Flea Control 101

greytlucy

So, I've been lucky. I haven't treated my dogs for fleas in years and years - mostly because they've been at low risk for exposure outside of our house. We've recently added a new dog who gets out more than the others hvae because he's young. He's started recently at daycare so I'm concerned about him brining fleas home and need to consider using a preventive for the first time in years. Last time I did use one was Advantage but that was probably 7-8 years ago now and I know there's more research, new products, and some resistance developing.

Would someone giving me the kindergarten run-down of what's out there, the pros and cons of each? I'm in Phoenix so probably need to treat year round for right now for both fleas and ticks. Am currently using Interceptor for heartworm prevention.

AFAIK the best options for fleas and ticks both are Frontline Plus or Revolution.

I think most of the reports of resistance are urban myth, people who use half a dose every 60 days instead of a full dose every 30, etc. Nothing other than a flamethrower will kill every bug instantly. If you've got bugs in the house, yard, dog park, walking trail, etc., you WILL bring some of them home. Hopefully whatever product you use will kill most of them before they reproduce and damage the reproductive mechanisms of those who survive.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Revolution is a pill right? Any thoughts on pill vs topical?

We're going in to the vet this week for a check on teeth and I want to talk to her about this but know the answer is going to be whatever product they sell so i'd like to have some of my own ideas going in to the conversation of what might be best. He's a 5 1/2 month old puppy for what it's worth(poodle actually, not greyhound).

I haven't used Revolution so can't comment there. Might want to look it up and see if it's just a growth regulator or if it has some "fast kill" properties. I use Frontline Plus and have had excellent results with it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Revolution is a topical, applied on the skin of the withers. I use it and have used it for some years on my dogs (non-grey and now on a grey). AND I live in flea heaven! Never had a flea on the dogs or in the house, I love Revolution. Plus it does the parasites (heartworm, hookworm, roundworms, etc., and supposedly some external ones like ear mites and sarcoptic mange) so I don't need to use anything else like Heartgard. But make sure your dog doesn't have heartworm before you start it.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Sunset123

I'd say Advantage if you're only worried about fleas, but Frontline if you also have a tick risk. I've also heard that it's good to also use a medicine that breaks the flea life cycle, like Program.

I'm in a bad flea area and use Program and Advantage.

Edited by Sunset123