Better Living Thru Chemistry,

Hollis

I am so not a proponent of meds but I think in this case we need to get Missy Pants to a frame of mind where she can learn we're ok. So we're starting cloe-something. I asked 3 times and promptly forgot three times. Its a name I've read here. No idea the dosage yet, will be picked up tonight. Doc say can take 3-4 weeks before its in her system enough to work. Where will we be in 3 weeks? Dewey. I'm really really torn. I have no one I can leave her with. I really dont think she'd do well boarding. And at this point I'm kind of scared to take her. Once we get her harness on, it wont come off until we're back home. And even though were we're staying has an awesome dog run, I can let her off leash. Not the way she is.

Advice?

Thoughts?

Prayers?

HELP!

My poor sweet little girl.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Check out these spook harness'. Every time I read where a greyhound has slipped his collar I wish everyone would use these.

http://www.majesticc...com/harness.htm

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest LindsaySF

Clomipramine perhaps?

I second the spook harness suggestion with the double leash, one segment attaches to the harness, one to the collar.

Bree might be able to stay with me if you think she can't handle Dewey. I don't think I'm going this year.

If you do go, I would avoid the big crowds, don't go onto the beach during peak time, etc. Is she afraid of strange people. dogs, cars, what? Honey can be spooky about some things but she did well in Dewey and GIG.

~Lindsay~

I am so not a proponent of meds but I think in this case we need to get Missy Pants to a frame of mind where she can learn we're ok. So we're starting cloe-something. I asked 3 times and promptly forgot three times. Its a name I've read here. No idea the dosage yet, will be picked up tonight. Doc say can take 3-4 weeks before its in her system enough to work. Where will we be in 3 weeks? Dewey. I'm really really torn. I have no one I can leave her with. I really dont think she'd do well boarding. And at this point I'm kind of scared to take her. Once we get her harness on, it wont come off until we're back home. And even though were we're staying has an awesome dog run, I can let her off leash. Not the way she is.

Advice?

Thoughts?

Prayers?

HELP!

Probably chlomipramine hydrochloride (the name of the human version) now repackaged and more expensively known as Clomicalm. Carl was on it, it took about 2 - 3 weeks for it to get up to a therapeutic level in his blood stream. We needed it for his SA. It was truly the last resort. I didn't see any ill side effects, no personality changes, no lethargy or extra sleeping. I don't know the reason for your girl to go on it, but I can tell you, it does help them with learning new skills. In Carl's case, new coping skills for being home without me. His fear and anxiety was manageable so that we could actually do home alone training, etc. I'd just caution you not to take her off of it too, soon. I wish I'd kept Carl on it for another 2 - 3 months so that the new skills were really ingrained habits when he came off the meds, not just new behaviors. Best to you and Bree!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I don't have any personal experience with Clomicalm. My whippet was placed on it before he ended up at our house, but it didn't work for him. When we eventually resorted to better living through chemistry with him, we went the Reconcile/Prozac route, which did work. Just throwing it out there, just in case! The medication route definitely worked for us. He is now off it entirely and doing as well as we could have hoped. I am glad that we went that way and then worked with him. Made a world of difference. Good luck!

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest krystolla

I don't love the drugs but the drugs love me. B)

Seriously, though, the most important thing is that you stay calm so she can stay calm. Find a harness you trust and TRUST it to stay on. Dewey will be full of greyhounds and greyhound people; all of whom have better odds of understanding how to act around a nervous Bree than your average group. Some greyhounds calm down in the presence of other greys -- so even without the clomicalm you have a boost.

Even if Bree squiggles out of her harness, you've got more people in the vicinity who are ready and willing to search for a greyhound then probably any other place and time. But she wont, because you've got a good harness and you've already thought of that.

I'd suggest getting some sort of mobile "safe place", like a pop-up kennel or a cushy bed, that she can get used to at home and have with her wherever you are staying. A blanket to lie on that smells like home might even be good to carry around while touring, maybe if it's enough of a safe spot it will work even in the park or at a booth.

There you go, thoughts and advice. As my DH likes to say, "You don't need prayers, you've got skill!" ;)

If it were me, I'd leave her with Lindsay instead of taking her to Dewey. It just feels too soon. Sure, you can maybe *manage* it. But how much fun will that be? For either of you.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

First, thanks to all for the responses.

