Reddish Purple Bruise On Neck

Guest argolola

Guest argolola

As explained in other post, Rudy has pancreatitis and donated blood to lower our bill.

He has thrombocytopenia and has a reddish purplish bruise on his neck. Is this normal for blood donors? Thank you.

Sounds like a bruise but I really don't know. Bumping up for you. (((hugs))) to Rudy.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Yes, they take blood from the neck (even for a blood sample to send to the lab). Beth once got some vivid bruising after a blood draw and I brought her back in rather freaked. But it's not a sign of illness or anything, just some leakage under the skin.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Energy11

Sounds like a hematoma (bruise) from the donation/blood draw.

My vet draws from the legs (*which I prefer), and last time, Oakly moved, and he had a small hematoma.

Guest argolola

Thank you all so much. I am at work right now and can't get a picture on here. He was a blood donor and even has a little red spot on his rear flank. I bet it is a hematoma, and looks worse, due to the fact that he's bald on his neck, belly and rear. Thank you again.

Sorry, just seeing this.

It is most likely a bruise from blood donation. Typically blood for donation is taken from the jugular vein in the neck. This reduces the time necessary to take a unit of blood to typically less than 10 minutes. My Joe never had a bruise from donation, but once the vet said that it was possible that one would develop because the needle had moved some and they had to "adjust" it. So it is entirely possible that your boy moved during the donation or they had some trouble with the initial needle stick. They typically need to shave the neck area but since he is has a mostly bald neck, you might not be able to determine if the red spot is where they shaved him (if they did).

If the spot is warm to the touch or swollen, I would definitely call the vet. If it doesn't start to clear up (like a bruise does), I would call the vet.

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom

Guest argolola

Thank you so much. It looks lighter in color today but maybe a little further down his neck. He is high in energy and even ran in the yard today. Oh yes, I remember the tech saying he would lay still for a while, then lurch around a bit. I appreciate all the info.