Osteo - Symptoms

Guest luvdogs

Hi everyone; I have a question about Osteo. My male came to us with a slight fluctuation in his gate and he limps every now and then - I have noted it is always his right hind leg that bothers him. One night I had to help him up so he could come inside. He was actually laying in a spot in the backyard far away from everyone, under the trees. Kind of scared me because it was like he was going somewhere to die. I was all ready to take him to the vet the next day, then when he got up, his limp was much better and he seemed happy again, and I hate running to the vet for every little thing. Since then, he has bouts of limping, it comes and goes, always the same leg. I mentioned it at the vets when he was there for routine shots and she just said she thought it might be a bit of arthritis (of course his limp was gone that day).

I have recently been battling what we initially thought was just a possible "worm" issue, as he has been having the odd accident in his crate. Yesterday when I got home, he had bad diarreha in his crate again, and he has been dewormed and on a diet that is easy on his stomach. Now I am wondering if it could be more serious and Osteo keeps creeping into my thoughts. I feel a bit scared to take him in for that, I fear the worst. Can you tell me if anyone has had any experience with similar symptoms and how they diagnose Osteo? Thanks.

He could possibly have a sprain... Rainy acted like that with her sprain and the vet tech actually tried to argue with me when I insisted on Xrays after 6+ months of an on and off limp. She was 100% sound that day of course! :lol Sprain showed on an Xray and 2 months of limited movement later she's fine. I asked the vet about the possibility of Oseteo at that time and she said it wouldn't be an imtermindent limp. Usually it hits fast and hard. :(

------

Jessica

I would take him in for an x-ray to put your mind at ease. Go to someone who has good x-ray equipment if you can. It IS possible for osteo pain to come and go in the early stages. It's one of the reasons my vet dismissed my concerns about Neyla having it (she does). Having said that, if it's coming and going on its own, without pain meds, it's more likely it is arthritis, but if I were you, I would get the x-ray to be safe. Also, not sure about others, but when Neyla's was painful, it was bad, she would barely bear weight on that leg. With her pulled tendon years ago, and with her bad toe issues (she has some arthritis and bone loss), it was never that bad, which is how I knew this was something different. Not sure if that's typical or not though.

:goodluck that it's nothing major. Keep us posted.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

What Neyla's mom said.

Be sure to check his feet out for corns too. Sometimes corndoggies will show intermittent sensitivity to corns.

Ditto what Neyla's Mom said. With Ivy her lameness initially would come & go-was intermittant- and was very mild- but X-rays revealed the OS.

Yes, please take him in. Not to scare you, but his symptoms sound a lot like Riley's were. His limp was never very pronounced or severe so the vet thought it was just arthritis and we kept putting off xrays. By the time we did xray his osteo was very advanced, so much that I chose to let him go the next week for fear of his leg just shattering.

Of course, your boy could have any number of other things wrong. Hopefully it really is just arthritis! But not all dogs limp severly or show they are in a lot of pain. You will be stressing until you get it xrayed so might as well do it sooner rather than later. Good luck :goodluck

Edited by RileysMomma

Thanks, nope it isn't corns, checked for that. Also can't be a sprain, we have had him for over a year now and as I said he was a bit gimpy from day one. When it is really bad, he completely lifts up his leg and won't bear any weight on it at all.

What Neyla's mom said
Ditto

About a month ago, Jack who is 10 started limping, just suddenly on a Saturday. I didn't think too much at first because I was fostering a 3 yr old who was very rowdy & Jack & Smiley were trying to keep up with him. But...by Thursday he was worse & the joint was swollen. By Friday he was limping in the hind quarters also. I took him to the vet & even after the vet examined him, I insisted on xrays. The xrays showed no tumor, but did show arthritus.

The swelling has gone down a lot, the limping is hardly noticeable. But like I said I insisted on an xray. I've already lost one to osteo, I was not prepared, I want to know, so I'd go to the vet.

Guest barnabybella

Hi Luvdogs, I hope my experience doesn't worry you, it could easily be arthritis or just a bit of lameness. However, my girl started limping in May and, like you, I hate running to the vet. After about 3 weeks of on and off limping, I took her to the vets who couldn't find anything wrong with her. I took her back a week later and once again they thought it was just age (she was 10). She seemed perfectly happy otherwise. She didn't get any better so I took her for a second opinion at a racing greyhound vet. He took one look at her and told me he thought it was bone cancer. I got a couple of xrays just to confirm. Unfortunately he was right and she had to be put to sleep in July. I don't want to scare you, but from my experience it is better to be prepared. The symptons she had early on were: 'Bunny hopping' on her back legs at first, then limping on one. If the dog stops bearing weight on the limb that is affected, there is muscle wastage so the dog looks bonier than usual. My greyhound also wanted to be left alone a lot and eventually cried out if sat at a particular angle. Apart fromt he usual guilt, I wished I would have taken her to a grehound vet first off, it is no fault of other vets, but they know the breed so well. So my advice would be to take your dog to a vet that is particularly interested in greyhounds. Like I say, I hope this helps and does not unduly worry you. Good luck and I hope your boy is okay.