Check out these spook harness'. Every time I read where a greyhound has slipped his collar I wish everyone would use these.

http://www.majesticc...com/harness.htm

Yup, need to order. Was kind of hoping to find AT Dewey, but I'm not sure I should wait.

What kind of advice were you looking for, exactly?

Not sure really. Just support I guess. I feel guilty going this route.

Clomipramine perhaps?

I second the spook harness suggestion with the double leash, one segment attaches to the harness, one to the collar.

Bree might be able to stay with me if you think she can't handle Dewey. I don't think I'm going this year.

If you do go, I would avoid the big crowds, don't go onto the beach during peak time, etc. Is she afraid of strange people. dogs, cars, what? Honey can be spooky about some things but she did well in Dewey and GIG.

~Lindsay~

I'm not sure Lindsay. Even feeding her is a chore. We have to put the food down and stand stock still. ANY movements and she runs. But I will talk to Dot. And so appreciate the offer. Will get back to you!

Advice?

Thoughts?

Prayers?

HELP!

Probably chlomipramine hydrochloride (the name of the human version) now repackaged and more expensively known as Clomicalm. Carl was on it, it took about 2 - 3 weeks for it to get up to a therapeutic level in his blood stream. We needed it for his SA. It was truly the last resort. I didn't see any ill side effects, no personality changes, no lethargy or extra sleeping. I don't know the reason for your girl to go on it, but I can tell you, it does help them with learning new skills. In Carl's case, new coping skills for being home without me. His fear and anxiety was manageable so that we could actually do home alone training, etc. I'd just caution you not to take her off of it too, soon. I wish I'd kept Carl on it for another 2 - 3 months so that the new skills were really ingrained habits when he came off the meds, not just new behaviors. Best to you and Bree!

Yup, Clomicalm. 80 mg once a day.

I don't have any personal experience with Clomicalm. My whippet was placed on it before he ended up at our house, but it didn't work for him. When we eventually resorted to better living through chemistry with him, we went the Reconcile/Prozac route, which did work. Just throwing it out there, just in case! The medication route definitely worked for us. He is now off it entirely and doing as well as we could have hoped. I am glad that we went that way and then worked with him. Made a world of difference. Good luck!

Cindy

Thanks for the other names. I have 30 days worth. Will see if this does ANYTHING for her and then take it from there.

I don't love the drugs but the drugs love me. B)

Seriously, though, the most important thing is that you stay calm so she can stay calm. Find a harness you trust and TRUST it to stay on. Dewey will be full of greyhounds and greyhound people; all of whom have better odds of understanding how to act around a nervous Bree than your average group. Some greyhounds calm down in the presence of other greys -- so even without the clomicalm you have a boost.

Even if Bree squiggles out of her harness, you've got more people in the vicinity who are ready and willing to search for a greyhound then probably any other place and time. But she wont, because you've got a good harness and you've already thought of that.

I'd suggest getting some sort of mobile "safe place", like a pop-up kennel or a cushy bed, that she can get used to at home and have with her wherever you are staying. A blanket to lie on that smells like home might even be good to carry around while touring, maybe if it's enough of a safe spot it will work even in the park or at a booth.

There you go, thoughts and advice. As my DH likes to say, "You don't need prayers, you've got skill!" ;)

Yeah, me too. Zoloft is my friend. And thank you. So much. Excellent suggestions.

If it were me, I'd leave her with Lindsay instead of taking her to Dewey. It just feels too soon. Sure, you can maybe *manage* it. But how much fun will that be? For either of you.

I think I'd feel bad for Lindsay! Bree is a handful! I love her to pieces but we walk on eggshells around here!

Well we'll start the Clomicalm tonight. Doc said we can stay with the melatonin too. I just feel so bad for her!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest LindsaySF

My whole pack is a handful. :lol I have 3 other Greys here at the moment, so 11 dogs, I'm nuts. cool.gif They go home tomorrow. They have been really well-behaved though, they are nice pups.

