Minor Surgery - What To Expect?

Guest iLoveLucie

Guest iLoveLucie

Lucie has a small hernia as a result of when she was spayed - it didn't heal right. We asked our vet about it months ago and she said we should keep an eye on it to make sure it didn't get too big, but we should have it fixed. There was no hurry and we could do it at the same time we had her dental cleaning since she'd have to be put under anyway.

So now it's time for her dental... it is our first time for that too. What can we expect? Ie. How long will it take? Will she have to stay over night? Will she need to have one of those cone things around her neck? How long will it take to heal? Will she be able to walk up and down stairs after? We live on the 4th floor - no elevator, which means up and down stairs 4-5 times a day for walk/potty breaks.

Of course we will be talking to our vet soon, but I wanted to check with GT-ers too!

No idea about the hernia -- depends on how big an incision they have to make to fix it. You might need a cone to keep her from bothering those stitches, and stairs could be uncomfortable for several days. Are you 100% sure it *is* a hernia and not a seroma (fluid pocket) or funny bubbles from dissolving stitches that didn't dissolve?

For the dental (or any anaesthesia), I'd ask your vet to do your pup as early as possible in the morning so she has ample time to recover before tackling the stairs. She won't need a cone for post-dental purposes. You'll likely have to help her up and down that evening and possibly the next morning, too, depending on how quickly she clears the anaesthesia. YMMV tho. My angel Zema could have anaesthesia late morning/midday and be ready to roll by early evening; in contrast, Joseph isn't safe on the stairs by himself for @ 24 hours.

If she doesn't have a harness, might want to invest in one. Easier to help pup on stairs with a harness than a collar.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I agree. Having a dental and a hernia repair means she'll be under anes. longer. Neither of my hounds wake up well.....no matter what meds we've used, it takes a long time to "wake up" to be alert & not "staggery". She may have to wear an E-collar for the sutures in the hernia repair. But I truly would not try to get her up stairs that same evening. She'll certainly try for you, but

the effort may be too much for those sutures.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest iLoveLucie

Thanks for the suggestions. My husband talked to our vet and they said this was a same day procedure - that we could drop her off early in the morning and she'd be ready to come home late afternoon/early evening. When he talked to her about our stairs, she suggested trying to have her "go slow" - hmmmmm.....

I made a sling out of a bath towel with straps on the ends to slip over my shoulder to help my girl after a stroke. Trying to help a 50+ pound dog walk when they are unable, WILL put a hurting on your back!

Will be hoping for a quick recovery for you all. :)

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Leave her at the vet for 24 hr,s , she will never make 4 flights of stairs in a drug ed stupor.

She shouldn't be in a "drugged stupor" if the vet uses the proper protocols.

Modern anesthesia wears off quite quickly. And at my vet, an overnight stay would add at least $150 to the bill.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck