Anyone With Gh Broken Leg Experience

Guest taylorsmom

Guest taylorsmom

About a month ago Taylor broke a toe on her hind left leg. She has been in a splint and during that whole time she pretty much hopped around on three legs exclusively. Now the splint has come off and she is still not really putting any weight on that leg. The vet said it may take a little bit for her to rebuild the strength in that leg, and it does seem pretty weak. I can't really tell if it hurts her, she is very stoic when it comes to pain, so I don't know if she is keeping off it just because it is weak or if it is painful.

What I am wondering is--for people who have experience with broken legged dogs after the splint or cast is removed--how long does it take for them to put their weight on the leg and walk normally again? I am wondering if I should take her in for rehab or something. I know for humans, a little physical therapy can often do the trick. There is a canine rehab center run by a vet near where I work and I was thinking of taking her there, but I don't want to overreact (like I usually do!!) and pay a lot of money and put her through a lot if she just will get herself walking on it in a week or so. It has been about three days since the splint was removed and I don't see much change--she occasionally puts it down to bear weight but mostly still hops around.

Thanks for any help!!

Guest mcsheltie

It is still painful. A month is not enough time for it to fully heal. It is healed enough that she doesn't need the support of a cast, but it still hurts. It can take two months before a dislocated toe is healed, a break will take even longer. Just let her start using it in her own time. I actually would be glad she is favoring it, rather than wanting to run around and re-break it.

Guest taylorsmom

Just let her start using it in her own time. I actually would be glad she is favoring it, rather than wanting to run around and re-break it.

Excellent point! Should I give her some pain killers? I still have some Rimadyl from when she first broke it.

Hi..I've fostered a number of broken leg hounds they all tend to 'favor' the broken limb for some time after the cast/splint is off,pins are out and the leg is healed... my heartdog Mac was a broken hock boy who came to me well after his leg was healed and for quite some time he would favor it...he be playing and rompimg and doing just fine then all of a sudden 'remember' that it was hurt and do a few 'limpies'... :broke ..the application of a little sympathy usually cured it though.. :lol .. I've found that a VERY VERY SLOW walk with the lead very short (like with your hand just a foot or less off the collar)kind of forces them to walk on all fours rather than hop on just three..you can the build up distance slowly over time...

Dogs and small children are the only people I really get along with....MacDaddy

Guest BorzoiMom

If you could swim him that would be great to build the muscles back without the impact of the ground. My ex's Pom broke his leg, we swam him (in the tub and in streams, lol) and then I lunged him in the backyard - he loved chasing the lunge whip, lol.

Dude was in a splint for an extended time after his broken toe, and he was quite adept at hopping around at the end of that time - he even scooted up and down the stairs with it on! After it came off, he didn't really begin using his leg normally for 2-3 *months* afterward. He had lost a lot of muscle tone and it took a while to rebuild, but now you can't even tel a difference between his two hind legs.

Toni had a broken hock and came to us three months post-cast-removal. She was still favoring that leg a bit. This resolved itself within another 2 or 3 months too and now she uses that leg completely normally.

If you feel like you want to do something, I second the swim therapy. Most dogs seem to really like it after they get used to it. It helps build muscle with no weight bearing. We also had a foster with a torn tendon. He went to water treadmill therapy and did very well.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly