Rapid Growth Of Osteo Tumor- Visible To The Naked Eye

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Guest BorzoiMom

That was Friday I think, I'll take a new one tomorrow to see if it is actually bigger. It does have a lot of heat, I'd like to do cold hose therapy, but she is scary on a good day getting in and out of the tub. 20 minutes twice a day would be ideal, but then it's not a muscle damage (though some muscle could be getting aggravated).

I wonder if anyone does any cold/heat therapy on their osteo areas too?

Cosmo's tumor, on her right shoulder, grew to be huge. When the vet amputated he remarked about how much of the tumor was outside the bone. I'll post a photo I took the night before her surgery. You can really tell the difference between her shoulders. Amazingly, she never acted like she was in pain, though.

CosmoJune2220091.jpg

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest racergirl435

I did ice therapy with Seymour the last couple of days he was with us. It did seem to give him some relief and he tolerated it well. I would just put an ice pack under his shoulder while he was laying down (he was doing a lot of that the last few days). I know he would have let me wrap his leg with an ace bandage but I never got to that point. I wonder if you could do a topical ice rub and wrap the leg. I don't know if that sort of thing exists for dogs. My boy was very tolerant and would have let me do just about anything to him so I guess it would depend on how tolerant Rose is.

Gogh started limping on a Friday, no swelling or anything. By Monday he went to the vet for xrays, was diagnosed & then that Friday he got brought home to me (I had fallen & was at my sisters, he was at the adoption kennel being boarded). You definitly could see the tumor on his front ankle. By Monday of the next week, it was bigger & he had mets in his lungs.

Within a week he was not putting any weight on it & in a month I could not put my fingers around it.

Feb12894.jpg

Edited by Heehoo

Scoop-dog was diagnosed 9/8 and the tumor was just a small bump, smaller than a walnut.

Today, just a week later, the tumor is a little smaller than a golf ball. :wow

So, yes, osteo tumors can grow rapidly. An ice pack seems to make him feel a little better.

In my experience, the ones that are unfortunate enough to get the fast advancing osteo often have a visible tumor right away. :cry1

Sutra is 5 months post DX and I know that the area is a little larger than it should be, but you can't tell just by looking at it. We are one of the "fortunate" ones <_<

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Just some scritchies for pretty Rose.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

IMHO I wouldn't wrap it.

It's a bone cancer and with that comes pain, whether they show it or not it's painful. To add pressure with a wrap, well I can't even imagine.

I'm sure the hosing down or ice sure couldn't hurt and might help. If you have access to a hose outside instead of trying to get her in and out of a tub sure would be best.

Tons of :hope extra treats and lots and lots of love headed Rose's way.

Guest BorzoiMom

Yes, the first time I asked her to get in the tub (before any lameness at all - months ago) she went in so enthusiastically she wound up on her back. Getting out was just as bad. There's no way she's going near the tub at all. It would be perfect if we has a fast flowing stream, but there's too many gators out there. I can cold hose her at the dog park.

Guest bigorangedog

Apollo's wrist definitely had a very visible tumor.

One thing you might try is DMSO gel (vets usually use it on horses). It's an anti-inflammatory. You'd rub it on the skin and then cover with a light wrap.