Fat Globules In Poo

Guest Mollysmom10

Guest Mollysmom10

Fort started having accidents in the house yesterday, and I had read about UTI on this site. We took him in today, and sure enough. I had my DH also take a poo sample as well since he is still "soft serve-ish". Anyway, the Vet said that there looked like fat globules in his poo. They haven't done any blood work and he wants to clear the UTI before he does anything else. He also thinks that Fort is still acclimating to his new environment (we've had him for 3 weeks) -- but now I am curious. Anyone know what fat globules in poo could be? Thank you.

Guest ChasesMum

weird. I would think he ate something (raw bone? candle? something ... odd), or has worms or something.

in the 20+ years I have been in the animal field I have never heard of that either.

Finally got to talk to our "lab lady" today at work, and even asked one of our vets.....they said that fat globules in poo can simply

mean the the dog has fairly recently eaten a fatty meal, or treat, or human food. Or, it could be a pancreatic issue, where the body is not breaking down the fat like it should. Not much help, I'm afraid, but best I could come up with. What kind of food is he eating? The soft serve poo could just be from food change. I personally don't think 3 weeks is very long to adjust to a new home,

new food, etc. etc. Hope you get it all resolved.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Pancreatic unsufficiency often results in loose, fatty stools, and they can smell foul. But I'm sure your vet will get around to testing for that if he thinks it might be. It's not an emergency, but over time results in absorbtion problems and your dog will get very skinny, hungry, and just lose condition. It can happen as a result of damage following repeated bouts of pancreatitis or just out of the blue.

But yeah. If he's eaten something really fatty and he's loose anyway, you're going to see fatty poop, although personally I've never seen globules of fat in a dog with pancreatic unsufficiency (lucky me, I was the one who got to test for that, by hand, with test tubes of gelatin solution and poop, back in those prehistoric vet nurse days. :lol).

Could it have been something he's eaten, not fat at all - as someone suggested? Candle, soap, plastic? :dunno

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Mollysmom10

Thanks for the responses -- I haven't noticed him eating anything out of the ordinary -- we're still trying different foods to get him to firm up a bit. Hopefully once things settle down a bit for him, he'll adjust. I'll let you all know if the fat globules turn into anything - hopefully not. Thanks again.

Guest TBSFlame

Thanks for the responses -- I haven't noticed him eating anything out of the ordinary -- we're still trying different foods to get him to firm up a bit. Hopefully once things settle down a bit for him, he'll adjust. I'll let you all know if the fat globules turn into anything - hopefully not. Thanks again.

How many foods have you tried in 3 weeks. 3 weeks is really not enough time for a dog to settle in or a new food to adjust. Some dogs take longer than others.