Do Your Greys Follow You Everywhere Around The House?

Guest TeddysMom

Guest TeddysMom

Everywhere I go, the greys follow. Even if I go back to put a load of clothes in, go to the bathroom or to get something out of the bedroom. I have had a lot of other dogs in my life and still do but none of the others follow me everwhere. It is really cute to look back and see all the greys following me then waiting until I'm done what I'm doing then follow me to the next place. They just make me smile but I almost feel guilty when they are all sleeping and I have to go do something. So is this just a GH trait?

Guest GreyRabbit

I think it's more on an individual basis than a whole breed, but as a sensitive breed known for making deep connections with their people, I'd vote for yes, it may kind of be a grey thing.

My first dog, Chuck, a lab/grey mix followed me EVERYWHERE like you described. He and I were very close though. My first retired racer Cosmo who I have had for 9 months now only follows me around if he thinks there is FOOD in it for him...

So I guess I'll stick with my original sentiment, that it's more the personal connection than the breed, but I do think they fall into the velcro dog category as a breed. You should feel lucky and very loved that your greys follow you! :wub:

I haven't gone to the bathroom by myself for years (unless DH is home!). They seem to feel a closed door is breaking some greyhound rule!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Mine used to. I'd forget, turn around and my hand swinging would sometimes 'smack' one in the nose. Now they rarely stir unless they think I'm going out to the deck. I kinda miss it.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

I cant move in my office for fear of rolling the chair over a paw, tail or ear. I haven't been to the bathroom by myself for years. Obviously I need supervision. GPJ and Isabella just come to stupidvise but Miss Skye barks bloody murder at me for peeing in the house! I gotta love'em but I just cant win.

L.

Edited by rycezmom

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest TeddysMom

I cant move in my office for fear of rolling the chair over a paw, tail or ear. I haven't been to the bathroom by myself for years. Obviously I need supervision. GPJ and Isabella just come to stupidvise but Miss Skye barks bloody murder at me for peeing in the house! I gotta love'em but I just cant win.

L.

:rofl:rofl That's hilarious. At least none of mine bark at me while on the pot. :rotfl

Guest aeroangie

OMG - I have a serious stalker. He actually walks and tilts his head slightly in front of my hip sometimes (I must need the guidance) or with his nose right up my butt! He does it to my husband too, but mostly with me. Funny, my first two did follow me, but not like THIS. You almost need a cigarette afterwards!!!

L.

I love that you get yelled at for peeing in the house! :lol And "stupidvise"? I so have to remember that word! But in answer to the original post... during the day, Summer will follow me around. Not so much at night. But speak of the devil, here she comes! <put down laptop, pause for hugs and kisses!> I find that she is following me more, the longer she lives here. And I love it love it love it! My previous dog, my heart dog (non-grey)... she followed me EVERYWHERE. We always joked that she had to be 6" from me at all times. I read somewhere, though... male greys are habitually more velcro than females and whippets in general are more velcro than greys. Not verified, not checked, don't shoot the messenger!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I've had Bijou for 9 years..it's only been in the last couple of years she doesn't have to be wherever I am. Ellie B. has been with me about 2 years and she gives me some time alone..about all of 3 minutes before she goes on her quest for Daddy.. :lol Tessa has been with me a little over a year and she has to be within 5 feet of me. And my new foster Holly will race me to the bed at night.

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I've never had any dog or foster of any breed (Shepherds, Labradors, Goldens, Greyhounds, Salukis, Whippets, Greyhounds, Borzoi) that did not follow me room to room :)

Guest NeroAmber

Both of mine follow me all over the house- but when the OH is home theres a change, as Amber luuurves him so much, if I'm upstairs and he's down, Amber will go up and down the stairs a few times trying to decide who to stick to, poor girl, clearly she thinks the OH and I should be glued together for better supervision!

Nero's a bit of a ninja... he follows me, but sometimes not immediately, for instance I'll go to the loo (same rule here- OH home= door closed) without any velcro dog, but when I come out, without any sign or noise to show he'd come up, Nero will be laying outside the door.