Experience with osteo to date, no. Lumbosacral stenosis, back problems, nerve damage, and hobbling hounds, yes.

Not sure how old your boy is but if not osteo and x-rays appear within normal limits: (1) perhaps you might try a joint supplement? (2) because it's a hind leg it is possible he has back issues, nerve damage, and/or hind-end weakness. Do you know an animal chiropractor who can evaluate him? My 58 lb female's pelvis occasionally gets out of whack and chiro adjustments have helped. I've had two hounds with lumbosacral stenosis and acupuncture has also helped tremendously; (3) as for the diarrhea - don't know. Sometimes advanced back problems and neurological damage can lead to incontinence, but I think that's more progressive in nature.

An x-ray is a good place to start. Good luck to you and your houndie.

Another vote for an xray to ease your mind :)

As has also been said, one of the things vets look for (and us humans need to be aware of it too) is indeed an intermittant limp (for osteo). But as you know there are MANY other much more simple things that can cause the same symptom.

I think though that any hound owner who has a dog who limps for more than a day (or limps intermitantly for more than a very few occassions) needs to get an xray done, just to be on the safe side.

Best of luck!

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Thanks, nope it isn't corns, checked for that. Also can't be a sprain, we have had him for over a year now and as I said he was a bit gimpy from day one. When it is really bad, he completely lifts up his leg and won't bear any weight on it at all.

Well a year is a long time. Almost if not completely unheard of for a dog to live that long with untreated osteo, but I definitely think an x-ray and further investigation is warranted for a pain issue that's been ongoing for a year. Even if it is just arthritis, a joint supplement and an NSAID to be given as needed could provide a lot of relief.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I would take him in for an x-ray to put your mind at ease. Go to someone who has good x-ray equipment if you can. It IS possible for osteo pain to come and go in the early stages. It's one of the reasons my vet dismissed my concerns about Neyla having it (she does). Having said that, if it's coming and going on its own, without pain meds, it's more likely it is arthritis, but if I were you, I would get the x-ray to be safe. Also, not sure about others, but when Neyla's was painful, it was bad, she would barely bear weight on that leg. With her pulled tendon years ago, and with her bad toe issues (she has some arthritis and bone loss), it was never that bad, which is how I knew this was something different. Not sure if that's typical or not though.

:goodluck that it's nothing major. Keep us posted.

Sutra had limping that would come and go and I would give him pain meds just because I thought it was related to him having dislocated his shoulder back in January. One vet (the chiropractor) dismissed it over and over and never even suggested an xray. When the "bouts" of limping got more and more frequent, I took him to our normal vet and asked for an xray. That's how we found the osteo :(

If it were me I'd opt for the xray. If nothing else it will give you peace of mind that it's NOT osteo. That's just my rule of thumb anymore. If I ever have an inkling, I always xray. I realize that some pups get really freaked out by that so people put it off, but honestly, I'd just bite the bullet and do it :nod

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Well a year is a long time. Almost if not completely unheard of for a dog to live that long with untreated osteo, but I definitely think an x-ray and further investigation is warranted for a pain issue that's been ongoing for a year. Even if it is just arthritis, a joint supplement and an NSAID to be given as needed could provide a lot of relief.

I agree. While it is likely not osteo, it is always good to x-ray a limping greyhound. Unfortunately the odds are not good regarding osteo. Since it has been going on so long, it is more likely that it is either arthritis in a joint or stenosis in the lower back (referred to as LS -- a narrowing of the opening for the nerves, causing pressure on the nerves).

A corn can be present under the surface of the pad and not be visible. However, after a year any corns should have grown and/or "come to the surface".

Vets who are not familiar with greyhounds may not be aware of the prevalence of osteosarcoma and LS in the breed. Corns are practically unheard of in the non-sighthound breeds.

In any case, is sounds like the pain may be bad enough that he should be medicated. You might try an NSAID (deramaxx, rimadyl, metacam, etc.) to reduce the inflammation. You can start him on joint supplements for long term management. If it gets worse, he may need to get some tramadol (tramadol is only $4 for 60 mg tablets at the Kroger Pharmacy here).

Jane