Ivomec

Guest luvdogs

Hi there; Just wondering what people think of IVOMEC?? I have heard that it can be used as a heart guard med and a med for getting rid of worms and parasites. We just spent $100 on Panacur and I have been probing all the farm supply stores and came across some info that people can use it with their dogs. Just curious if anyone has heard good or bad things about this medication.

Thanks!

I use it on all my dogs and have for years with absolutely no problems at all. I understand it doesn't cover all intestinal parasites but my dogs aren't really exposed to those so I can routinely worm them once a year. I use Ivomec once a month just like people use Heart Guard.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I've been using it the last 4 months and plan on using it monthly even during the winter (we don't generally give heart guard in the winter here)

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest TeddysMom

I have used Ivermectin every month for many years with the rescues plus my own dogs for HW prevention and have never had a problem with it. I do worm with Panacur and Strongid every couple of months because we live in the country with lots of wildlife.

okay, so just so I am clear, it does NOT cover the same worms as Panacur does, mainly just for heartworm? Is that correct?

Thanks.

I know it doesn't kill tapeworms but I thought it killed the other main worms

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I pulled this off a site about with Ivomec.

"It is effective against most common intestinal worms (except tapeworms), most mites, and some lice. It is not effective against fleas, ticks, flies, or flukes. It is effective against larval heartworms (the "microfilariae" that circulate in the blood) but not against adult heartworms (that live in the heart and pulmonary arteries), though technically it can shorten their lifespan."

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I use it with a couple rounds of doxy to treat heart worm positive dogs- they test negative almost invariably after 12-18 months. It's far, far cheaper than traditional HW treatment, and it's far less dangerous and painful, too. The dog can carry on with normal life, and the owner simply continues the ivomec for the life of the animal as prevention.

I use it on my own dogs for heartworm prevention. I also use it to treat dogs, particularly from the racing kennel, for ear mites. It works quickly and wonderfully against mange- both kinds- genetic demodex and dog to dog transmissible sarcoptic mange.

Ivomec is an effective killer of roundworms in puppies and adults. It has some efficacy against hookworms in its higher doses. It also kills whip worms.

It does NOT kill tapeworms.

I have seen it make a difference in very high doses against ticks, but I'm not interested in using such doses on my dogs.

My dogs get the hookworm/mange/etc dose, which is far greater than is needed for HW prevention alone. I give half a CC per 50lbs of body weight, and I dose my dogs generously. I have never had a problem and I've been using it since the mid-90s when I wasn't even out of high school yet. Several days ago, I used it on my two week old Golden puppies, and I've also dosed my 6 week old Greyhound puppies, who quickly expelled masses of roundworms.

Forgot my standard note: Ivermectin/ivomec is deadly to dogs carrying the ivermectin intolerance gene. These dogs are almost exclusively collies, shelties, border collies, and Aussies. Mixes of those breeds (such as the Silken Windhound, which is a mix of Whippet, Borzoi, and Sheltie) can also carry this gene. It is not known to be found in any other sighthound, but the occasional dog does react.

Do not give deworming/mange doses of ivermectin within a week of using Comfortis.

Thanks! Very good info here. I assume no one on here has had any big problems with it then? I am going to take a day drive and head up to my local co-op store and buy some. I am so thankful for this board, so much knowledge :colgate

• 2 months later...

I use it on all my dogs and have for years with absolutely no problems at all. I understand it doesn't cover all intestinal parasites but my dogs aren't really exposed to those so I can routinely worm them once a year. I use Ivomec once a month just like people use Heart Guard.

What is the dosage and do you use paste or the liquid?

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Be sure to purchase the Bovine/Swine Ivermectin at 1%. Do NOT get the 5% or the Sheep formula. The dosage that I go with is .5ml for all four hounds (68lbs-83lbs).

What is the dosage and do you use paste or the liquid?

I just recently heard, I think here on GT that dosing with the paste isn't as accurate as with the liquid. Not sure what that dose would be but the liquid is .10 of cc for every 10lbs. of weight. The only hounds that even get close to 1cc are my boys that weigh 90+ lbs. so it's very little Ivomec. I've been using it for 9 years now and never had a problem.

I am currently using it to treat mange (demo) in my new little girl. She has been on it for almost 6 weeks, and tested clear today at the vet. She will continue on it for another month, perhaps more, until we can be sure her immune system is strong enough to fight off the mite on her own. Her dosage was built up very slowly over the course of 2 weeks, until we reached the max dose for her weight. There have been no side effects. I tear off a piece of bread, inoculate it with the meds, then garnish her dinner with it. She inhales it. I buy it at a local feed store, for $17 less than at the vet's.