And yesterday he frightened me a little- I had a bath, (our bedroom and bathroom are en suite) I went in- no velcro dog and came out- (hmm, still no velcro dog)- without my glasses on (blind as a bat) to grab a towel- dried up, got dressed, put on my glasses, turn around and BOOM! Nero had been watching me the whole time, concealed by a large stuffy, a deep sofa, and my lack of glasses. I felt a little stalked... :lol

It's not unusual here to have several at one time come and visit me while I'm using the bathroom or taking a bath for that matter. Sometimes it's hard to get to the kitchen because I have to wade through a sea of hounds to get there and good lord, let me try and put ice in my glass, they hear the ice machine and come running!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Wasserbuffel

If she's awake, she'll follow me. My cats are actually bigger followers than the dog. They never seem to be able to exist on a separate level from the house as me and are most often in the same room. Unless they are in a deep sleep or I shoo them away for being annoying. All three animals know the word "out"

Hector has always been a bit of a velcro hound and whines if he's been blocked from following. Since i've been home more he's improved (probably got bored following me about) and will only come upstairs to find me if he thinks i've been gone too long. He sometimes whinges at me if DBF has gone to bed and i'm still downstairs. Throp's too lazy to follow me about unless he thinks there maybe food on offer.

Guest PiagetsMom

Piaget, no - she's a pretty independent girl. However, I don't think I'm ever anywhere that Mirage is not with me. Lately, he's decided that he needs to be with me when I take my bath and will lay on my bath mat next to the tub until I'm done. Most of the time, it's endearing, but once in a while it would be nice to have a little space. I've learned not to stop quickly or else I'll have a head bump into my behind. :rolleyes:

Some do, some don't. Around meal time everyone does...we move around our house like a school of fish :lol

OMG, this! I always wondered how those of you with a large number of dogs get around your house at all! Spud is content to watch me from his bed, if I go into another room he will follow me there most of the time. Karma is up my butt at all times, and an hour before meal time they are both glued to me, one on each side of me, I can't count how many phone calls I missed because I couldn't trip over them fast enough :)

Karma is also suspicious of the vacuum cleaner, she is not afraid, but clearly she doesn't trust it, she will follow me around with a worried look on her face and supervise the Dyson, as if she thinks it could attack me at any time.

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Yes, I can't make it to the phone either! You would think they would eventually figure out to get out of the way when it starts ringing! :rolleyes:

Lucy and Sienna both follow. Unless they are exhausted and sleeping...Sienna is sleeping now. Lucy is the worst because she wants to walk in FRONT of me and spends the whole time looking over her shoulders to see me- right, left, right left. It's very annoying. Also, she follows me into the bathroom and it takes her a long time to get out because it's so narrow. She forgets to turn around and walks in reverse instead. :lol

This whole thread has just cracked me up. I think now I'm grateful that I've got a couple of lazy boys who just raise their heads when they hear me moving around.....nothing interesting? Fine, back to lala land.

Except, of course, when the refrigerator door opens, or the car keys jingle, or the treat cupboard opens........ :rolleyes:

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

This thread is hysterical (particularly the part about being yelled at for peeing in the house :lol ). DH's greyhound, EZ, is very much a stoic dude. He will sometimes hang with us, but other times he likes his space - yet if I look over or sneak in to wherever he is, he always has one eye open or one ear up keeping track of us. When he is at his New York house w/hubby, at bed time he cuddles for 15 minutes in the bed, then leaves and goes to what was the spare room up there - but now is affectionately referred to by DH as the "dude" room. DH says that they're just two dudes sharing a house. But by morning, he is in bed for a 15 minute cuddle session as well!

My Bridge Boy Jack and my Bridge Beagle Lily followed me EVERYWHERE. Lily at the end struggled move and would limp around following me. It got to the point where I would just sit in a chair in one room so she wouldn't have to move. Nothing beats the loyalty and devotion of a dog. My two new boys, JJ and Dustin, follow me room to room and usually just do random checks on me in the bathroom - i.e. check me out in the tub to be sure I haven't drowned!!! They clearly are pack boys!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.