Advise On Authority

Guest GoingRogue

Guest GoingRogue

I currently feed Pro plan chicken and rice, which has been fine. I have been doing research to find a food with better ingredients for around the same cost. In my research of several brands, Blue Buffalo, Iams, Eukanuba, Purina One, Pro Plan Selects, ect., I came across Authority. I did the scoring thing and it got a 102. I haven't heard much about this brand and was curious to see if anyone has heard reviews, good or bad, or uses Authority. The ingredients seem really good, it's actually better that Pro Plan as is the price.

Thanks in advance for the info :colgate

Authority chicken formula has corn and the lamb formula has wheat. (I just checked their site. Corn or wheat are the 4th ingredients listed on the two formulas.) I avoid corn and wheat with my guys, but if your dog currently gets either of those ingredients without any complications, then Authority might be fine.

One thing to keep in mind: you'll want to transition over gradually, but if you're not happy with how things are going, PetSmart will refund your money. That applies to all the brands they carry--not just their own Authority brand.

If you have a Costco near you, check out their Kirkland brand. I think both chicken and lamb formulas score well--without corn or wheat--and the price is excellent. (My guys don't do well on it, but that's just them. Silly fusspots currently don't do well on anything but costly venison.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I use authority for all 3 of my cats and all 3 of my greyhounds and my 2 foster puppies and i love it! my younger 2 greyhounds Chili and Vegas both lure course and they have great muscle tone and shiney nice fur with it. Vegas who has runny poo for what seems like forever started pooping nice firm poo with in a week of being put on it. The price is great with out cheaping out on ingredients and quality ( read the label on the canned puppy food you will be impressed).

The other selling point is if it doesnt work out petsmart will let you return opened bags of food.

If you are looking for a premium quality food at a really good price, then check out the 4Health line of dog food at Tractor Supply Company.

It is manufactured by Diamond,. This line of dog food has no corn or wheat as fillers. We have been feeding both the Chicken and Lamb versions, and our hounds are doing well on both of them. We like to switch proteins every few months, so we go back and forth between the two of them.

4Health- read the ingredients

We buy it in the large bag - 30# ranges from $29.00-$34.00 for the large bag.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

I had a few fosters with diarrhea issues due to chicken sensitivity and after researching tons of dog foods, the few reasonable priced ones that did not have chicken in them were the Authority Lamb and Rice, Natural balance Venison and sweet potato, and the Solid gold beef and barley. The Beef and barley turned out to be too rich for most and the Authority Lamb and Rice worked well while the dogs were transitioning UNTIL I was giving more than 1 cup and then the diarrhea issues would crop up again. It was a shame because it was so reasonably priced. As it turned out, the Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato seems to be the one that most of my "sensitive" fosters have done well on.

As you mentioned, the ingredients in Authority seem to be pretty good in relation to others and the price is hard to beat.