If Bree would be freaked out by a large pack, my house is not the place for her. But if her fear is strange people, lots of noise, lots going on, I think she would do okay here. We really don't get visitors and the family is used to ignoring the nervous dogs (Sophie still only really likes me, after a year, she's weird). I pet-sit a few other nervous pups and they like it here because they get to blend into the pack, they follow the lead of the other dogs, and no one makes a big fuss over them or bothers them.

Sophie can be upset by strange/new places. She did well in GIG, I was glad. :) I brought along a crate for the hotel room and that made a huuuuge difference, she feels safe in her crate. She was roaching in it the first night. rolleyes.gif Her biggest fear is strange people really, not so much noises, etc. When walking around, I didn't put her adoption vest on (wanted to avoid extra attention and petting) and I avoided big crowds. When we did stop and chat or people petted the dogs, I thrust one of the other dogs forward so Sophie wouldn't feel nervous. :lol She did feel safer in our pack of 4 Greys. Sophie also loves the car, so we could retreat to the car if needed.

I also lugged along an ex-pen for when we stopped to rest places and for the outside dinners. All of my dogs feel safer and more comfortable in an ex-pen, Sophie especially. Teagan also has space aggression so him passing out in a big crowd of people is not a good idea, I feel much much safer with the pen. (I have been eyeing soft-sided ex-pens on Ebay, they fold up and are lightweight, looks like it would fit 2 Greys).

~Lindsay~

Lets keep in touch then Linds. I really want to bring her and I'm really afraid to bring her! Just going to play it by ear for a bit, see if the meds do anything. But I so appreciate it!

Jacey's SA was noticeably better in less than two weeks on Clomicalm. She stopped pawing the crate to the point her feet were red and irritated, she stopped peeing and pooping in the crate when I went to work. I kept her on Clomicalm for three or four months, then eased her off even more gradually than I started her out.

These days, she can stay home, muzzled but uncrated, with just Sam for company. Miracle of miracles, she can stay home absolutely by herself--while Sam goes someplace with me--and she exhibits no signs of stress.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Bree doesnt try to get out of her crate, her crate is her safe place! And no accidents in the house since the first week and those where all me missing the signs. She did have an accident about a week ago but I had a repair man here and I should have let her out as soon as he left. Again, my fault.

She's just so scared of everything. I cant even push my hair behind my ears when she's in the room, she RUNS from me! I'm hoping a little chemical help will give her some confidence!

Edited by Holly

The drugs aren't a miracle. What they *will* do is help her brain chemistry become more balanced, so she is able to calm herself and accept behavior modification training. Don't expect to just begin giving her the medicine and POOF! it will all be better. She needs to learn to trust you and to gain some much needed confidence.

I saw big strides in my spook when I was finally able to teach her some obedience commands that helped build her confidence. The "watch me" command was very important. Most fearful or anxious dogs will not meet the gaze of a more dominant pack member. Teaching her that it was OK and that she got rewarded for doing it really boosted her confidence level. Once she was able to learn, I could teach her more ways to be successful, and she began to blossom.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Well I'm sure I shouldnt believe this. Probably wishful thinking but I SWEAR she was better this morning. We gave her half a pill last night and half this morning. I swear she was more relaxed. There wasnt continual panting and she actually licked the cookie while it was in my hand. Twice. Wouldnt take it from me but the licking was huge improvement.

Just going to take it day by day now.

You feel guilty? For caring enough to follow through on a problem with an anxiety ridden dog? Please don't! I think it shows a lot of caring that something you might not normally do you're willing to try because you believe it might help. Nothing to feel guilty about.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

How's Bree today?

Honestly, seriously? I swear she's just a tiny bit better. May all be in my head, but I think so!

My beagle mix was on reconcile and now she's on generic prozac. While she is still an energetic pup who loves to get into trouble, the meds have been a lifesaver for her. She literally wouldn't stop pacing from her anxiety levels when she first came home. After trying behavior mod techniques without the drugs, I can wholeheartedly say that they were a life changing nad improving thing for her. She can actually lay down and enjoy being with us or without us and doesn't panic when we leave the room.

Please don't feel guilty, you're helping Bree have a better life by trying this.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

How's Bree today?

Honestly, seriously? I swear she's just a tiny bit better. May all be in my head, but I think so.

And how about today, still better?

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Yes, I really do think so. She just not as anxious to "get away" from us. I think we made the right choice for now.

Thank you for asking!