Looking For Mi Designer Relatives

Guest shannon252

Guest shannon252

I am on my second Mi Designer pup and my parents have now had three and we can't imagine life without one. It has recently come to our realization though that all of our Mi Designer dogs have had some variety of digestive issue and I'm wondering how many more are out there? Ted (Why Not Run) was our first. When he would take any type of oral medication at all, he would immediately get diarrhea. He was the lesser of the problem children. Harve (He's Smokin) was the second. He had a history of stress induced diarrhea and would have full on explosions when I would travel. Than came MMC Paris Athena. This girl had flat out food allergies. When we had the ELISA testing done, there were far more foods that she WAS allergic to than ones she could eat. Lucky came next (K Nine Unit) and I am now living with a full on food allergy dog and the most recent addition of two years ago is Dandee (D's Dandee) who has also just been diagnosed with food allergies. I thought my poor mother was going to cry.

Coincidence? I can't imagine it. Does your Mi Designer dog show this type of sensitivity too?

Shannon

Shannon, it's interesting that you are trying to make a genetic link for digestive issues. While I have no information for you on Mi Designer relatives, I do know that my senior (only 10.5) has lost three littermates in the last two years all to issues involving the digestive system. The parents of this litter didn't have other litters so no comparison there. I know cancer is the biggest issue for greys but I'm thinking digestive issues must be a close second. I'm curious to see what others have to say.

Joseph is a Mi Designer descendant but several generations back. Pretty much iron guts.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest shannon252

Mi Designer is immediately behind absolutely thousands of Greyhounds. His most notable passed on trait, IMO, is his Roman nose!

Oh yes, both of my Mi Designer boys have/had the nose. Lucky, my current, is nearly the spitting image of Paul but, minus the fang. Harve had the fang.

My first, Vinnie, was a Mi Designer pup but missed out on his sire's Roman nose.

Vinnie only had gut issues once, but we believed it to be an ulcer. He never had gut isssues after that time. He could not eat Nutro, or he had orange pudding poo, but I wouldn't consider it an issue. We just didn't feed it.

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Interesting. Beth has Mi Designer as a great-grandfather, and a fairly sensitive digestive system, though nothing dramatic like you describe. RobinM's Beau has the same relation and he has IBD.

Maggie is related to Beth and Beau through TNT Starwars and also has GI issues. Hum....................

Just looked at her pedigree - there's MI Designer!

Edited by DustysMom

• 1 month later...
Guest gr8hound47

Have an MI desinger grey, has never had any GI issues. IMO think a lot of gut issues is what dogs are fed and what the dog food companies are putting in the food. Most of which is not very good for dogs, unless you get the top of the line kibble, at least that food has good ingrediants and not a bunch of by products.

MOST health issues are gentic,,,, in goldens,,, CA,,, in labs,,, mast cell,,, and any person on this board that works with vets can sure tell you which breed has which common health issues,,, I feel your pain with G.I. issues :(

Guest GentleHugs

Heisman (DG's Heisman) was a Mi Designer pup but he never had any digestive issues unless he took a high dose of MSM, glucosamine and chondroitin for his Wobbler's. We adjusted him down on that and he was fine. He could eat just about anything and never had a problem. Never had any food allergies either.

His medical problem stemmed from compressed discs in his neck (Wobbler's) and Heisman didn't inherit his Daddy's nose either. He passed away due to end stage Wobbler's.

Now, if you want to talk digestive issues in a Solitary Runner/Bow Munchkin pup - I've got one that can't eat yogurt, pumpkin, any kind of high dollar kibble, veggies, etc. When I first got her, she had weekly bouts of dark green, horrible smelling liquid diarrhea until I busted her down to a more simple dog food that did not contain a lot of the prebiotics and probiotics. Once she was busted down to a simple food, the dark green, horrible smelling diarrhea stopped immediately. Her system just can't handle a lot of different food products at all.

I also have another dog (Gable Dodge/Nitro Feistycurl pup) that can not tolerate the synethic vitamin K (menadione) some dog food manufacturers put in their kibble. He gets severe diarrhea.

My oldest can eat just about anything you put in front of her and does fine unless she gets heat stress then she goes into diarrhea. She's almost 13 and is a Homey Don't Play and Nitro Light pup.

Hope you can clear up the digestive issues..... they can be very frustrating to deal with.

• 2 years later...

Hi Shannon,

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200705234780953&set=o.292159511913&type=1&theater

This is our Ranger (Fuzzy's Ranger), his maternal grandfather is Mi Designer :)

He came to our home last March- I was told one of the reasons he bounced back to our local greyhound group (Greyhound Options) was because the kibble he was fed had wheat in it.... (I'm assuming this is true of a lot of brands) and he was constantly having accidents. Seemed like this mystery was solved after- So sad since there are so many alternatives than to bringing him back, but I don't know the whole story and situation.

I know this thread is terribly old, but I just started looking into his lineage and saw Mi Designers WONDERFUL picture on Greyhound data (http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?showpic=148200) and someone pointed me here.

Hope your parents enjoyed many years with the Greys.

Wishing you well

Kate

Maggie is related to Beth and Beau through TNT Starwars and also has GI issues. Hum....................

Just looked at her pedigree - there's MI Designer!

My angel Dusty (in my pic) was out of TNT Star Wars (and therefore Mi Designer as well) and had a sensitive tummy. Kept finding bile in her crate in the mornings until we switched her to Nutro Sensitive Stomach and her problems stopped!

ETA: I find it very funny that your sn is DustysMom and you had a pup out of TNT Star Wars and my pup out of him was named Dusty. Just... :lol

Edited by Roo

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Guest zombrie

Mira has Mi Designer in her lines (great grand sire) and I'm convinced she could eat anything with no ill effects! She is the only one out of my 3 without a sensitive tummy

Guest greytbookert

Our Mama Ro was a Mi Designer hound. Great Idea was her racing name. She had no digestive issues. Unfortunately, we lost her to kidney failure in 2008 :(