Playful Nipping

Guest aeroangie

Guest aeroangie

I must admit that at first I liked his "love bites" but now, I am experiencing them more often. Like, when I first begin to walk him on his leash, he might nip the back of my thigh. Or, when I first get home, he might do this when I am walking through the house with an armful of groceries on my butt (actually almost snagged a nice dress!) Or, when I am hugging him, he tries to reach back and do this sometimes at my hair. I thought it was cute, but now am a little worried about how to stop this as I haven't discouraged the behavior. Today, when my husband was throwing toys to him outside, he "buzzed" the tower and caught his shirt. I know he isn't trying to hurt anyone, but it's no longer cute if you know what I mean!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Guest NeroAmber

Sorry- I don't have any advice- but you're not alone! Nero doesn't do it that often anymore, but he can get into the playful nipping mode and by jingo, it hurts!

A loud "OWWWW" will get his attention and then you can correct with any word you want to use. I always did and Ah Ah, you know the sound for a short A (that's the only way I can describe it). A few of those and stopping the play immediately will get his attention.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I would try the loud OWWW first. If that by itself doesn't stop the problem I would try a gently but firm hand around his muzzle and give him a sharp NO! You don't have to yell, but say it in a deep and firm voice that some will refer to as the VOG (voice of God) and then don't play or give him any more attention until he calms down.

I know that it seems cute to those that become used to it, however if the dogs starts doing it to ppl who aren't prepared for it (such as visitors) it could create problems. I would try to 'nip it in the bud' so to speak.

A loud "OWWWW" will get his attention and then you can correct with any word you want to use. I always did and Ah Ah, you know the sound for a short A (that's the only way I can describe it). A few of those and stopping the play immediately will get his attention.

This is exactly how we got our Henry to stop the nipping, I would stop and face him and in my very firm voice just say NO BITE :shakefinger and walk away. When he realized that he was not getting any attention he stopped. He still sometimes gets so excited when he is happy, (a wonderful greyhound trait)and he will start the nipping process but as soon as I say NO BITE he stops and grabs a toy. I know it is soooooo cute when they first start to do this but then you start counting the little bite marks on your body :ohno and then it's not so cute.

Dogs do need to learn how to use their teeth carefully. I have wondered before if all the muzzling effects Greyhounds bite inhibition. Not saying it does, just wondering if it's possible. The recommendation for a sharp OWW is how I would handle it also & then ignore quite briefly. That bit of expressed startlement immediately follow by negative punishment seems. My girl did start doing some knitting, tiny littly nips with front teeth, on me after she settled in. I know some don't mind but I didn't like it. Since she wasn't hurting me I didn't do the OWW. (Though I did later with the puppy when she got rough or careless with her teeth.) In your case I would wonder if trying to tone down the excitement a bit at those points where he is most likely to try it will... um... well, nip this in the bud, I guess so he'll quit nipping you in the butt. - I'm sorry but it just had to be said. :)

Guest TeddysMom

For the first few months that I had Teddy, he was wicked with his happy, excited nips. The only thing that worked for him was a spray bottle, I just had to have several sitting around the house and on the deck. When he bit me, I will say AH AH really loudly and spray him with water. It took about 2 weeks but he finally got over using his teeth on me.

Guest LindsaySF

Rogan still gets nippy when he's excited. Aidan used to do it when he was younger. We tried the "Owww!" and it only made them both more excited and nippy. :rolleyes: I firm "No" or "Ahahah" got better results. I would also redirect his excitement and mouthiness onto something more appropriate like a toy. Now when Aidan is excited he will grab a toy and run up to us with it instead of grabbing our arm!

Guest rachel2025

Pike also does this when he gets excited out in the yard. The loud "oww" didn't work for him either, but having a toy on hand to redirect the attention has worked wonders (he will never nip if he has a toy to play with). Also, if he begins to nip, I turn around, cross my arms, and ignore him, until he calms down. If he doesn't calm down, I go inside and ignore him. The nipping has dramatically improved.

Carl is 7 and still does this when he gets super excited. It hurts like the devil, too. He doesn't even seem to "get it" when I say OWWWW and NO, so I try to redirect him, too. It happens so infrequently, it would be hard to keep a spray bottle around, though I think that might work.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014