwhile. Other than this possible osteo thing going on, she's in good health so....well, so much for trying to plan ahead.

post-7960-097821200 1285177349_thumb.jpg

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

I think the quality of the xray is pretty decent considering all. The vet would not hesitate to send Bay to another local vet if she wasn't comfortable with the situation. She doesn't have a massive "I know it all" ego, so at the moment we're going to wait and see what Dr Couto recommends. I would want an opinion from him regardless of what vet we used.

I think it's great that your vet is openminded and that she's already made an effort to work with Dr. Couto. My suggestion wasn't a critique of your vet. Most regular vets simply cannot afford the equipment that a specialty hospital/practice can offer. I thought you were asking for a way to be more certain of an osteo dx and if you're not going to do the FNA, I can't think of anything else beyond better x-rays. Feel free to take a look at mine and see if you see a difference keeping in mind that these are reduced in size. Again, I'm happy to email you the full size versions so you can do a true comparison:

Healthy leg, which my ortho said looked like the bone of an adolescent it was so pristine

NeylaRightShoulder.jpg

Osteo leg:

NeylaLeftShoulder051810.jpg

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I think it's great that your vet is openminded and that she's already made an effort to work with Dr. Couto. My suggestion wasn't a critique of your vet. Most regular vets simply cannot afford the equipment that a specialty hospital/practice can offer. I thought you were asking for a way to be more certain of an osteo dx and if you're not going to do the FNA, I can't think of anything else beyond better x-rays. Feel free to take a look at mine and see if you see a difference keeping in mind that these are reduced in size. Again, I'm happy to email you the full size versions so you can do a true comparison:

I can see on the osteo leg where it shows up a little funky on the xray near the top of the bone. Just doesn't look like the good leg.

Oh trust me, I didn't take your suggestion as a vet critique. She knows her practice isn't as high tech as another one in town and we've talked about taking Bay over to the high tech vets office for more tests, etc if Dr Couto draws a blank. She's really an amazing vet in that respect.

We've been to the high tech vets office with one of our other greys when she broke her foot and needed surgery and again last year when she was having some odd symptoms and we needed an ultra sound.

I figure it's my dog and my money and I'll go where my critters get the best care for the situation. Most of the time, everything is pretty routine....this time, it wasn't.

We may end up having the other vets office doing the surgery, just don't know at the moment.

Too many "ifs" going on right now.

edited 'cause I can't seem to spell or form a cohesive sentence.

Edited by greyhounds1234

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

This is certainly been a wild week of vet visits, phone calls and emails back and forth from the vet.

Bay has an appointment at 9am Monday with an orthopedic surgeon at the high-tech vets office. He will be doing in FNA and amputation if he is certain it is cancer. If there is a doubt about it, the results will be sent off to Dr Couto and we'll see what he determines. At this particular second in time, I'm betting that her leg will be coming off.

Me, well, I have enough xanax to get me through about anything. :rolleyes:

:goodluck that the FNA comes back negative. I think you will feel some sort of relief at least having an answer one way or the other. And :hope that the surgery goes well if it does turn out to be osteo.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thank you.

This weekend will be busy finding some runners to put down in the kitchen so the tile won't cause a problem for her. Not going to buy them 'til Monday~just in case~but I'll at least know where to get them if I need them. I'm trying to be optimistic but realistic at the same time....it's a tough balance.

Since I pretty much already decided to have the orthopedic surgeon do the surgery, I stopped by the original vets office to let her know what direction we were taking, etc. I didn't want to make her mad since she did the original diagnosis and now we will be going to another vet to do the actual surgery.

She was thrilled that we were going elsewhere to have it done. She said she doesn't do that many amps and she just wasn't looking forward to it at all. So, everyone is happy.

There will be someone with Bay overnight, if she has the surgery so that is a huge relief for me. The surgical nurse said she would also stop by during the evening to check on her as well and would certainly be in touch with the surgeon if need be. Bay will be in good hands.

Now, I just need to get DH on board with all of this. He is reluctant. He'll get over it ....or not.