Sick Rudy And The Ruined Carpet

Guest argolola

Guest argolola

When Rudy gets sick, or even when he's well and doesn't want to go out, he pees and poos on the computer room carpet (the carpet is 2 years old and ruined.)

He is a real simple boy with other issues (has anyone seen the horse on Family Guy? That's Rudy .) Anyway, I am on meds for an auto-immune disorder, so it lowers my ability to fight infection, thus the carpet must be clean. We have tried every cleaner known to man and it still stinks and the carpet is stained. Does anyone have a good, safe, inexpensive suggestion for cleaning and disinfecting the carpet. Vinegar was suggested on a site that I saw.

Thanks so much!

Guest ProudGreyMom

I am sorry he feels sick, poor baby.

The best thing for cleaning is to get a good enzymatic cleaner just for pet stains and also Woolite rug cleaner spray. Soak up at much of the stain as you can by spraying the cleaner, then scrub in the Woolite. Vacuum it all up when it dries.

Guest Swifthounds

Best thing for pet stains is an enzymatic cleaner and a Sham Wow or similar. I use one of the Oxy enzymatic liquids sold at petsmart. I've tried many of them and found it to be the best. You should wipe up any solids and then drench the area. Then let it sit for 10-20 minutes to do its thing and then use the shammy to pull the liquid out of the rug. If you don't drown the carpet, the enzymes don't go all the way through to the source of your problem. OTOH, if you don't putt he moisture out of the carpet quickly, that will amplify the smell. Repeat several times.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I use a combination of "stink out" and simple green. First I let the water run from the tap until it is so hot I can barely touch it, then into the cleaner it goes. I add simple green full strength. I pre-soak the area with simple green (diluted 1:1) and scrub with a hard bristle brush. Then hit the area with the steam cleaner. Once this is done, I soak the area with the "stink out". According to the directions from the stink out, you are supposed to leave the area wet with the product as it is an enzymatic cleaner and will dry out on its own without causing mold or other issues. I also rent a "rug doctor" about every 3-6 months and do the same routine as I have a 19 year old kitty with issues as well as my 3 hounds and fosters so the carpets in my home are destroyed. I am just trying to keep them looking presentable for any company that comes by.

Guest auforygirl

Steamcleaner from walmart is 80 bucks... get an enzyme cleaner for a steam cleaner make sure the water is as hot as the sun and soak the carpet. I pretreat with the enzyme cleaner by basically dumping it because when my girl pees she pees a gallon it will go down to the pad before she is even done peeing just by sheer volume. So pretreat let sit HOT WATER Steam clean.

With your issues, and his - would you consider replacing the carpet an option? We've room- by- room elimated all the carpeting in our house except for DD's bedroom. Laminate flooring is pretty inexpensive, and you can install it yourself quite easily with only a few tools. That's what we've gone to (would've loved hardwood - but the $$ didn't permit it right now).

If you price it out - replacing a room with laminate is about the same as a few carpet cleanings. I love it - I KNOW it's clean when it's swept and mopped, no hidden grossness below the surface. And when the occasionaly pee, poop or puke occurs - it's EASY to clean up.

Consider it. It's not that expensive, or that hard. My mom and I ripped up carpeting, and installed the laminate in my livingroom in a day - for $450. :)

Guest mcsheltie

This works better than ANY enzyme cleaner and is much cheaper (it costs less than $2!)

1 lg bottle peroxide

6 drops original blue Dawn

2 tbs baking soda

If you are cleaning up pee, pull the carpet up and see if it got down to the pad and sub floor. If it did, treat those first. Let it sit for a while, then blot it up with towels. Then treat the carpet. Pour it on, do not blot just let it dry. You may have to treat more than once on old spots. I have never had to, but I always use this right away.

I agree with the above. Carpet in general is really pretty gross to me. I have none and I never would if I had the choice. SO much easier with Pergo!

One more thing I want to throw in there - if the poster is considering the $$- as I think we ALL are in this economy ;) - Pergo is awesome for sure. But when we did our first room, we couldn't afford it. So - we went with a different brand, on sale at .99/sq ft. It was still a "decent" brand - but not Pergo quality. 10 years later, it's starting to show a bit of wear, and could be replaced. But we are HARD on that floor. My DD roller-bladed on it a lot, it was the entrance from the swimming pool for many dripping kids, and the dogs ran circles over it -we definately didn't baby the flooring. I've DEFINATELY gotten my money's worth out of it. Ten years on a $300 floor in the main entrance, and main hang-out room of our house (the kitchen) - yep.

Pergo is truly the best IMHO - but if it's not in the budget - other brands are, and again IMHO - a MUCH better alternative than dirty carpeting.