Dental Care Question

tra708

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I have Petz Life or whatever that stuff is. But since I put it in the fridge, I always forget it's there! :blush I hear it is works well, though.

My guys have good teeth, thankfully, and bones and occasional scaling are all they need.

I can't personally recommend anything but based on other threads on this forum... I have purchased both the PetzLife gel and the PetzLife spray and will be starting a regimen.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest gomiesmom

I use a solution from Foster & Smith, but it's the active ingredient that does it, chlorahexidine( sp). I use sponges on a stick dipped in the solution, also alternating w/ pads noistened w/ the same solution and brushing also, but it's not as important, since I found the solution. The solution kills the bacteria that causes the issues. I swab out their mouths every night. I am a freak about dentals, used to have min. collies, who also had dental problems. Got the hounds, and more issues, so I was having them cleaned also. I have been using this wonderful combo of products and have not had my hounds teeth cleaned in two years.... vet says they're the cleanest "dog" teeth she has ever seen, much less Greyhound teeth.

It took some work, but both hounds are great about getting their teeth done. It's a labor of love, but the product w/ the chlorahexedine(sp) really does work. I did start out with clean teath, though. I started this regimine about 6 weeks after the last dental two yrs ago.

I use a solution from Foster & Smith, but it's the active ingredient that does it, chlorahexidine( sp). I use sponges on a stick dipped in the solution, also alternating w/ pads noistened w/ the same solution and brushing also, but it's not as important, since I found the solution. The solution kills the bacteria that causes the issues. I swab out their mouths every night. I am a freak about dentals, used to have min. collies, who also had dental problems. Got the hounds, and more issues, so I was having them cleaned also. I have been using this wonderful combo of products and have not had my hounds teeth cleaned in two years.... vet says they're the cleanest "dog" teeth she has ever seen, much less Greyhound teeth.

It took some work, but both hounds are great about getting their teeth done. It's a labor of love, but the product w/ the chlorahexedine(sp) really does work. I did start out with clean teath, though. I started this regimine about 6 weeks after the last dental two yrs ago.

I'm glad you said something about the chlorhexidene! I have a spray product from our local pet store that I alternate with brushing and I think his black-topped back teeth are receding but I wasn't sure. Our vets have been mentioning "dental" for Hurley's last couple of visits and he has his annual visit next week so I am rushing to catch up with his dental care!! I've never had any of mine go in for dentals yet due to raw feedings but those few back teeth are the ones in trouble and I can't maintain the same raw food schedule I used to have (grocery stores charge a lot for meat!). I am hoping I can avoid the anesthesia associated with a dental!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

I use Petzlife in addition to (or sometimes instead of) brushing. I do see a difference from using it (in our case from very good to excellent teeth), though you have to be consistent; it takes a few weeks of using it daily to really see the effect.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad